Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2018, 15:23   #1

Advice for new liveaboard?

Hello!
Pending survey, I plan to move aboard, in 2 weeks! I will be in Maryland waters. Everything is new to me. Looking for any advice, no matter how trivial it seems! I am beyond excited, but full of uncertainty. The boat is a 38' Chris Craft. Thanks!

ctmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 18:18   #2

Boat: 1988 Bayfield 36 (41 LOA)
Re: Advice for new liveaboard?

We're still newbies; but, were so happy we went through some formal training. We chose a US Sailing certification; but ASA seems great, too. The training and experience we got with that was priceless, truly.

For us the other thing we did was be sponges for learning from those that have been doing this a long time. We've learned a lot already, even if there's so much more.

Good luck!
Peaceful sunrises & sunsets,

ProteusRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 19:50   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Lots of advice here Marine Survey 101
Old 13-07-2018, 03:02   #4

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmax View Post
Hello!
Pending survey, I plan to move aboard, in 2 weeks! I will be in Maryland waters. Everything is new to me. Looking for any advice, no matter how trivial it seems! I am beyond excited, but full of uncertainty. The boat is a 38' Chris Craft. Thanks!

Welcome. Maybe your Chris Craft is a classic? There's been some discussion of those on trawlerforum.com (sister site) not too long ago...

If you haven't already, focus immediately on solving winter pump-outs, winter fresh water, winter heat.

-Chris
Old 13-07-2018, 04:26   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, ctmax.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 04:44   #6

Boat: Etap 38i (38')

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmax View Post
Hello!
You'll need to accumulate a small library. I would get these as the core reference materials for your library in hardback for the first three, paperback for the others.

https://www.amazon.com/Boatowners-Me...er+Maintenance

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Diesel...y+nigel+calder

https://www.amazon.com/Chapman-Pilot...and+seamanship

https://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Boat...tty+goodlander

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Anch...tty+goodlander

https://www.amazon.com/Storm-Proofin...tty+goodlander

https://www.amazon.com/Buy-Outfit-Sa...tty+goodlander

https://www.amazon.com/One-Minute-Na...4ESCZ900FMNK3K

I would also get and read this book as an introduction to living aboard; it and everything else you get can go on a kindle to save weight and space. Everything mentioned above should be paper copies so you have them available as a reference even if your electronic device fails/is lost/is stolen and you don't have access to enough bandwidth to download them again.

https://www.amazon.com/Essentials-Li.../dp/0939837668

Youtube is a really valuable resource. In the part of the country you are in, you have easy access to the Maryland School of Sailing. They have some really good videos on Youtube, and if you are interested in taking a course that's probably a good place to start.

You can also follow a variety of cruising channels out there. Some are more travelogs, others get into more detail about what they are actually doing with their boats, still others rely on bikini clad (and occasionally unclad) women to get their hits but offer little by way of actionable information.

Good luck!

What sort of Chris Craft did you get? I'm assuming it's a sailboat, if it's a powerboat a number of the books I've mentioned won't apply to you. The Chapmans Book and the One Minute Guide will.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 10:34   #7

Boat: Moody 54

I second the advice to find a marina that allows liveaboards in the winter. You need a water source, ability to pump out, and a heat source.

I suggest a Annapolis Landing Marina. Great staff!
MamaKube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 15:18   #8

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

Keep your fuel tanks full. Many problems from half full fuel tanks, condensation forming in the empty portion of the tank and running to the bottom of the tank causing many fuel related issues. Also treat your fuel. Enjoy
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 06:57   #9

Boat: Catalina 30

Well in all seasons pay attention to your storage, on a boat that's very limited and you'll find like I did that it gets used up very quickly.
In the winter you are going to want some form of dry heat, with the boat all closed up to keep the warm in, condensation will develop on the hull, overhead anywhere that is cooler than the rest of the boat. I've tried 3 different heating methods, electric space heaters (worked ok most of the time unless it was really cold or breezy) propane, via a Dickinson Newport heater (way better than electric but I found I was using very large amounts of propane) and my current heat source, also a Dickinson Newport, but in diesel (throws the most heat of the bunch, uses much less fuel than the propane, and seems to keep the boat much drier, however it can take a long time to stabilize, especially if I haven't been on board for a while and everything has gotten cold, it seems to turn itself up very slowly for about an hour and a half, but I think that's from the fuel in the day tank heating up and getting thinner)
Water in the winter can be a problem as most if not all marina in your area will probably have shut the dock water off for the season. I have yet to come up with a 100% solution to this. I have been getting mine from a fill your own bottle place for 25˘gal. But it is a pain to lug back to the boat every few days and the containers spend most of their time as clutter. I've thought about a water maker but have reservations about using harbour water.
I'm assuming that, being a Chris she is power boat, if you are not already I would recommend getting acquainted with some basic mechanics and become familiar with your engines (again an assumption that she's twin screw)
If you haven't I also strongly recommend a basic boating course, the United States Power Squadrons, BoatUS, and the USCGA all have offerings, besides the ones mentioned above.
When you get the opportunity take her out, it's more fun than sitting at the pier and your engines will thank you.
And remember the biggest difference between living in a house and living on a boat is, in a house if your roof leaks your floor gets wet, on a boat if your floor leaks your roof gets wet!
Ok so I droned on enough for now. If anyone wants me I'll be over in the corner with my beer...

SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard