Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 09:19   #226

Back on the subject of ACA...I just found out that in my home state of PA it will cost me about $250 per month. If I relocate 30 miles away to Marylqnd...$0
Tantalus is offline   Reply
Old 05-11-2013, 09:27   #227

Boat: Catalina 36
Re: Affordable Care Act - catastrophic plans cancelled

Here's a reason to avoid US insurance altogether (for cruisers).

You really get more bang for your buck elsewhere.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:37   #228

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

One more encouraging post here for people to show some self discipline in their posts. This is a very good discussion overall, and it would be a shame for it to be shut down because of snarky, selfish comments. I'm really impressed with all you bored, pissed-off, old people for showing the restraint you have so far. I'm really kidding, I know there are frustrations, but it is not relevant to US cruisers and health care world-wide.

If you feel angry, simply don't post here please, in the interest of continued civil, relevant discourse.

Moderators, can we just selectively shut users down instead of the thread? The shutting down and restarting of threads creates a disconnect in the knowledge base, and this is some important stuff.

I know people who travel to latin america for medical care. It is pretty common Mark, but not for the masses. I have had VERY good care in Cuba, and I like the pharmacy model in Costa Rica - bypassing the Doc for many things.

Asset protection is a very good way of describing your catastrophic plan.

The idea of buying into a plan when diagnosed is understandable, but is going to be a major issue as we move forward. Having pre-existing protection will allow people to cash in big on insurance without having paid in over the years. Not sure how that will go. It would be like Boat US paying a claim for insurance you bought after storm damage.

Us thirty-somethings are very curious what it will look like for us. My work is breaking me slowly, despite a healthy lifestyle, and I take advantage of my health insurance way more than I'd like. My coverage is $7800 a year for myself and two dependents, employer pays 2/3. Wife on her own plan for less than $100 a month, catastrophic type, because she does not ever use health care. Even had the babies at home for free.

I can see health care being an important part of planning a cruise for some people. Here's wishing you all good health and fair winds-
cheoah is offline   Reply
Old 05-11-2013, 09:43   #229

Boat: Boatless

When on topic this thread has been very helpful...

When I check prices for approximately equivalent bronze plans I find an almost two fold difference in monthly premiums.

The questions are:

Have the Feds scrutinized or set minimum financial standards for companies offering plans or are there lots of new companies "jumping on the band wagon" who might fail when the bills come in for catastrophic cases?

Will the Feds underwrite failed companies?

Have the major private hospitals in each city "signed on" to all the companies offering plans in that area?

Will the lower cost plans find themselves without health care providers?

I partly answered my own question...one lower cost provider listed by the Healthcare.gov website for Miami does not have a cardiologist or participating hospital listed within 100 miles of Miami.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply
Old 05-11-2013, 09:55   #230

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

The Kaiser Family foundation has a lot of information. Quite an extensive FAQ page here Frequently Asked Questions | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
or get an estimate by state here State-by-State Estimates of the Number of People Eligible for Premium Tax Credits Under the Affordable Care Act | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
For Consumers: Understanding Health Reform For Consumers: Understanding Health Reform | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
Gadagirl is offline   Reply
Old 05-11-2013, 09:56   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
Did you want a crown?

I'm 50 years old. Any health issues now are 1) unlikely anything I'll be able to plan for. and 2) really expensive.

Not sure how long ago your surgery was, but the cost of health care has steadily been increasing over the last several years.
What choices did you make in life that put you at 50 years old, and unable to pay for your own medical care?

I would like to have retired ten years ago, but couldn't afford to. What makes your desire more worthy than mine?
Old 05-11-2013, 09:59   #232

It's just insurance.

The only "fed" part is that if you buy through their system, you might get a discount. Nothing more.

...in response to Moondancer. I just took to long to type.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:01   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
What choices did you make in life that put you at 50 years old, and unable to pay for your own medical care?
Go back and read. I chose not to allow someone to continue misusing government money.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:02   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
It's just insurance.

The only "fed" part is that if you buy through their system, you might get a discount. Nothing more.
A discount? Where does that come from? From payments from other members forced to buy it? Taxpayers? QE? Treasury bonds? It has to come from somewhere.

Contrary to some opinion, Obama does not have a "stash".
Old 05-11-2013, 10:10   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
A discount? Where does that come from? From payments from other members forced to buy it? Taxpayers? QE? Treasury bonds? It has to come from somewhere.

Contrary to some opinion, Obama does not have a "stash".
Wow. Somebody has issues.

Dude, if you don't like it, don't buy it. The financial impact of not buying insurance this year is minimal and it gives you a whole year to think through options and figure out what works best for you.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:18   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Beam me up Scotty, no sign of intelligent life here.

Sorry I just couldn't resist.

I can only tell you the reality. It's up to you whether to try and understand it. What part do you disagree with? Do you think that there is a free market for health care? That it's easy to research costs and pay for health care? I'm maintaining that most people don't know or care what their health care procedures cost, other than perhaps choosing from several options for overall care that their companies provide.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply
Old 05-11-2013, 10:29   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
Not true. I have exclusively paid cash for care for over 2 years. I suspect that the "cash pay" marketplace is going to expand as folks face higher deductibles and scarcity of care.

Today I am checking into an ultrasound of my gall bladder (if I can ever get off of CF). So far, I have found 2 places where I can afford to have it done.

Check out American Association of Physicians and Surgeons
How do you find out costs?

85% of Americans have health insurance or coverage, so they're not researching and making decisions about health care procedures based on cost, other than choosing among available coverage options. Not many people are choosing their cardiac surgeons based on cost, unless their health plan rules out providers for their plan.

So that leaves the other 15% who might make decisions based on cost, though this information isn't readily available, is it?

Oddly enough, it appears that people with insurance pay LESS for procedures than people who pay cash, at least if you try to decipher bills that go to your insurance company.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply
Old 05-11-2013, 10:46   #238

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Oddly enough, it appears that people with insurance pay LESS for procedures than people who pay cash, at least if you try to decipher bills that go to your insurance company.
Very true. Even if you have insurance and have not met your deductible yet, you can pay cash for the service what the insurance would have paid if your deductible had been met.

That according my excellent independent insurance agent and my experience with my 10,000 deductible insurance I used to have.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:52   #239
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Poster
Did you want a crown?
A little disapointing that we have to keep going after PEOPLE rather than the topic. Since when did paying for your own needs get you a sarcastic attack? Again disapointing and a little sad...

Heck I though we all got a lecture a few posts back on how some people were appearing to be BETTER than others...better at what...snide attacks? That isn't what this thread is about! I loved seeing how well Mexico ranks in terms of cost...been there...done that.

We have had a GREAT discussion here folks...wtih some great ideas that will be useful for us...lets keep our emotions in check and stick to the issues or the Mods will jsut shut is down for good cause.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 05-11-2013, 11:07   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
A little disapointing that we have to keep going after PEOPLE rather than the topic. Since when did paying for your own needs get you a sarcastic attack? Again disapointing and a little sad....
um, yeah. This would be funny if I didn't think you actually meant it.

Anyway.

I've never dealt with catastrophic-only insurance. Maybe someone would be willing to point out the differences between what they had, and what they would be required to get now?

I never intended to have US insurance once we leave the coast, so I admit I'm a little single-minded on this.