Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-03-2013, 00:55   #1

Advice for a beginner?

I am thinking of making the transition from living on the land to being a liveaboard. I do not have any prior experience with sailboats. Do you all think this would be a foolish move, or can I learn as I live day to day? Also, are there situations available where I might be able to RENT someone's sailboat in a liveaboard slip to try it out before I buy a boat?
Old 17-03-2013, 02:03   #2

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"
Re: Advice for a beginner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces 66 View Post
I am thinking of making the transition from living on the land to being a liveaboard. I do not have any prior experience with sailboats. Do you all think this would be a foolish move, or can I learn as I live day to day? Also, are there situations available where I might be able to RENT someone's sailboat in a liveaboard slip to try it out before I buy a boat?
Pices 66,

If you plan on living aboard, first you need to size up your expectations of space and comfort. This will determine the size of boat you will want. Then you'll need to look at boats for sale so you'll have an idea of how much you'll need to spend. It would be foolhardy to buy a boat in poor condition with intentions to 'fix it up'. Repairing boats is an expensive proposition. Although your initial objective is apparently only to 'live aboard', there is always the possibility you will expand your horizons and want to go cruising. So, it is advisable to buy a boat capable of offshore cruising and is equipped for the same.

Potentially more troublesome than choosing the boat is finding a marina that accepts livaboards. Marinas that welcome liveaboards typically have years long waiting lists for a slip. Once you have a slip then you can apply for liveaboard status. This also has years long waiting lists. The same applies for moorings.

A slip in a marina can be expenive and extra fees are normally assessed for liveaboards.

If your work schedule is flexible and your personal attributes are compatible with 'living on the hook', this is always a possibility - provided suitable sheltered anchorages are in your area. Sound, properly sized ground tackle (anchor, chain and rode) is an absolute necessity, and a means for getting to and from the boat will be required. If you need to move between anchorages depending upon the weather, bicycles strategically placed at both anchorages will enable you to move your boat quickly and still have transportation between anchorages. Depending upon your location, managing a car can be a challenge because convenient parking near your anchorages may not be available. You can always find someplace to lock a bike...

'Renting' a boat in a liveaboard slip will normally require the marina's permission, and may not be allowed. This would be a good idea though if it's doable.

armido
Old 17-03-2013, 05:40   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Advice for a beginner?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Pisces.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: