Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-08-2016, 09:45   #16

Re: Advice on choice of home ports

I bought my boat in Florida, paid the tax there, home-ported it in California where I live for the heck of it, documented the vessel with the CG, and the State of CA sent a request to pay-up. Good ol' computers databases. I had to send proof documenting a year's worth of fuel and dockage purchases in Florida, as well as the purchased docs. They "allowed" me to pay the tax up front, if I wanted to, while they were investigating my situation. Don't use CA as a home port on your documentation, or pay the tax, as the man above said, like we all did.

Old 30-08-2016, 10:09   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Sounded to me like the OP had lost his job and was just trying to dodge or minimize sales tax. I might be more concerned about where the best job opportunity might be but can empathize with his situation.

Old 30-08-2016, 10:27   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think you need to decide where you are going to work next. Maybe you should work in Washington and just pay the 8.3% tax. You have immense cruising options in the northwest. Not so much so in Cal or Oregon.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 15:37   #19

Boat: Tashiba-31

TrentePieds - I just may take you up on that! I've started looking into a sail up the inside passage and it looks like exactly what I'll need.
Old 31-08-2016, 16:06   #20

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I think you need to decide where you are going to work next. Maybe you should work in Washington and just pay the 8.3% tax. You have immense cruising options in the northwest. Not so much so in Cal or Oregon.
There's definitely the above to consider. But if the boat's fully paid for, & you have few expenses, then there's loads to see & do to the north of you. And not just Van, BC, but the island. Er, islands on both sides of the sound. Not just Vancouver Island, though it's a great one to explore too. So if your primary outlays will be food & fuel, you've got Carte Blanche... And that would also leave you a bit of time to explore WA, as well as not ruling out OR. Just head S. when there's a clear 4 day window.

PS: Don't forget that the home town which you paint on the boat's transom should warm your heart, when it's spoken or thought of. Sailors are romantics after all

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:09   #21

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

In Monterey Count, CA they charge you mud tax also. Really, no joke.
They charge you for the mud under your boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
ports

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: