Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-11-2014, 14:47   #16

Re: AGLCA V's Activecaptain

We're heading down the Tombigbee this morning. Have a great trip and stay safe. Chuck[/QUOTE]

If y'all decide to stretch your legs out in Columbus,MS I'm 2 blocks away from the Tombigbee on the West side. Right on the Riverwalk.Not sure of the air draft, though.
Would love to take yall to dinner and pick your brains(that sounds gross after Halloween).
Downtown Columbus is charming. Both historically and aesthetically,
If you go to "the" marina, don't let the guy working there sway your judgement!

Old 04-11-2014, 15:27   #17

Go to old hickory steak house if it's still there. Best t bones around!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 04-11-2014, 15:45   #18
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCall View Post
There is no cost for Active Captain other than the computer/phone/tablet to view it on. Just go to www.activecaptain.com and it is all there.
Well, you're going to need Internet access while underway. That's going to cost.
Old 04-11-2014, 15:47   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
The AGLCA is the most authoritative place for information on the Great Loop. Active Captain is good, but AGLCA is where you'll be able to discuss details with folks who have done it (many of them several times). Membership is only $69 for a year. For a trip like this, MORE than well worth it!
I agree. Active captain can tell you about marinas and anchorages and trouble spots but it can't give you the advice that people who have actually done the trip can.
Old 04-11-2014, 15:47   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
Go to old hickory steak house if it's still there. Best t bones around!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
It's still here!
Old 04-11-2014, 16:33   #21

Boat: Her Shine Newburyport 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Well, you're going to need Internet access while underway. That's going to cost.
Active Captain works with out WIFi. The info is as recent as your last update. Days or weeks old... Better than a two year old guide book. The AGLCA is a very good resource well woth the few $$.

Another resource
http://www.waterwayguide.com/waterwa...tes/nav/CAR-GA

But the cold can kill, be prepaired
Old 04-11-2014, 17:03   #22

Be conservative with fuel estimation. Cold air, more fuel usage. Add to that Obamification of winter fuel, expect 10% more fuel usage with oxygenated gas.
Old 04-11-2014, 17:26   #23

Boat: Her Shine Newburyport 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdseed View Post
Be conservative with fuel estimation. Cold air, more fuel usage. Add to that Obamification of winter fuel, expect 10% more fuel usage with oxygenated gas.
IMHO ethinol is a very bad idei and we can blame our politicians. But this happened before obamaifcation
Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-11-2014, 22:33   #24

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'

I would like to THANK EVERYONE for the great advice & my thinking now is , have both ! Also for those that are concerned with my well being , It is very nice too know there are a big group of caring people . The weather has changed so much this past week i have too cut firewood & keep this 35'x40' pole barn worm. that means progress on the boat has slowed down some. I will keep worm , play it by ear,keep pushing to paradise even if it means spring ! Thanks again sincerely steve .
Old 05-11-2014, 06:24   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capecoder View Post
IMHO ethinol is a very bad idei and we can blame our politicians. But this happened before obamaifcation
Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I just like to write 'Obamafication'.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:48   #26

On comment of range and fuel stops, could the OP take a couple gas cans into a town gas station along the way rather then fuel up in a marina, is that an option for him?

Also I agree with "if he is hauling you, why not get hauled further down approach, trucking covers alot of ground in a day!

All the best, sounds exciting.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:07   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinmike View Post
On comment of range and fuel stops, could the OP take a couple gas cans into a town gas station along the way rather then fuel up in a marina, is that an option for him?
Yes, we do that when possible as it typically saves $0.75-1.00/gallon.

The gray area is officially most marinas prohibit you from bringing fuel into the marina. As the marinas will likely be fairly empty and may have their fuel pumps shut down, you may have some leaway.

Also, some towns have free courtesy docks and there usually aren't specific rules listed. The issue is some of those docks get pulled out for the winter, so be careful counting on them.

If you do go this route, consider taking a folding wagon. 50' with a couple 5 gal jugs is not a problem. They get really heavy after a 1/4 mile of carrying them.

Assuming your outboard is reasonably new, I wouldn't worry too much about ethanol. The issues with ethanol usually stem from a couple of issues that won't apply:
- Older engines had hoses and rubber parts that could be damaged by the ethonal. Newer engines don't have that issue (check your engine manual for fuel requirements).
- Most boat related ethonal issues can be traced back to fuel that sits for months absorbing water from the air until it eventualy phase seperates and you have water sitting at the bottom of the tank that gets sucked into the engine. If you are on the move burning thru the fuel within a week, the fuel will get burn before it can absorb enough water to seperate.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:21   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Yes, we do that when possible as it typically saves $0.75-1.00/gallon.

The gray area is officially most marinas prohibit you from bringing fuel into the marina. As the marinas will likely be fairly empty and may have their fuel pumps shut down, you may have some leaway. .............
I think it's more that they prohibit refueling in the slips and that's for safety reasons. Now if the marina sells fuel, walking to the gas station and buying fuel to save a few dollars would be frowned upon.

My experience (with diesel) is that the savings is usually only about $.25 per gallon over marina fuel. Of course, marina fuel prices can vary significantly so if it's a concern, consult active captain or some other resource for current prices.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:39   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I think it's more that they prohibit refueling in the slips and that's for safety reasons. Now if the marina sells fuel, walking to the gas station and buying fuel to save a few dollars would be frowned upon.

My experience (with diesel) is that the savings is usually only about $.25 per gallon over marina fuel. Of course, marina fuel prices can vary significantly so if it's a concern, consult active captain or some other resource for current prices.
I've seen enough spilled fuel and stupidity at the gas dock, I've long since given up on the "safety" reason. It's mostly to avoid being undercut. If you take reasonable care, it's no more dangerous.

I specifically said it's a gray area because most marinas do prohibit bringing in outside fuel but because they likely will have the pumps shut down, there is a good chance, they will be reasonable about it.

Most outboards run on gasoline, so diesel prices are likely not relevant. But even with diesel prices a $0.25 difference would be unusual based on my experience. We didn't cover a lot of ground this past summer but the $0.75-1.00 extra for diesel or gas is what we saw and is consistent with past years where we covered more ground. If you can get it within $0.25, I wouldn't bother hauling jugs and I doubt you would see others sneaking in 5 gal jugs either.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:26   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinmike View Post

Also I agree with "if he is hauling you, why not get hauled further down approach, trucking covers alot of ground in a day!

All the best, sounds exciting.
The answer is probably not. The river system you plan to travel will have fewer stops than what you may be used to. Whether the marina allows it or not, the problem will be that there will no no where to walk to for fuel. In your case, your going to need to carry a fair amount with you and buy fuel as often as you can. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: