Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2016, 18:24   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Advice on choice of home ports

I recently purchased a Tashiba-31. She is currently berthed in Seattle under a temporary permit. The specifics of the permit are that I need to remove the boat from Washington waters by May 2017 and have to stay out for 2 years. Originally, this was not a problem. I planned to move the boat down to SF Bay where my job is. I expected to be in the SF Bay area for another 3 years, then retire and go sailing the west coast.

As fate sometimes does to plans - many things have changed and I will be out of a job by this December! So now I'm at a loss for where to keep the boat. My original plan was to use the time in SF to hone my off-shore skills, then a trip to Hawaii as a final exam followed by a summer sailing the inside passage, winter over in Seattle, then head south for while.

So now I'm wondering where I should go in May. I really need some time on the boat getting ready before heading to the blue. I could still come down to SF Bay, but it's kinda expensive down here. What about Portland? Could Vancouver BC be an option?

Suggestions?
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 18:41   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Advice on choice of home ports

Why not do the inside passage to SE Alaska in May? Good time to leave.
Who is telling you must leave WA by may, is it some tax issue?
Old 28-08-2016, 19:37   #3

It's a tax thing.
Old 28-08-2016, 20:44   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Sail to Astoria. Oregon is a no sales tax state. Dockage is probably cheaper than Seattle. Portland is probably about the same as Seattle. On the Columbia River there are a number of marinas less expensive than Portland. I stay at a private dock in the winter. A few of those around if you can find them.
The trip south is going with the prevailing winds and swells.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 08:56   #5

I've heard that Astoria has a big problem with sea lions?
Old 29-08-2016, 09:55   #6

How could you do better than visiting your friendly neighbours for a coupla years if you are unemployed anyway?

Go north, Young Man :-)!

I'm damnsure I could find you a slip in Vancouver, a city that is consistently rated one of the best cities in the world in which to live. Employment prospects are also good in many areas of endeavour. You'd just have to understand that all you think you know about "the law" cuts no ice here. Play by our rules and life could be a bowl of cherries :-)!

You could PM me if you like.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 10:36   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I believe lepke has the solution. I know someone that bought in Fl. lives in Cal. and shipped the boat to Or. to avoid sales tax.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 10:46   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You retiring early? Will you still have a land home?
If yes and no, I think I would go South, down to Mexico, gotta be expensive and COLD up North?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 11:55   #9

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
I recently purchased a Tashiba-31. She is currently berthed in Seattle under a temporary permit. The specifics of the permit are that I need to remove the boat from Washington waters by May 2017 and have to stay out for 2 years. Originally, this was not a problem. I planned to move the boat down to SF Bay where my job is. I expected to be in the SF Bay area for another 3 years, then retire and go sailing the west coast.

As fate sometimes does to plans - many things have changed and I will be out of a job by this December! So now I'm at a loss for where to keep the boat. My original plan was to use the time in SF to hone my off-shore skills, then a trip to Hawaii as a final exam followed by a summer sailing the inside passage, winter over in Seattle, then head south for while.

So now I'm wondering where I should go in May. I really need some time on the boat getting ready before heading to the blue. I could still come down to SF Bay, but it's kinda expensive down here. What about Portland? Could Vancouver BC be an option?

Suggestions?
Hi DMK,

We also purchased our current boat in WA [2014], but we left within the 45 day limit so we can return for that long at a time. It sounds like you opted for the 12 month cruiser's extension [my label...] so you must not return for 24 months or else pay the ~10% local sales tax.

Do you plan to live on your boat once you return to it? If so, as others have already mentioned, you only have a couple of close-by choices if you don't want to pay the extra 10%; North or South; Oregon, British Columbia, or Alaska. You need to decide where you would like to live while you prepare your boat.

We keep our boat in southeast Alaska on Wrangell Island. It is fairly cheap here. [under US$2k/yr for a 50 ft slip. You pay your own electric, and a $90/month live-aboard fee if you are onboard at the slip for more than 14 days in a month...] Wrangell has a good boating infrastructure with great boat yards [with a 350 ton lift] and associated services but you need to mail order any significant or unique parts as local suppliers only stock the basic items.

The communities in SE AK all have a local sales tax, but no property tax on boats. Alaska has no income or sales tax... [yet...]

Winters in Wrangell are mild compared to elsewhere in Alaska. [If you are interested, see our Climatology page if you want more details about the climate, and why we chose Wrangell as a home port for now...]

Best wishes with your endeavor.

Cheers! Bill
Old 29-08-2016, 15:57   #10

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Spud Point Marina in Bodega Harbor charges $316/mo for a 48 foot slip. They also have 36 foot slips for less.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 21:19   #11

Boat: 1971 cal 27

i believe, unless your boat is your home, ports in your home are referred to as windows. i could be wrong...
we go wherever we want to go. that's what a ship is, you know. it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails. that's what a ship needs. but what a ship is...really is...is freedom---captain jack sparrow
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 23:48   #12

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Sail to Astoria. Oregon is a no sales tax state. Dockage is probably cheaper than Seattle. Portland is probably about the same as Seattle. On the Columbia River there are a number of marinas less expensive than Portland. I stay at a private dock in the winter. A few of those around if you can find them.
The trip south is going with the prevailing winds and swells.
So what's it like 'crossing the bar' into the Columbia?
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 01:34   #13

Would you not be liable for property tax in California?

Cheers,

John
JBBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 05:50   #14

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBNE View Post
Would you not be liable for property tax in California?

Cheers,

John
John,

He will be liable for personal property tax in California. Moreover, he will have to register the yacht in California and in doing so will have to present the title to the yacht and proof that a sales tax was previously paid, or pay a tax in California. Moreover, he will have to pay exorbitant registration renewal fees annually. California is the last place I'd go if I were trying to avoid taxation.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 06:42   #15

Boat: Camano Troll

An option would be to just pay the tax like everybody else does. I pay tax on my boat, why shouldn't you do the same?

Tags
ports