Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 06:30   #1
CFR

Aladdin oil lamp

Hi from germany, i just have a simple question. I found a Aladdin lamp here in a shop and they lit it for me, wonderful bright light and heat. Here it is not well known we only have the DH oil lamps or the nice danisch Stelton which are not giving such bright light.

I only concerned about this mantle . I my gasoline coleman pressure lamp it was very fragile and i had to change it very often, normally everytime i moved the lamp arround . As the mantle is quite expensive ( 20 USD here in Europe) i like to know how fragile they are. How about the motor vibration when motoring ?

I will hang the lamp in the cabin but als want to use in the cockpit.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:54   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Aladdin oil lamp

Never touch a mantle anyplace except the frame. Even if the protective coating has not been burned off. Doing so will leave an oil spot that will cause additional heat and early mantle failure.

Once the protective covering is burned off, the mantle is very fragile and can be destroyed by tilting or jarring the lamp. Handle a lamp with a mantle gently and don't tilt it.

High humidity storage has been implicated in early failure of mantles. If this is indeed a primary cause of early mantle failure and you wish to store mantles for future use, placing them (still in their boxes) in a sealed plastic bag along with a packet of desiccant seems like a good idea.

Aladdin Mantle Lamp Company Mantle Category

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 23:20   #3
CFR

Hi Gord, thanks for info this is normal procedure. So far so good but how does it work in reality. Normally if it hang in it 3 chains it will def. moved arround slowly and when punding into seas there is gentle movement. Anyone here who is operating a alladin on board ?
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 23:34   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I use to use the Coleman propane type years ago but when LED's came out it seem to do just as well without the problems. Although, I do miss the heat it generated for the night.
Old 05-01-2012, 00:06   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The Aladdin is the only non pressurized oil lamp that puts out enough light to actually be useful. The mantles were relatively robust but they are just silk turned to carbon so probably won't take sharp knocks. Using them around the house didn't have a problem. Use lamp oil in them. Mantles were quite cheap back 20 years ago when we used ours regularly. Haven't priced them recently but would think they'd still be reasonable. Kerosene will soot up the wick if you turn up them up to get good light. They weren't really intended as marine lanterns but there were suspended models that would work on a boat.

These lamps have quite a following and there used to be several websites devoted to them. Still have ours in the store room. Haven't used it since we got electricity in '88.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil lamp