Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 20:07   #1

Boat: Catalina 27
About to Buy My First Liveaboard

l'm getting ready to buy my first boat to live in. This is something l have worked on for the past 2 years, and would like to get some input on what boats people think are the best. After l pay her off and outfit her, l plan to sail the south pacific. l would like a full keel 24 to 38 feet. The boats lm looking at, at the moment are Pacific Seacraft and Cheoy Lee, although the Cheoy lee has a little to much teak. l will be single handing the whole trip. Any input would be very helpful. Thank you.
KateJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 21:44   #2

Boat: 1998 Orca (Ingrid) 38
We've been living aboard our Pacific Seacraft Mariah 31 for the past few years, and love it. Of course, it's hard to find a boat owner who doesn't love their boat. Which pacific seacraft are you considering?
Sonrisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 22:50   #3

Boat: seawind II Patience
Do not own ps but fine boats.I am like you too much teak.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 00:57   #4

Boat: Swan 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateJoy View Post
would like to get some input on what boats people think are the best.
I don't think there's such thing as a "Best" boat. There maybe one which is best for you, but it is an elusive thing. It depends on what type of sailor you are, your experience, what you look for in a boat and what you intent to do with it etc etc. But these things tend to change with time.

Both boat manufacturers you mention have certainly built boats suited to sailing the south pacific and one may even be best for you...... but they wouldn't be best for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateJoy View Post
After l pay her off and outfit her.
I'd think about this long and hard. It suggests that you still need to work while you pay her off and then continue working while you earn to fit her out and all the time you will be living in the middle of it. It can be done, but it wouldn't be for me.

It will usually work out cheaper (or quicker) to wait until you have the cash and then buy what you want. In the meantime, sign up for some deliveries, get out on boats, even race boats and narrow down exactly what it is you want.

It took me about 10 years to establish exactly what I wanted. I then realised I couldn't justify the expense and compromised.

The boat I ended up with was absolutely nothing like the one that had thought about 10 years earlier
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:44   #5

Boat: 36' Magellan "Steady Beat"
Welcome KateJoy, and good luck with your search! For extended liveaboard, I would not look under 30' - the difference between a 24' and a 38' is that of a very cramped studio vs a roomy 2 bedroom condo - I've just come from 25' to 36', and would not go back (with similar S.Pacific plans in mind).

BWS
BlueWaterSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:16   #6

Boat: seawind II Patience
Bigger not necessarily better.I had a 41,37,&now 32.Cheaper easier & not a sign. loss in room.All boats are comprises.I prefer quality & seaworthiness over speed & luxury.But as they say to each his/her own.Welcome aboard & lots of luck.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:24   #7

Boat: Catalina 27
Thanks everyone. I have been torn on the size issue. l like the 24 pacific seacraft, because they fit so much in a small space and l could keep up easier by my self. l can do some engine work, and most teak work. l work in the marina, so living on my boat would be a lot closer than living on land. l spend 80% of my waking hours on the water and never want to go home, sleep better on boats. So l'm thinking that this will be a good move for me.
KateJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 16:54   #8

Tayana, Rawson, Endeavour or Irwin

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 21:33   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Regarding size...I had an Ingrid 38 Ketch. 13 tons, 46 ft. overall. High slip rates. $10,000 to re-rig with furling and a controled crash at best while docking. I moved "up" to a Rawson 30 Pilothouse. Half the slip rates, I merely push off a pier with a hand or foot if i think I'm too close and I back it out of the slip by hand. I learnt my lesson.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 23:34   #10

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Had a Nor'Sea 27, nice boat for one, but pricy.
The Pacific seacraft Mariah is a sweet boat.
For not to much money you can get a west sail 32. They are classics.
All depends on what you want and can afford.

Quote:
The boat I ended up with was absolutely nothing like the one that had thought about 10 years earlier
Ain't that the truth....
Old 02-05-2010, 23:43   #11

Boat: 25 O'Day
Send a message via MSN to gboase Send a message via Yahoo to gboase Send a message via Skype™ to gboase
The wife and I began looking at boats in the 40 - 50 foot range. Then we found the Hake 32r and fell in love with it. It's beachable (floats on a sponge), has an enclosed shower in the head and another on the step-through transom, and the mast goes up and down with one person doing the effort. That means there's no place we can't go. We decided that was more important than the size. We plan on doing the Great Loop at least once.

Good luck!
George Boase
gboase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 00:40   #12

Hi Katejoy,

I understand the dilemma. I've been looking and researching liveaboard preferences myself for almost ten years now. I used to work in a marina in Florida and so had the opportunity to work with and to get to know a number of different boats. For myself I prefer the Cheoy Lee's I've had the opportunity to "play" with. Eventually, when I'm out of Michigan and back to the coast (upon my daughter graduation culinary school) I want to search one out and pick her up. I wouldn't consider anything under 36 foot for myself but that is just my own personal opinion based on general roominess (too small will get cramped right quickly and too big is, well, just too big). I knew a CL Offshore 40 that was at our marina that the owner had replaced all of the deck teak with fiberglass. Below she was mahogany as far as the bulkheads and other interior wood went. Really, analyze your own "needs," evaluate your own "wants," and then choose what best fits those parameters as the best compromise. Fair winds . . .

dus'
Dusty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 07:10   #13

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424
So what did you decide?

Have you made a selection yet?
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard