Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2016, 09:40   #136

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: A Open Heart Monologue On The Final Decision

That sounds like a good idea, Stefano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Hey Lizzy, if you hadn't mentioned English was a second language, I doubt anyone would think so.
Thanks, I do try to be fluent in both Dutch and English. I consider it a survival skill
Apparently, my accent (a mix of US, British and Aussie) makes people wonder where I'm from, tho 'the Netherlands' usually isn't the first guess
Old 06-01-2016, 10:11   #137

Thanks,

i make some more research about price, pratically if i want to enjoy the boat for the remaining 323 days a year, i almost can't get a marina due big boat= 150 euro/night and so on, even the 12.000 earned would not worth...

stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:53   #138

"I was also thinking, what about in stead of spend all the 80-90.000 to buy-build the boat with more berth possible, as Lizzy says, to be used only 42 days a year,
Icould save quite much, buying-building something smaller, and cheaper like a seaworthy, selfrightening, pocket cruisers, about 28-30 ft max, just a big kitchen, big owner's room, another 2 berths for friend and nothing else, pilothouse with a table and STOP. Just what we need, i really love the semplicity and the size."

NOW you are beginning to make sense - go give Lizzy another hug :-)

Then go to this link, then register, and you will see LOTS of pic of this boat:
Gulf 32 Pilothouse Sloop for sale, 32'0", 1984 | Boatshed Seattle
Then go here for the arrangements plan and the sail plan:
GULF 32 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
The arrangements of this boat are for all intents and purposes identical to those of TrentePieds. This allows a man and his maid to live in minimal physical comfort for months at a time, which is what MyBeloved and I will be doing when she retires at the end of this year. Lizzy might say that it would allow you to live in comfort permanently. But she is younger than I. And you are younger than she ;-)!

You should be able to pick up a Gulf 32 in good condition, fitted with the basics, for Can$15,000, say EUR10,000. Apart from your moorage costs, your maintenance costs would then for some years be confined to annual hauling and bottom painting with antifouling paint and fitting of new zinks, call it about EUR1,000, and a few hundred for odds and sods.

But remember that small-boat diesels - like my Vetus 3M-10 made just up the street from where Lizzy keeps her boat - and marine transmissions have fairly short service lives and are expensive to buy and to repair. In consequence you should set funds aside regularly so that when the big hammer drops, you have the cash available for replacement and repairs. Putting that sort of thing on your plastic is a sure way to financial ruin!

Maintaining the rigging of a 32 footer is a piece of cake provided you stay away from such people as will try to flog you roller furling/roller reefing relying on the fable that it is better/safer/faster than doing things the old way. For economical sailing, particularly in your early years afloat, stick to the old, simple ways. As for repairing and replacing sails, there again, you can make your own, quite successfully, just so long as you don't blind yourself with science. And I think that ties into the comment you made about preserving and improving the old :-)

So I'm glad to see that reality is setting in. The banks of the Fraser River, near my home, were littered for years with the "wet dreams" of "home builders" who bit off far more than they could chew.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:01   #139

@Lizzy #136

:-) Despite my many, many years in this 'ere colony, my accent is Midlands English with a residuum of Danish. People "accuse" me of being an Afrikaaner. Wonderful!

When it happens I slowly exaggerate the accent and spin them sailors' tales of Joeburg :-)

TrentePieds
Old 06-01-2016, 16:27   #140

Thanks Trentepieds,

No vetus please, only kubota based or american perkins or yanmar, no other engine admitted

Unlucky and being thick skulled, for sure, this time i will go for selfbuildingI get fast count and with about 60.000 i could get a small seagoing tank,with sail area/displacement ratio of 20-22 (saw the gulf is 11.58 and many other like fisher 32 pilothouse ketch have quite small sail area) and a freeboard of 6 feet...supersafe, superdry.

P.s. just by stopping pay the flat's rent where we live now, in 10 years we pratically get the boat for free Nice investiment tho
Old 06-01-2016, 16:50   #141

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: A Open Heart Monologue On The Final Decision

Preachin to the choir.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 20:55   #142
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.

Here's the boat for you, and in your neighborhood. Sail it to California, and I'll buy it from you.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-157902.html
Whatever you do, do it now. There's no regrets for adventures taken, just for those we failed.
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:13   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by td0tz View Post
Here's the boat for you, and in your neighborhood. Sail it to California, and I'll buy it from you.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-157902.html
Whatever you do, do it now. There's no regrets for adventures taken, just for those we failed.

Do not tempt me please

I'll get it just for the 6 layer of epoxy, he has my rispect And the gold-golden mast...

Do you really buy it from me for sure?

You are talking to someone who is intented to wash all the sails with fresh water once a month, add for sure pilothouse cover with 2x 250watt solar panels, battery with victron equalizer-balancer, watermaker, some tweak here and there...

I'm talking seriosly, travel with this to california, sell it, came back italy, build my ones
Old 07-01-2016, 07:46   #144

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: A Open Heart Monologue On The Final Decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post
Do not tempt me please

I'll get it just for the 6 layer of epoxy, he has my rispect And the gold-golden mast...

Do you really buy it from me for sure?

You are talking to someone who is intented to wash all the sails with fresh water once a month, add for sure pilothouse cover with 2x 250watt solar panels, battery with victron equalizer-balancer, watermaker, some tweak here and there...

I'm talking seriosly, travel with this to california, sell it, came back italy, build my ones
That'll last one month.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:56   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
That'll last one month.

LOL meaning once? ahahah

No well...if you are free almost all the time,without working, you can take care very well of it...
Old 07-01-2016, 08:02   #146

@ Stefano, #140

Vetus ain't Dutch, it's Japanese. Perkins ain't American, it's English....

You say you're poor. If so, and financial survival is your objective, don't "invest" in boats. Invest in real estate.

As for an SA/D of 22: On the typical displacement of a thirty footer you'd need about 650 square feet of sail. Twice that of the Gulf 32 and of TrentePieds. Bring out your old high school trigonometry book and bone up on the basics. You'll see that SA/D = 22 cannot be accommodated on the length of a knockabout hull without buggering up the moment arms related to stability and to balance and therefore cannot be achieved in any size of cruising monohull.

So maybe something you owe to yourself is to get a copy of something really simple and straightforward such as, say, the Francis Kinney version of Skeene's Elements of Yacht Design. That's the easy bit. Understanding this really simple exposition of yacht design is what takes some doing :-)

Avanti populo!

TrentePieds
Old 07-01-2016, 08:05   #147

Quote:
if you are free almost all the time,without working, you can take care very well of it...
Free all the time? While living on a boat? You're funny

But ... not working = no income = how are you going to afford the boat? And minor details like food & clothing?
Old 07-01-2016, 09:50   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
@ Stefano, #140

Vetus ain't Dutch, it's Japanese. Perkins ain't American, it's English....

You say you're poor. If so, and financial survival is your objective, don't "invest" in boats. Invest in real estate.

As for an SA/D of 22: On the typical displacement of a thirty footer you'd need about 650 square feet of sail. Twice that of the Gulf 32 and of TrentePieds. Bring out your old high school trigonometry book and bone up on the basics. You'll see that SA/D = 22 cannot be accommodated on the length of a knockabout hull without buggering up the moment arms related to stability and to balance and therefore cannot be achieved in any size of cruising monohull.

So maybe something you owe to yourself is to get a copy of something really simple and straightforward such as, say, the Francis Kinney version of Skeene's Elements of Yacht Design. That's the easy bit. Understanding this really simple exposition of yacht design is what takes some doing :-)

Avanti populo!

TrentePieds
Yeah i know vetus are marinized mitsubishi, and so on...

Thanks i know trigonometry..Or longer mast or nothing else...

I just calculated the sail /area displacement of the boat were i'm learning sail: 30... 44.000lbs with 2400 square feet of sails (only jib and mainsail), but it is a 57 ft and modified for regatta, mast elonghet almost 15 ft from the original, elonghed keel also....

OK meaning the biggest sail possible for sailing balance, keel ratio and so on...Are you happy now?
Old 07-01-2016, 09:52   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Free all the time? While living on a boat? You're funny

But ... not working = no income = how are you going to afford the boat? And minor details like food & clothing?

you are so leterally lol

My parents have a flat rented that the person who live inside pay them 500 euro a month...I think that this plus some work here and there and the thousand and thousand of post and blog that talk about how to finance while sailing is enought...
Old 07-01-2016, 10:33   #150

Quote:
My parents have a flat rented that the person who live inside pay them 500 euro a month...
Yeah - that person pays your parents -- not you.
Unless you want your parents to give you the money so you don't have to work?

Quote:
I think that this plus some work here and there and the thousand and thousand of post and blog that talk about how to finance while sailing is enought...
Seriously - you posted you had a limited budget and with the both of you working (part time?) it would be very, very difficult to afford a boat.

Since you don't seem to have a trust-fund or inheritance to live off, you'll have to work for a living. Even if your parents give you €500 a month, that's not enough for 2 adults and a boat ...

Earning a living while sailing is very, very difficult. Most people do it to make EXTRA money, but they usually have their main budget sorted out and don't need the extra income.

Anyway -- none of my beeswax what deal you make with your parents and how much you two will work - but please be aware you'll need an actual income / budget to afford a boat and to live on.