Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2015, 10:12   #1

Boat: Albin 25
Albin 25 as a liveaboard?

Sounds unlikely, I know. Just a thought - I am looking to retire in the next year or 2 but aside from a bit of capital - probably less than $50K or thereabouts depending on the housing market - I will need to rely on an income of about $1600 CDN monthly (pre tax). I have been looking into such places as Panama highlands but it just struck me - browsing the liveaboard threads on various boating forums - that one of my few assets is an Albin 25 in good shape with the MD17C that just keeps on ticking.

Since it seems I will have to strike out on my own as a single I am ruminating about how far south I could ultimately get in this little boat (from the St. Lawrence River in Ontario). I would love to tie up on the coast of central America and eke out my final years with minimal overhead and what would then become a decent income level.

Is this thought just completely insane?
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 03:05   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Albin 25 as a liveaboard?

This is definitely a viable plan, but it's a long harsh trip to Central America.

What is the type and condition of the engine in your Albin? What would be the status of your health care insurance as an expat?

I would consider an easier path to a warmer winter destination with a fairly low cost of living that can be found in the Southeast US. You can find marinas for your size boat away from the south Florida tourist areas with costs of around 250USD/month for your slip and utilities.

Keep us posted of your adventure!
Old 21-08-2015, 04:26   #3

Boat: Albin 25

Thanks for the input. As I look into the realities of the proposed voyage I found that the ICW actually brings me all the way to the Mexican border near Brownsville, thus avoiding a crossing and the fear of losing power out of sight of land. Of course I would have the old MD17C thoroughly tuned up etc. beforehand. Being close to landfall means that a total breakdown would not necessarily be a disaster.

I cannot qualify for residency in the US, but can in Central America where the highland climate is to my liking (as opposed to that of Florida). There will come a time when I might well wish to abandon life aboard. Being Canadian I have no need at this time for medical insurance and would never be able to afford US rates. Good health coverage is much more available in Central America.

Have made no decisions so far.
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 14:54   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

The ICW is not a contiguous and easy passage to Mexico from
Tarpon Springs (just north of Tampa) to the Mexican border. Further travel along the Mexican coast has few good inlets and long commitments to offshore travel. Not many cruisers would challenge this trip to Central America with your vessel.

If you add the market value of your boat to the cost of the voyage, it's likely that you could sell your boat and buy something nice in Rio Dulce for less than that total.

When you look at the more favorable locations for expats in Central America, I do not think that the border areas of Northern Mexico would make the list.

edit: Maybe I'm being too negative. 'not my kind of trip in that type of vessel, but others might do well.
Old 22-08-2015, 17:14   #5

Ive crossed the gulf from Florida to Isla Mujeres 7 times. Three of those, in under thirty ft boats. Its generally a very mild four day trip. I'm sure if your Albin is in good shape it would make it across. If you try to follow the coast down from Texas, you will run into some areas that are really shallow. The area especially shallow for many miles is right above the Yucatan peninsula. I was once caught in a quick blow right Outside of the Dry Tortugas. Ten ft waves and 40 knots of wind. You might check out the Rio Dulce. it is a lovely place to live and you could live well on your income. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard