Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2016, 05:56   #91

Boat: TBD
Re: A question for the Florida-dislikers?

Oh BTW, there is no "Water Police" I've ever heard of in all my years as a resident ... there is the Florida Marine Patrol and local municipalities that have Police boats for those jurisdictions.

Just saying.
Old 17-04-2016, 07:51   #92

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Marc -
The Florida Marine Patrol no longer exists. The FWC has taken its place, which may be why a lot of folks just refer to the Florida marine police, or water police or what have you.
Old 17-04-2016, 13:34   #93

FL drivers the worst in the USA?

Hasn't been my experience but I have driven extensively in Boston, Baltimore and DC.

South FL feels pretty tame by comparison.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 14:21   #94

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

I've sailed both coasts of Florida and driven most of it's major roadways.

Getting the automobile issue out of the way first, I find most Florida drivers pretty good; Miami is an exception; you're certain to see people driving two or even three times the speed limit and pedestrians are in grave danger; Florida is by far the most dangerous place to mix cars and pedestrians. Some of the highway designs are a cruel joke, for example, merging from a sharp curve into the far left lane of blistering traffic; OK if your car is right-hand drive, but dicey otherwise.

If you're the impatient type, you should avoid the retirement enclaves; the slow and sometimes erratic land yachts driven by people wearing those large black-out glasses may offend you, or worse. I've always believed I'd meet my end under a vintage Buick, so I still tremble when I see a big hunk of Detroit iron with a tiny head below the steering wheel.

On the water, it's both heaven and hell. In places like Miami, you might get buzzed by speeding cigarette boats, but only if you're in a narrow channel. Florida is beautiful and has the climate, so the beaches and coast attract all kinds of watercraft, and on big holidays your favorite anchorage will be jammed with small powerboats the occupants of which will set up gigantic loud speakers and regale you with their favorite music, chiefly country. If you're really lucky, you may enjoy an impromptu pole dance in progress on a nearby boat. On the other hand, after the long weekend holiday, those boaters will be gone and the place will still be beautiful.

On land, I can vouch only for Pensacola. The people are remarkably friendly, laid back, and helpful. This includes other sailors, civilians, and city government officials. I've never had a problem of any kind from law enforcement.

I did spend a few weeks shooting in Key West. I never saw a local wearing a wristwatch and the concept of "morning" did not exist. The only day parts were lunch, a little after lunch, and night. Other than that change to my concept of time, I enjoyed my stay and loved the locals. This was quite a few years ago, so things may be different now.

Fair winds,

Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 14:57   #95

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Ticheli View Post
I've sailed both coasts of Florida and driven most of it's major roadways.

Getting the automobile issue out of the way first, I find most Florida drivers pretty good; Miami is an exception; you're certain to see people driving two or even three times the speed limit and pedestrians are in grave danger; Florida is by far the most dangerous place to mix cars and pedestrians. Some of the highway designs are a cruel joke, for example, merging from a sharp curve into the far left lane of blistering traffic; OK if your car is right-hand drive, but dicey otherwise.

If you're the impatient type, you should avoid the retirement enclaves; the slow and sometimes erratic land yachts driven by people wearing those large black-out glasses may offend you, or worse. I've always believed I'd meet my end under a vintage Buick, so I still tremble when I see a big hunk of Detroit iron with a tiny head below the steering wheel.

On the water, it's both heaven and hell. In places like Miami, you might get buzzed by speeding cigarette boats, but only if you're in a narrow channel. Florida is beautiful and has the climate, so the beaches and coast attract all kinds of watercraft, and on big holidays your favorite anchorage will be jammed with small powerboats the occupants of which will set up gigantic loud speakers and regale you with their favorite music, chiefly country. If you're really lucky, you may enjoy an impromptu pole dance in progress on a nearby boat. On the other hand, after the long weekend holiday, those boaters will be gone and the place will still be beautiful.

On land, I can vouch only for Pensacola. The people are remarkably friendly, laid back, and helpful. This includes other sailors, civilians, and city government officials. I've never had a problem of any kind from law enforcement.

I did spend a few weeks shooting in Key West. I never saw a local wearing a wristwatch and the concept of "morning" did not exist. The only day parts were lunch, a little after lunch, and night. Other than that change to my concept of time, I enjoyed my stay and loved the locals. This was quite a few years ago, so things may be different now.

Fair winds,

Leo
I think it is just a mystic to bash Fl. I have never had a problem on the water or ashore. Maybe it is peoples approach. I've been in the south for 50 years and still have a Damn Yankee accent. And I'm in SC with far fewer relos and never have had a problem. You get what you portray.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 23:04   #96

Boat: 1977 New Bombay Trading Co. Pilot 31'

Well we have been in the keys for about a month now and couldn't behappier. Guess wherever you go,there you are

Sent from my C6740N using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SebastianB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida