Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-08-2016, 05:58   #1

Acreage - Rv -sailboat

Well myself my wife and daughter are officially mortgage free and have bought and moved into an rv until we find our sailboat. It was a hard process selling our acreage and all our belongings but it feels good. The limited space will get my wife used to downsizing before moving on to a larger boat. We are heading from saskatchewan to BC via a few tourist stops on the way, we're hoping to be in Vancouver in approximately 1-2 weeks to start our boat search. If any of you sailors are around vancouver or the island it would be nice to meet you and get a few tips along our journey.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 11-08-2016, 06:43   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Acreage - Rv -sailboat

My family of four lived in an RV for about a year while I refurbished the house, I think its decent training for living in a smaller space, but at least my RV had more room than my boat, and it was more usable room as it wasn't boat shaped, but there are I hope a lot of correlations, learning to manage power and water for example. It became second nature on the RV, we are still learning it on the boat, but we are not full timers yet.

Boat has lots more room than my 71 Westfalia camper did though

Old 11-08-2016, 07:34   #3

Hopefully we can find the right one pretty quickly but if not it's decent living space, my dog and cat are not happy campers though but they will adjust.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-08-2016, 09:29   #4

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

You should be shopping the entire west coast, not just Vancouver. With an inflatable boat you would be able to see virtually every boat in every harbor you come across, until you find what you're looking for.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:59   #5

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Like you, we loaded up our 30' camper and crossed the country to pick up our boat and then lived on it until we could make the boat habitable (it was a mess). I think the most valuable lessons I learned and which have translated from camper to boat are -

Water (tap) is not an infinite resource. We have to find it, load it, keep it clean and dispose of it after use.

Poop is an infinite resource. We have to unload it, clean up after it and find a place to dispose of it.

The other day I was in the rest room of a restaurant in town. After wetting my hands I turned the tap off to lather up. The woman next to me said "What kind of boat do you have?" Turns out no one else would dream of turning the water off for the 30 seconds it takes to get bubbles. Now I wouldn't dream of letting perfectly good water run down the drain. Go figure.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:15   #6

Boat: Xquisite X5 50"

"Poop is an infinite resource. We have to unload it, clean up after it and find a place to dispose of it."

I needed a good morning chuckle...well said Redhead!
Old 12-08-2016, 09:27   #7

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post

Water (tap) is not an infinite resource. We have to find it, load it, keep it clean and dispose of it after use.

Poop is an infinite resource. We have to unload it, clean up after it and find a place to dispose of it.
Ok Im off topic but I cant keep quiet. These two thoughts drive me crazy. Poop never ends, water is finite. Yet we flush our never ending poop with our most precious commodity. Does this really make rational sense?
Old 12-08-2016, 09:43   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

Good luck Chriscook, sounds like an excellent plan. I've never lived in an RV, but assuming you are "boondocking" (I think that's the right term), they are pretty much the same as a cruising boat. Actually, I often describe my boat/home to landlubbers as simply a floating RV.

I gotta ask though, how did you get into big boat sailing in Sask.? Not enough water to float my dingy ... at least not in south/central SK. I assume you've spent time sailing/cruising in other places?

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 12-08-2016, 09:43   #9

Hi Chris,
My wife and I have been full time RVing for the past 6 years. We are in the final processes of purchasing our "new to us" live aboard sailboat. It is a 30' Ericson and the changeover from a 39' class A RV with two slide outs will require us to loose some living space but not much. The upside will be enclosing the cockpit to create an outdoor room (much like a sunroom in a house or RV). As we will be doing the Great Loop for the next couple of years (at least that is our plan), we believe we'll spend about 80% of our time in the sunroom/cockpit. We are an older couple ( pushing 70s) who lived previously aboard our 36' Piver trimaran in the Hawaiian Islands while raising 5 of our kids. I can tell you that kids are very adaptable to boat living although teenagers tend to balk a bit unless they think it is their idea or they grow into it. We now have grown kids and grandkids that love sharing the RV when we travel and the great grand kids will probably spend some time with us when appropriate. The nice part of that is they can head for home when they tire of your lifestyle or be sent if/when they are uncooperative.
We will pick up our boat at the end of November, take it from Sandusky to Cincinnati overland (professional hauler) and have it splashed on the Ohio River-all to avoid Great Lakes early fall and winter storms (something you need to consider in the Northwest too; not so much the storms but the cold-how are you to stay warm on the water?).
Size on sailboats is not as important as layout. It will depend much on what makes you comfortable as a family. Fortunately for us, I am partnered with a friend in Sandusky in a service that buys, refurbishes and resells boats (mostly sailboats). That allowed me to consider several boats prior to purchasing what we bought. Ironically, I did purchase one and then found another with a better layout (for us) so I sold one and purchased the other LOL.
A suggestion or two to you. Buy an older boat (you'll pay less for better structural integrity and then be able to clean it up to your own acceptable expectations). Second, if you pay more than $15,000 for it, have it surveyed prior to the final purchase. If it does not past muster, it is better to loose $300-500 for the survey than to purchase a P.O.S. and then spend an equivalent amount or more to make it sound. Of course you will still have to spend monies for maintenance and mooring/Marina facilities - those are expected cost of ownership whether you buy old or new. And, check your intended neighbors/neighborhood as you have your family to consider too (the vast majority of those around the boating community have been wonderful but there are a few that really should be avoided - think that is normal in most neighborhoods). Best of luck in your continued search. Hope this helps. Bruce V.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:51   #10

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Ok Im off topic but I cant keep quiet. These two thoughts drive me crazy. Poop never ends, water is finite. Yet we flush our never ending poop with our most precious commodity. Does this really make rational sense?
The answer for us is composting (desiccating) toilets. There are multiple threads here but I can tell you I was extremely skeptical at first and now am a born again composter. 'nuf said.

Now back to the topic.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Here's an easy fix. Get a composting head (I personally am looking at Nature's Head - no smell, integrated water (urine separator), and easy lift out and deposit bag and urine tanks with a back up tank for urine - very eco friendly and you can deposit the waste bag in any trash receptacle). If you are really heavy into the environment (enough to believe that it has a horrific impact) dump that in the bathroom whenever you are around one. Of course, like myself, and believe it absorbs without impact, discreetly pee over the side or empty your container in the same manner. I am told the "poop" needs to be changed out about every three months but I am sure that too is related to personal usage.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:50   #12

So many thoughts... Thank you for inspiring me.

At 63 I thought could go cruising. Then doubts began creeping in - am I physically strong enough, some mornings I start really slow and achy. I've had a RV for a long time - it's an ancient 1992 model that I love to fix. And it has all the latest gear for the road. Funny thing is I'm ready to take down the satellite dish since I quit DirecTV at home last year. I'll put another solar panel in it's place.

I think of cruising in the RV as the same as it would be cruising on a boat. The main difference is instead of fixing things in exotic places on a boat I end up doing it in a smelly truck stop somewhere.

The next funny thing is my ancient 1992 RV (Winnebago Chieftain) is going to probably be 10 years newer than any boat I end up buying.

I'm not selling everything as some do, I have a home base and will sail the season in the Caribbean for a few months and come back home in the RV for the hurricane season.

My biggest problem is I have some pets, they're all getting old too but my macaw will definitely outlive me and I've had him and another parrot since I hatched them and they are in their mid twenties now. Also a couple of old cats - but they're no problem - they fit anywhere. This is my family and I couldn't ever give them up - (I've seriously asked myself that question and some days it scares me to think I might). So I can't just jet off to Thailand and buy a boat or leave my boat in Grenada for the season and fly home. All those animal quarantine limitations. So every season it's a sail back to Texas (closest water to Colorado where I live).

Anyway - having a couple in their 70's considering this inspires me to no end. I've got my boat money and refit money set aside and I add a little more every month and my goal is to buy a suitable boat for the family this fall.
At least that's the plan. And maybe sail west as far as I can someday. As you can tell I'll be single handling all the way - and I'm thinking 40 feet is the size I need to be equivalent to my lifestyle RV'ing.

I do have a question... I have a full machine shop with experience in fiberglass, auto painting, woodwork, metal of any kind, and the room here to store a boat to work on. It's a 1000 miles to the water. So to paraphrase - do I bring the boat to the workshop or do I bring the workshop (a very small subset of my work shop) to the boat. Yes - shipping cost $7K each way vs. living in the RV or Boat and not having the resources in workshop space and paying for a marina or storage on the hard plus an RV park - so money by the month. I question how quick I could use up 14K in shipping by working somewhere in Texas and paying rent.

It's so close to a toss up I think the ease of working on it here tips the scale. Plus the locals in my little home town of 550 people will have something else to confirm that I really am a crazy old coot. Thanks for letting me ramble - and I really am so inspired by you.
I apologize for hijacking this thread - it just seemed to fit with my dreams.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:00   #13

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Dont forget that, in addition to the costs, moving a boat by road add more wear and tear to the boat. If you dont have ties it might be easier to move closer to the boat.
Thats the problem with colorado, we are far from everything!
Old 12-08-2016, 13:10   #14

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

Unsubscribed.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 13:35   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooderman View Post
So many thoughts... Thank you for inspiring me.

At 63 I thought could go cruising. Then doubts began creeping in - am I physically strong enough, some mornings I start really slow and achy. I've had a RV for a long time - it's an ancient 1992 model that I love to fix. And it has all the latest gear for the road. Funny thing is I'm ready to take down the satellite dish since I quit DirecTV at home last year. I'll put another solar panel in it's place.

I think of cruising in the RV as the same as it would be cruising on a boat. The main difference is instead of fixing things in exotic places on a boat I end up doing it in a smelly truck stop somewhere.

The next funny thing is my ancient 1992 RV (Winnebago Chieftain) is going to probably be 10 years newer than any boat I end up buying.

I'm not selling everything as some do, I have a home base and will sail the season in the Caribbean for a few months and come back home in the RV for the hurricane season.

My biggest problem is I have some pets, they're all getting old too but my macaw will definitely outlive me and I've had him and another parrot since I hatched them and they are in their mid twenties now. Also a couple of old cats - but they're no problem - they fit anywhere. This is my family and I couldn't ever give them up - (I've seriously asked myself that question and some days it scares me to think I might). So I can't just jet off to Thailand and buy a boat or leave my boat in Grenada for the season and fly home. All those animal quarantine limitations. So every season it's a sail back to Texas (closest water to Colorado where I live).

Anyway - having a couple in their 70's considering this inspires me to no end. I've got my boat money and refit money set aside and I add a little more every month and my goal is to buy a suitable boat for the family this fall.
At least that's the plan. And maybe sail west as far as I can someday. As you can tell I'll be single handling all the way - and I'm thinking 40 feet is the size I need to be equivalent to my lifestyle RV'ing.

I do have a question... I have a full machine shop with experience in fiberglass, auto painting, woodwork, metal of any kind, and the room here to store a boat to work on. It's a 1000 miles to the water. So to paraphrase - do I bring the boat to the workshop or do I bring the workshop (a very small subset of my work shop) to the boat. Yes - shipping cost $7K each way vs. living in the RV or Boat and not having the resources in workshop space and paying for a marina or storage on the hard plus an RV park - so money by the month. I question how quick I could use up 14K in shipping by working somewhere in Texas and paying rent.

It's so close to a toss up I think the ease of working on it here tips the scale. Plus the locals in my little home town of 550 people will have something else to confirm that I really am a crazy old coot. Thanks for letting me ramble - and I really am so inspired by you.
I apologize for hijacking this thread - it just seemed to fit with my dreams.
I would think it would be more cost effective to bring the small shop to the boat. Unless you are doing a major rebuild, the tools you would need would most likely fit in the trunk of your car and a compartment of the RV (I tow my small car behind my RV when traveling longer distances-4 on the ground on a tow bar and I will use it for a large storage bin when not needed. I can also unpack it to my RV if I need it in route). Having a boat shop with you when you are able to haul your boat is significant. While in Hawaii and rebuilding my Tri, I had a $10,000 dollar tool shop an air compressor and a 3000watt generator under my boat. Many of the boaters in the yard used my equipment as there were no real facilities in our particular area at that time (I actually help build the yard that was finally put in in the early eighties). I might also suggest you check with the yard where you intend to work as some are okay with that while others are not.
In Texas, I can think of a number of places that allow yard work. Rockport, Port Lacava, Port Oconner and Galveston all have one or more yards that will accommodate. By the way, have you considered Mobile as a jumping off/Hurricane spot when heading back to Colorado?

Tags
sail, sailboat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: