Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2014, 03:06   #1

Advice for friends as to what to bring on a cruise

Does any one have a spreadsheet/ list of gear/ clothes that they e mail to friends who are about to go cruising with them ?
If so could they please let me have a copy .
Many thanks

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 03:18   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Advice for friends as to what to bring on a cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazam View Post
Does any one have a spreadsheet/ list of gear/ clothes that they e mail to friends who are about to go cruising with them ?
Many thanks

it would seem to me that would depend on where you are going to cruise, how long, when and if you are out of the usa and a full time cruiser what critical boat parts you need.

one thing for sure no hard or roller luggage unless you got a lot of storage area.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 05:31   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post

it would seem to me that would depend on where you are going to cruise, how long, when and if you are out of the usa and a full time cruiser what critical boat parts you need.

one thing for sure no hard or roller luggage unless you got a lot of storage area.
Amen to that. A list of what NOT to take might be more important.

A sample list:

Your clothes in a soft duffle, max 10kg
Alcohol, min 10kg
Boat shoes
DVDs, books
Favorite recipes
Hat, sunglasses
Your wallet
Something tasty to eat.
weather gear">Foul weather gear
Toothbrush, deodorant, spare deodorant
Boat parts, see separate sheet

Don't bring:
Luggage
Hard shoes
Tobacco
Ties
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 05:45   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

If sailing in warm climes, tell your friends to lay out all the clothes they think they will need, and then put half of them back. Then take half of what's left and put it back. Bring what's left in a single duffle bag.
Old 21-12-2014, 06:39   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Amen to that. A list of what NOT to take might be more important.

A sample list:

Your clothes in a soft duffle, max 10kg
Alcohol, min 10kg
Boat shoes
DVDs, books
Favorite recipes
Hat, sunglasses
Your wallet
Something tasty to eat.
Foul weather gear
Toothbrush, deodorant, spare deodorant
Boat parts, see separate sheet

Don't bring:
Luggage
Hard shoes
Tobacco
Ties
Coffee all over the computer screen.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 09:07   #6

Boat: Hudson 50

Bring half the clothes they think they need and twice the money and yes leave room for boat parts
Oceandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 09:15   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

A good crew knows what to pack:

• Soft vinyl waterproof duffel bag with no wheels. Wheels leave marks on hull liners and cabin soles. Ortlieb or Northface make good dry sacks.

• Personal life jacket or vest, one that is inflatable and has a crotch strap and harness built-in. A personal strobe light, small personal EPIRB, a loud whistle are good things to attach to the life vest. Check with your airline about flying with a gas cartridge for your life jacket.

• Sleeping bag with cotton insert I recommend a full-size sleeping bag, not a mummy sack. Coleman makes different models of sleeping bags that can keep one warm down to -30F. A flat cotton bed sheet sewn on three sides, leaving one end open can be used for an insert for more comfort and it is easier to remove the cotton insert and wash it, than to wash the complete sleeping bag.

• Pillow (feather pillows can be compacted more than a Hollofill pillow)

• Unbleached wool socks (US Navy issue socks can be found online from army surplus suppliers for around $6 a pair)

• Silk long underwear and undershirt, one can also use merino or alpaca wool which is quite soft and doesn’t itch) silk and wool are warm when wet
• Heavy weight wool sweater (US Navy issue mock turtleneck sweaters are great, but any thick wool sweater will suffice)

• Heavy weight wool pants (German army battle trousers with dacron from the front of the upper thigh to below the knee are less than $40 and suitable for cold weather when there isn’t too much water on deck)

• Silk scarf for neck (white aviator’s scarves can be found on the internet for around $25)

• Wool watch cap or warm hat of your choice (US Navy watch caps itch but they don’t blow off in a strong wind and there are merino or cashmere watch caps available

• Foul weather jacket (this is no place to pinch pennies). Henri Lloyd, Musto make top of the line gear with features that make the investment worthwhile. Foul weather pants (see above - consider a pair with a unzippable fly. Having to remove all your gear just to have a pee is a real nuisance )

• Sea boots (DuBarry or Musto make Gortex and leather boots that while they are pricey, they are more comfortable than all rubber boots. I do wear white shrimper’s boots, which are white because they are cooler to wear in the hot sun on a hot deck. They also don’t leave black marks on the boat’s deck. They are also called butcher’s boots.
• Deck shoes for when the weather is warm and dry. Not to be worn on land, street shoes not to be worn aboard

