Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2011, 12:11   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico
A Defibrilator on Board ? Good Idea ?

How many cruisers carry a defibrilator?

It seems like it would be a good thing to have, but they are expensive. We have one where I work, and I've never seen it used. But if someone has a heart attack it could make the difference.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 12:21   #2

Boat: Tartan 37
Re: A defibrilator on board? Good idea?

I know it is a lot of money (~$1295) and I hope you spend the money and never use the AED, but better to have it and not need it, than to ......

I am in healthcare full-time and I can tell you that I think this is a vital expenditure. I would also suggest you ask your medical practitioner for a prescription for an EPI-Pen and keep at least one onboard. This is a pre-dosed adult (EPI-Pen Jr. for children) dose of epinephrine (adrenaline). This can be a life saver in an anaphylactic reaction -- typically an allergic reaction to an insect sting/bite or a food allergy. Both of these can be more common when travelling to new climates and diferent regions of the world.
IrishLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 12:23   #3

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Was at the beginning of them as a USCG rescue pilot and senior officer being solicited by the early vendors. Too many questions to answer back in the late 90's. Since then they have great popularity and I have had several qualification courses on using one.

Without a doubt a great idea...insurance companies often give discounts to commercial operators..you see them in many public places now like all over airports.

they are true lifesavers...after 30+ years of CPR training and numerous conversations with medical experts...CPR is almost a joke for situations where an ambulance isn't minutes away...but the AED is a true hero in bad situations.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 12:30   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLass View Post
I know it is a lot of money (~$1295) and I hope you spend the money and never use the AED, but better to have it and not need it, than to ......

I am in healthcare full-time and I can tell you that I think this is a vital expenditure. I would also suggest you ask your medical practitioner for a prescription for an EPI-Pen and keep at least one onboard. This is a pre-dosed adult (EPI-Pen Jr. for children) dose of epinephrine (adrenaline). This can be a life saver in an anaphylactic reaction -- typically an allergic reaction to an insect sting/bite or a food allergy. Both of these can be more common when travelling to new climates and diferent regions of the world.
good post,would also reccomend carrying saline and dextrose iv drip.
,anti histamines, nitro glycerine way beyond a defibrilator
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 12:33   #5

Boat: ketch, 51'

From personal and professional experience, I feel they are not a good idea.
If you need to defib an ailing pump chances are 99%(there are exceptions to every rule)
you will need IV access to administer cardiac meds, possible intubation etc within a very short time window.
They are well worth in areas such as malls, airports and other places where ALS(advanced life support) is available within minutes.

As an licenced ERNP I still can not justify having one onboard, I carry a good medical kit complete with drugs( antibiotics, pain meds, oxygen, etc.), and trauma supplies.

I guess the problem with your proposed use is the amount of time from event to definitive care.
Old 28-02-2011, 12:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario f View Post
From personal and professional experience, I feel they are not a good idea.
If you need to defib an ailing pump chances are 99%(there are exceptions to every rule)
you will need IV access to administer cardiac meds, possible intubation etc within a very short time window.
They are well worth in areas such as malls, airports and other places where ALS(advanced life support) is available within minutes.

As an licenced ERNP I still can not justify having one onboard, I carry a good medical kit complete with drugs( antibiotics, pain meds, oxygen, etc.), and trauma supplies.

I guess the problem with your proposed use is the amount of time from event to definitive care.
Very good point that I was not aware of...quantum leap over CPR but further care to the extent you described isn't well known or taught with AED training. Thank you.
Old 28-02-2011, 12:40   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I dont know, before I crossed the puddle, I had a discussion with two sailing doctors friends of mine, defib is useful in that it can provide the "golden hour". but at sea rescue could be days away. I brought an epi-pen.

dave
Old 28-02-2011, 12:42   #8

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

I don't think it's a particularly good idea, unless you sail close to a hospital and you know that you have heart disease.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 12:47   #9

Boat: Tartan 37

I agree with Mario and Atoll on the medical supplies, first aid kit, and trauma supplies. Mario, I still have to stand on my previous recommendation for AED's onboard. You don't always know how close you are to a cruise ship, cargo ship, military vessel, or the USCG. If you can defibrilate the "patient" and administer aspirin and other medications that the may already be prescibed by the "patients" practitioner you have a considerable rate of viability.
IrishLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 12:49   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 57

A friend of mine who is a medical doctor gave me some statistics about survivability after successful defilibration and if the patient is not brought to professional intensive care within a relatively short period of time the numbers go down drastically. So if you do have a device on board you'd need to be within a couple of hours of care, if you are further offshore then the device isn't as useful as one would think.
Most countries require no prescription for an Epi-Pen and I have a couple onboard despite not having any allergies, one never knows when I might have a guest or discover something that puts me or them into anaphylactic shock.
Old 28-02-2011, 12:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLass View Post
I agree with Mario and Atoll on the medical supplies, first aid kit, and trauma supplies. Mario, I still have to stand on my previous recommendation for AED's onboard. You don't always know how close you are to a cruise ship, cargo ship, military vessel, or the USCG. If you can defibrilate the "patient" and administer aspirin and other medications that the may already be prescibed by the "patients" practitioner you have a considerable rate of viability.
Also a very good point...especially if you have the comms equipment to make that rendezvous happen smoothly and quickly.
Old 28-02-2011, 12:55   #12

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

How about a AED on an electrocution? Would they need the same long term care as a heart attack victim? I know electrocutions are rare on boats, even though you are working on wiring while standing in a puddle of salt water.

The EPI pen, and a bottle of benadryl, ibuprofin, asprin, (a Cipro pack with directions). Iodine, (also cures fungal and some parasites, peroxide, and neosporin.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 13:00   #13

Boat: Allures 44

Hey, AED's have other uses, too! For example:

1. You land a really big fish and it's flopping around the cockpit
2. Drop a paddle in the water at the bow and stern and zap off those barnacles!
3. A last ditch boat defense that sidesteps the whole firearm debate
4. A backup engine battery
5. The best way to start your day after a long night at the Soggy Dollar.

Others?
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 13:07   #14

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

We carry one - I have had 2 heart attacks in the past. BUT - my wife is a nurse anesthetist and can handle drugs, intubation, etc. A friend of ours arrested in the Bite at Norman Island - luckily there was a cardiologist on the beach and VISAR arrived quickley with the difibralator and the needed cardiac meds. He survived.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 13:20   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
Hey, AED's have other uses, too! For example:

1. You land a really big fish and it's flopping around the cockpit
2. Drop a paddle in the water at the bow and stern and zap off those barnacles!
3. A last ditch boat defense that sidesteps the whole firearm debate
4. A backup engine battery
5. The best way to start your day after a long night at the Soggy Dollar.

Others?
thread drift,but unless you are qualified to use an aed a vibrator might be a better choice,with a good nurse..............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote