Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2017, 15:57   #1

Boat: Nautitech 482
Affordable berth in Croatia

Hey, does anyone have any recommendations for a marina - ideally on the hard - in Croatia for wintering that isn't too expensive? For a catamaran so needs to be a reasonable size...thanks.
LydiaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 23:56   #2

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler
Re: Affordable berth in Croatia

After reading the Noonsite on Croatia I wouldn't go near the place. Too much corruption for me.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
After reading the Noonsite on Croatia I wouldn't go near the place. Too much corruption for me.

I do not know what you are talking about, I am cruising Croatia for 10 years now and never have slightest problem not once they were asking money or had to bribe someone.We didn't have any issues with either the Port Police or Harbour masters. I just checked Noonsite there no one single word about corruption in Croatia, apart that there were dinghy thefts in 2012, again nothing to do with Croats, they caught two brits and two Italians stealing dinghies, I was in the area at the time and remember that very well, even police came on board asking is it anything missing from our boat . or if it is expensive for someone then do not go there or when you do go there (or any other country) then do not complain, no one forced you to go there.. I think problem is that some of you going there with vision of third world country and expecting locals to kiss your ass. Croatian boarder authorities could be unfriendly as any other EU boarder authority when you show disrespect. I guess in your own countries you are prized for non following/disobeying border control rules and regulations.

and just to be clear, I am not Croat, I am Czech.

Regarding berth, they are building new marina in Dubrovnik, it will be ready for this summer.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/gq9e9oftt/][/url

royalstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:44   #4

I regularly spend holidays in Croatia, never encountered any problems, no sailing though. What I've heard that rules are 100% enforced on foreigners, especially foreign businesses while the locals can "go free".
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:30   #5

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43

We've been sailing in Croatia between 2011 and 2013. We truly enjoyed the people, the country and its fantastic sailing grounds. One might find it a little expensive, other than that it's a great place to sail. As for leaving your ship in an unexpected pensive place, you might want to investigate ACI Marina in Pula. Smaller than most ACI marina it is somewhat less expensive. We kept ours in the water with someone to look after and hulled her out for maintenance prior to our arrival. Pula is a nice town with a well restaured roman Arena. Italian influence great unexpensive restaurants. Accessible by Ferry daily from Venice.
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:38   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Affordable Marina in Croatia - sorry had a five minutes brake before I could stop loughing - No serious now. Cheapest solution in Marina is Veli Iz or maybe Ramova, Krvacica, Makarska - max 20 tons lift
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:44   #7

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

We have kept our boat in Croatia for 7 years and would regard Croatia as one of the most honest countries in the EU.
As to a cheap berth, marinas on the islands are significantly cheaper, check ACI marinas on islands. We are in Milna on Brac and pay about 5300 Euro year for cat<12m. Vlaska and the newer NCM marinas also in Milna are reputedly cheaper.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:23   #8

Boat: Northwind 50 - 50ft - Camille

Just North of Croatia is Slovenia and if you are prepared to sail that far I can recommend 'Yacht Center' in Izola. This is not the main marina in Izola but a boat yard with good craftsmen. Plenty of hard standing and you can work on your boat as you wish. My yacht is laid up there at present and I find their cost very reasonable and rather more so than Croatian marinas. Nearest airports are Venice/Marco Polo and Pula.

I have found Croatians wanting a full pound of flesh at most opportunities but never have I encountered corruption. For example, on motoring North from Montenegro in evening time I lost power and anchored off a small island in Croatian waters for the night (without landing)

Having fixed the problem at dawn I then motored towards Gruz which is Croatia's most southerly immigration port. I was stopped by maritime police on the way and fined €250 in a not too courteous manner because I had not telephoned/radioed in to report entry into Croatian waters. My pilot book did not report this reporting in by radio as necessary.

I think my AIS gave me away! So switch off transmissions in Croatia.

I don't mind paying a significant fee to enjoy their beautiful coastline but that episode coloured my attitude to Croatia and Croatians and will not be forgotten.

I have sailed around widely and I don't believe any other country I have visited would be so grasping (although I have read Sicily can be similar).

'Caveat Nauta'.
Camille1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:23   #9

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Come on! Croatia is tuned up to the charter business, pretending to extract money from each and everyone.

As such, it sounds awful per capita, on a small crew/family boat.

ACI marinas are a "private" expensive business up to nomenklatura.

Yet, you pay also for entering waters.....maybe uniquely so in the world??

I stopped in Tremiti islands and along Puglia. Sicily is heaven compared to Croatia....
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:25   #10

what can I say, no such a thing as a free lunch (apart for those that are stealing fruit from local gardens and water from park sprinklers that I saw with my own eyes). If you do not like, or can not afford, stay in your own waters and enjoy your free sailing, or sell the boat and take gardening or dog walking.

More space for as who do not go to Croatia (or any other place) and will eat own **** if they can get it for free.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:37   #11

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

This post is about "affordable ..." and there are none, or a few unknown to most, in Croatia, where former spouse to a former dictator daughter was given the ACI well knitted monopoly.

Pricing caters to overstuffed charter boats. A choice. A misery for the rest.

My 54' paid 120eur/d in 2012

There is no reason to make ill placed irony. This is a place for unbiased information, as we hope so.
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:06   #12

...and they said corupttion in croatia.....

US, 03:35 03.03.2017

Seven Baltimore Cops Arrested on Racketeering Charges.

On Wednesday seven Baltimore police officers were arrested on racketeering charges, for extorting or stealing up to $200,000 from their victims. Prosecutors say the cops also stole drugs and weapons.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:05   #13

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydiaS View Post
Hey, does anyone have any recommendations for a marina - ideally on the hard - in Croatia for wintering that isn't too expensive? For a catamaran so needs to be a reasonable size...thanks.
Contrary to popular myth, Croatia isn't any more expensive than most other Mediterranean countries - especially France, Italy, Spain and Turkey. Check out a few marina websites and you'll see what I mean.

Anyway, addressing your question, we've lifted out at both Marina Kastela near Split (Marina Kaštela) and Marina Dalmacija near Zadar (Overview | D-Marin Dalmacija), both of which have large hard standing areas.

We've cruised all over the Med in the past 15 years and returned to Croatia as it combines the best cruising grounds in the Med with the best level of organisation for cruising yachts.

Of course, as with all things you get what you pay for...

GORDON KNIGHT
Old 03-03-2017, 09:40   #14

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Love Croatia. Never had a problem. Corruption is everywhere. It's all about personal connections. Check out Rovingn. While you are there go eat at Blu.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 14:10   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Just checked some prices again to make sure:

Marina Brest France de 13.00 à 13.99 2 588,20€ I think annual means year or not?

Yachthafen Hamburg upt 16m €16/day
Members 4x14m =56m² = 4.500,--€ one time payment for the berth
Annual payment 1047,90 €

That's in comparism with the med prices in Spain, Italy and Croatia so far.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Croatia