• Several cotton underpants, several cotton undershirts

• Large rubber gloves with wool gloves as liners. (wool dries quickly and is warm when wet) This is the best system to keep your hands dry and warm. I haven’t found any really waterproof sailing gloves

• Two pairs of eyeglasses if needed for distance or chart reading

• Two pairs of sunglasses

• Some kind of retainer attachment method for glasses

• Seasickness meds of your choice, even if you don’t think you get seasick, one should have some along anyway. Scopalomine patches are best for most sailors, but one who is susceptible to seasickness should experiment with different compounds or other techniques to avoid this annoying problem.

• Headlamp for night reading

• A personal hand-held GPS

• Folding knife with locking blade, best is an automatic knife with a serrated blade for cutting lines.
• Personal music player with headphones

• Eyeshades and earplugs

• Keeping all your kit IN your bag at all times and not leaving dirty socks lying around the cabin makes one a desirable crewmate. Often, I tell the crew that stray or roaming personal items will be confiscated and auctioned to the highest bidder at the end of the cruise. Proceeds going to the fuel kitty.

• Personal hygiene: package of butt wipes for washing feet, etc. Soap and shampoo, not all marinas supply these items for their guests, personal hygiene is important for the comfort of all.

Note: for older sailors suffering from prostate issues, various seasickness meds can severely aggravate the problem, completely preventing one from peeing. I have added two Foley catheters to my medicine kit and if one isn’t sure that a catheter will be available, one can bring some of one’s own.

If you carry an umbrella, it usually won’t rain.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 09:16   #8

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazam View Post
Many thanks

I would say that request is so vague that it's impossible to answer.

Cruising Alaska or the Bahamas? Winter or Summer? Big boat or small boat? One week or one month? Will you be stopping in towns or cities or just cruising without stopping anywhere? If you will be stopping in towns or cities, will they need "nice" clothes for restaurants?

Are these people boaters and have they ever been on a similar cruise and similar boat before?
Old 21-12-2014, 10:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
Note: for older sailors suffering from prostate issues, various seasickness meds can severely aggravate the problem, completely preventing one from peeing. I have added two Foley catheters to my medicine kit and if one isn’t sure that a catheter will be available, one can bring some of one’s own.
Can you point me to some information with regard to this? I do not have prostate issues, but one of my crew had to be medevaced off the boat 1040 miles north of Hawaii because of prostate issues.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 10:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
A good crew knows what to pack:
That is a rather extensive list.

In my 30 years years of sailing, including blue water, I have acquired much of it. But for a newby guest on a cruise that would be a little overwhelming. It also seems more appropriate for an offshore trip in pretty severe conditions - not a relaxing cruise.
Old 21-12-2014, 10:46   #11

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post

In my 30 years years of sailing, including blue water, I have acquired much of it. But for a newby guest on a cruise that would be a little overwhelming. It also seems more appropriate for an offshore trip in pretty severe conditions - not a relaxing cruise.
And that points out why it is impractical for one person to tell other people what is needed for a "cruise".
Old 21-12-2014, 11:45   #12

Many thanks George,
From your no nonsense , fantastic response I will be able to create a list for my hapless crew
Many thanks to all

jazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 13:14   #13

Boat: 1972 Gulfstar 36' Motorsailer

Don't forget fiberglass and epoxy!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Jeraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 17:13   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post

Yes, the catheter can be a life saver. Get a nurse to explain how to use it. You will need to have something like KY jelly to lubricate it. You need different sizes for males vs. females. Even a bladder infection can prevent urination, doesn't have to be a prostate issue.

Ann
Old 29-12-2014, 18:45   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Yes, the catheter can be a life saver. Get a nurse to explain how to use it. You will need to have something like KY jelly to lubricate it. You need different sizes for males vs. females. Even a bladder infection can prevent urination, doesn't have to be a prostate issue.

Ann
After my experience, will not allow crew with prostate issues to join my offshore / ocean crew. We also require a medical before approval.

My doctor is insisting that I get a mild hernia attended to. I have no discomfort and still play squash. But he is afraid that if it worsens, it could be an emergency. He equates offshore sailing with Arctic explorers; I am not sure why.

Tags
cruise