Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2017, 18:34   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
AGM or Wet Cell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
No such luck, uh?

Sorry I forgot. There is a thread about panel installations just recently.
Mine is three 250W panel on the davits that for a roof for the dinghy and another just in front of those three over the biminiClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0247.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	153703
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0238.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	153704  
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 18:46   #122

Boat: Island Packet 349
Re: AGM or Wet Cell

Thank you! Good use of space.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 19:32   #123

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post

Changing the subject here: Has anybody found a reliable way to get the best price for old lead? I'm in Colorado if that becomes pertinent.
It depends on the lead you are selling. If it is batteries, you are pretty limited due to regulations in the US and the recyclable uses for that sort of lead, along with the impurities it has. Making musket balls or bullets with battery plates is dangerous and can cause real damage to the internal noggin (from someone who breathed that gas once and nearly passed out from it-Strontium gas I think?). The battery lead also has gobs of impurities that make it cast poorly, so we lead casters don't really like it when it does come around, at least that was the case when I was in that business.

Now, if the lead is an old sailboat keel, ballast bars, EM shielding, hospital door or equipment counterweights, etc., I can recommed multiple ways to sell it, and the person buying it from you will even pay the shipping for it. I used to purchase about 2000 pounds a quarter, and cast so many bullets and sinkers for sale that I actually wore out four furnaces and a few moulds in a few years time. I also netted a reasonable return on my casting time, and paid the utilities and mortgage that way for a while. I additionally by accident had more bullets than I could shoot, 6 month backlog of bullet orders at one point, and I sold sinkers like they were going out of style. I also made fishing lures for sale as well, and life was nice.

Let me know if you need pointers. Heck I think I even still have a lot of moulds left...
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:32   #124

Boat: 1975 hunter 30

I use atm because wet cell of gas and kept setting alarm,boat could blow up.Have used gel or agm and no alarm in ten years.If you have areas that have been sealed of from living areas,that is vented to out side and you have easy access to check water wet cell is best way to go.Hope this helps.
captrick2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 14:37   #125

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrick2011 View Post
I use atm because wet cell of gas and kept setting alarm,boat could blow up.Have used gel or agm and no alarm in ten years.If you have areas that have been sealed of from living areas,that is vented to out side and you have easy access to check water wet cell is best way to go.Hope this helps.

Yeah, those *&^% wet cells cause soo many boats to blow up every season, some have suggested banning them
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:06   #126

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingFan View Post
It depends on the lead you are selling. If it is batteries, you are pretty limited due to regulations in the US and the recyclable uses for that sort of lead, along with the impurities it has. Making musket balls or bullets with battery plates is dangerous and can cause real damage to the internal noggin (from someone who breathed that gas once and nearly passed out from it-Strontium gas I think?). The battery lead also has gobs of impurities that make it cast poorly, so we lead casters don't really like it when it does come around, at least that was the case when I was in that business.

Now, if the lead is an old sailboat keel, ballast bars, EM shielding, hospital door or equipment counterweights, etc., I can recommed multiple ways to sell it, and the person buying it from you will even pay the shipping for it. I used to purchase about 2000 pounds a quarter, and cast so many bullets and sinkers for sale that I actually wore out four furnaces and a few moulds in a few years time. I also netted a reasonable return on my casting time, and paid the utilities and mortgage that way for a while. I additionally by accident had more bullets than I could shoot, 6 month backlog of bullet orders at one point, and I sold sinkers like they were going out of style. I also made fishing lures for sale as well, and life was nice.

Let me know if you need pointers. Heck I think I even still have a lot of moulds left...
I'd guess that over 95% of the lead acid batteries are of the lead calcium variety. The calcium lowers the self-discharge rate and water usage. Calcium is also very cheap. High performance solar and traction/forklift batteries tend to be pure lead and seem to cost a lot more.

Yes....I don't think calcium would be good in a musket ball/bullet.

Thanks for the input!
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm