Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-07-2015, 07:56   #1

A "Wannabe"

I had bought a used 24 ft Columbia sailoboat built from a Sears kit in mid-70's. Not bad for the $1,500 price I paid for it and had $200/month expenses at Bellingham Harbor, that included a port store, coffee shop, laundry and showers. Had an office working as an economist close to the waterfront in Bellingham, WA - USA and lived on board for 2 years and learned to sail on weekends in the Puget Sound. That was 15 years ago and I have moved on since and sold the craft about 10 years ago.

I am interested in returning this time as a reitree to the waterfront, to buy a sailboat 30-40 ft. and to live on-board again, somewhere in the Pacific Northwest, preferably in Vancouver - Victoria BC. Therefore, input and suggestions from those familiar with the geography, lifestyle and possibly a sailboat that is up for sale at a suitable marina would be welcome.

Old 24-07-2015, 18:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: A "Wannabe"

The best broker I have ever dealt with is Pacific Boat Brokers based on Vancouver Island. They also have one of the best web sites on the west coast. Pacific Boat Brokers Inc. They have lots of boats and descriptive pages and pictures.
I bought my current boat thru them. The salesman went out of his way in helping me. Harry Mose if you'd like a salesman recommendation.
My boat hadn't run in 6 years. He hand carried 20 gallons of diesel so we could start the engines. And then helped in getting necessary paperwork and people together to make the deal. He saved me several trips to Nanaimo in getting the boat ready to move.

Old 25-07-2015, 02:31   #3

Thanks Lepke. Great suggestion.

I looked at their web site and it looks promising. I will continue to do further research and will probably stop by at the Brokerage, in early 2016.

If you have additional ideas and suggestions for this Wannabe, they are welcome.
Old 28-07-2015, 09:08   #4

Boat: 1980 Hunter 36

Victoria is a pretty great place to liveaboard. You have a choice of several marinas - though there are waiting lists of a few months, so you have to plan ahead a bit.
Old 28-07-2015, 10:02   #5

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Nanaimo is a great place for a sailboat. Not as big as Vancouver and easier to get a slip than Victoria. Close to ferries and a short float plane ride to down town Vancouver. I had my last boat there for a couple years at Stones marina, great sailing around there as well.
If you go up the coast a bit towards Comox, Courtney or further north, slip fees get less expensive, you're further from conveniences, but the sailing is just as good.

Good luck

goat
Old 28-07-2015, 10:10   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I am sure you'll be able to pull off what you decide to do. You don't say if you are a Canadian citizen or not, but your living in the US in B'ham makes it possible that you are a US citizen. If you are US you will have a very long process ahead of you to move to Canada (legally). Not saying you can't do it but it ain't easy. And vice versa if you are Canadian and want to live in the US.

The other posters have good comments on other places to consider in BC. I'm no expert but have heard it is very difficult to find a good liveaboard situation in Vancouver city. Search for a recent thread about that on CF.

Good luck.
Old 28-07-2015, 10:15   #7
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

I think the place you need to start with is to think about what you really plan to use the boat for. There is a big difference between day sailing, occasional weekends, week long trips, live aboard at the slip, long term cruising. Then take a loom at boats on yatchworld.com to see layouts and pricing; then start over.

Otherwise if you depend too much on CF responses you are going to end up with a cramped old 30-35 footer because it's in some old book.
Old 28-07-2015, 11:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I think the place you need to start with is to think about what you really plan to use the boat for. There is a big difference between day sailing, occasional weekends, week long trips, live aboard at the slip, long term cruising. Then take a loom at boats on yatchworld.com to see layouts and pricing; then start over.

Otherwise if you depend too much on CF responses you are going to end up with a cramped old 30-35 footer because it's in some old book.

Old 28-07-2015, 11:37   #9

All great comments and suggestions.

I've heard much about the area, both about the mainland, as well as the Vancouver Island inland sea. Friends sailed the Salish Sea and they are telling me that you could sail for months and never repeat a shoreline. Afterwards, with about a year of experience, recommendations are to sail up the inland passage and not have to deal with open ocean.

Of course, the Ocean will follow.

So, my near term aim is to visit the area and check out some sailboats for sale at facilites that already have on-board living priveleges. The 30-40 ft appears to be most recommended size, as a multi-purpose craft, for a couple.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: