Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2015, 10:33   #61

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: A Open Heart Monologue On The Final Decision

Stefano,

Listen to atoll and Hudson Force. With your stated lack of experience building yourself is insanity especially if it is not on property you own. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 10:46   #62

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post
Lol,

I like your a kind of serious joking answer, however, yes i know delamination won't happen in a night but in years and years, and can be repared if only locally, ecc...
My boat is a 32 year old fiberglass boat . It has no blisters, no delamination, and no soft spots. I would hardly say 32 years is "overnight" and it's still going strong. I personally know a lot of people sailing fiberglass boats much older than mine that are having no problems. Maybe you underestimate the strength of fiberglass.
Old 22-12-2015, 12:15   #63

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Steel in the med?
Still trying to get rid of your g/f, aren't you?

Lizzy, did you ever think that maybe she is trying to get rid of him, but make him think it was his idea in order to avoid the drama? LOL!
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 12:34   #64

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Stefano, you present an argument for every suggestion made here by folks trying to help.

Either you are trolling or you have a very thick skull...

Listen to these folks, they are trying to give you realistic solutions to your situation. If you think you can build a sizable boat in such a short time, perhaps you should spend some time exchanging ideas with people that have built boats. You have NO CONCEPT of the time, effort, money, logistics of building a boat...even a little 30 footer.

I'm with Atoll...quit overthinking it and just do it. If you can't connect with that philosophy, then quite possibly living on a boat is not for you. People that are successful in the lifestyle are prone to solving problems as they arise, as opposed to obsessing over all the things than can [and do] go wrong. Just go for it and make it work...or go do something else.

Life is a journey, not a destination...
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 12:49   #65

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
Lizzy, did you ever think that maybe she is trying to get rid of him, but make him think it was his idea in order to avoid the drama? LOL!
Ha! I think you might be on to something here, Morven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
My boat is a 32 year old fiberglass boat . // I personally know a lot of people sailing fiberglass boats much older than mine that are having no problems.
Lizzy Belle -> Maiden trip Sweden - Netherlands, early 1974
Not a blister on her perfect hull - she looks better then me and we're about the same age
Old 22-12-2015, 12:54   #66

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: A Open Heart Monologue On The Final Decision

Fast forward to 2026:

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 12:57   #67

Quote:
14 meters x 5 x 1,5 draft

Extreme heavy duty steel concet, from keel cooling, to no hole throught the hull, 12mm thick glass for windows, to 1.000liters per minute bilge pump ( yes 1 thousand liter a minute...a 2x 7 centimeters hole, in a 50 cm deep water will make flow 200 liters per minute...and it's a very small hole)...

5 watertigh compartments, 1 cm thick bottom steel sheet, beta 75 or 90 hp (depend if genset or not), integral tanks for water and diesel, ALL the steel covered with epoxy, also inside the bilge, everywhere, polyurethane foam, all around, interior al movable easy to fit and unfit okumè wood, some ikea shelves and furnitures,very well reinforced, all studied to pass throught the wateline, also interconnection between bilges, the boat can be completely watertight, i studied and read the book of Ernesto Tross, (look for white bear and grey bear) a 83 years old sailor who build more than 10 aluminium sailboat, and lived all his life on the boats he built...

I'm also in touch with some italian boat builder, exchanging ideas, eccccc

Lets say slow for sure but stronger and stiffer than any other boat around there...

Yes, everything included...We already have enought knife, plate, japanese plate, ikea plate, valleroy e boch 50 euro christmas plate, ecc...we just need to choose wich one LOL...so sad..
Do you have the surface someplace to loft framing? I think you are living in fantasy land. Sorry just trying to help you not go astray.
Old 22-12-2015, 14:10   #68

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2

Throw it all away.. Buy a project boat and rebuild it whilst living on it.
There are plenty of people in your situation.
Im now on my 3rd boat having worked upto this one. 2 proper projects and now i have the most lovliest classic sailing yacht fully restored and taken 6 years. Its like an apprenticeship.
You work 5 days a week in an office and it costs you 2 days of that week for the ability to get to work,
You could start doing labour work on other peoples boats leaving 2 a week or even 4 for your boat.
Then slowly get to where youre going.
Then sail off...
I am sure you can think of a million reasons not to do it but this thinking is wasting time..
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 14:39   #69
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I suggest you and your GF break yourselves in first.. get some proper qualifications.. Comp Crew/Day Skipper her.. Coastal Skipper him..
Chartering is hard work unless you are just doing bare boat as opposed to day trips..
Contact Sunsail Med and get yourselves a summer job with them.. you will learn a lot about boats and the business.. and if you can cut it..
Or.. if you have a delusional belief its easy living..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 14:45   #70

I will try to answer everybody

Yes, i have the idea of supply chain (i studied as logistic, custom agent and warehouse managment) and all the TONS of stuff that i would need for building.

Yes, i have a very tichk skull and and maybe all my arguing against the good, well placed idea showed there are to protect my project....

However i had a 60 x 20 ft space 21 ft high, inside a heated complex, with roof crane, in a boat yard for 900 euro at month, including electricity, water, ecc

OK for fiberglass was just my thought about the worst case scenario (i'm an optimist with the worst pessimist expection, trying to solve it before it happens, especially at sea)

However at the end after some thought about it and overthought, especially about the performace, and maybe the price-time-life ratio i'll go for an used, as other state (i don't remember who, sorry) worst case scenario, i will re sell it and just another experience...

I'll go much probably for this

1993 Omega 56 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Do you think it has enought free board for oceanic crossing?
(After some year, from the north adriatic to agean sea, to mediterranean, gradually)

Just add a table on the exterior and it's done, ready to live...

I have to say that i honestly apprecciate and i really wanto to thank you everybody for the true help given to me (better than a psyco help LOL), except some italian boat builder no one understand me LOL Joking...

I admit i really like the people around here in CF (sometimes i even quote some joke that i read here to my GF)

p.s. funny your 2026 projection Blue Crab
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 14:51   #71
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes.. she'll be fine in an Ocean..
However from your last post your not going to an ocean.. just coast hopping around the Med..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 14:58   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Yes.. she'll be fine in an Ocean..
However from your last post your not going to an ocean.. just coast hopping around the Med..

Yes, at least for a pair of year, to learn to sail well and safetly, until i can afford the worst weather condition in the med, then i will move to the next step: the ocean...
And obviously i can't change the boat

Also this one looks very nice and with good let's say oceanic shape

1994 Skipper 53 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 22-12-2015, 15:21   #73

Quote:
Yes, at least for a pair of year, to learn to sail well and safetly, until i can afford the worst weather condition in the med, then i will move to the next step: the ocean...
And obviously i can't change the boat

Also this one looks very nice and with good let's say oceanic shape

1994 Skipper 53 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Does look nice. It also has refit project in the add.
Old 22-12-2015, 15:25   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Does look nice. It also has refit project in the add.
Refit what excuse me?

Interior maybe some little fix, outside, ok hull to be seriosly cleaned, painted, ecc , teak of 2009...Another 5.000 euro max i think i get it shining
Old 22-12-2015, 15:29   #75

Quote:
Refit what excuse me?

Interior maybe some little fix, outside, ok hull to be seriosly cleaned, painted, ecc , teak of 2009...Another 5.000 euro max i think i get it shining
Just quoting the ad? Have you seen it?