Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2015, 14:31   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: 95% decided - need input to get to 100%

Hi Absolutely,

Didn't mean to freak you out with the boat work in exotic places remark. While there is certainly an element of truth to that unless you have a real junker or let the maintenance slide the boat work is a pretty small part of your daily/weekly routine. To me it actually adds a lot to the adventure of cruising and some of my favorite stories relate to getting things fixed in the Caribbean.

Like the time we lost on of the boards from the main companionway hatch. Our next stop was Cap Hatien in Haiti. So we went to a lumber yard and found a very nice piece of mahogany to make a replacement. Took it back to the boat and carefully drew the angled lines to fit the slots on companionway. Didn't have any form of saw on board so went back to the lumberyard to get them to cut it for us. The guys there spoke only Creole so the request was relayed with much hand waving and pointing. The guy seemed to get it, nods, smiles and heads back to the shop. We start feeling nervous so go back to check and sure enough, he had taken a framing square and "corrected" our carefully drawn lines and was about to cut a square board for us.

So yes there will be boat stuff to fix but it is rarely a crisis, overwhelming or consuming all of your time. Just enjoy it as part of the fun. Someday I'll tell you about finding a welder in the south Bahamas.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 14:55   #32

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Just a comment about wedding day jitters.....

What I think happens is that part of you realizes that what you are about to do is very far outside the box for most people, and it gets a bit scary, we're pack animals, and there's always pressure to be part of the group. No one who is land based [and not a cruising wannabe] will understand your willingness to go out and do something so different from what they do, and will try and frighten you out of doing what you want. Frankly, the best thing to do is just to let them ramble on, and sweetly tell them you are going to do what you want to do, and eventually, they'll leave you alone about it. The only one you really have to work it out with is your daughter, if you want to still be friends later on. If she feels abandoned, it will be easier for both of you if you can work out those feelings first, before you sail off into the wild blue yonder.

Cheers,

Ann
Old 02-07-2015, 15:38   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

What I think happens is that part of you realizes that what you are about to do is very far outside the box for most people, and it gets a bit scary, we're pack animals, and there's always pressure to be part of the group. No one who is land based [and not a cruising wannabe] will understand your willingness to go out and do something so different from what they do, and will try and frighten you out of doing what you want.

Cheers,

Ann
Do you mean doing something like this? It's not so easy to find someone willing to change a light bulb 72ft up a mast, like I needed to do last weekend.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	104552  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 16:22   #34

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Love the Med. The Adriatic is great.
Love the San Juan Islands all the way to SE Alaska.
Love the Carib.
It's all good.
Buy: "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual" by Nigel Calder. I get it from Thriftbooks for about $5 a copy. Also his diesel maintenance book. Chapmans of course. Annapolis Book of Sailing.
Good that you are handy. The reason so many have stressed this that it is such a big part of the whole. Don't worry. You can survive without climbing the mast.
I like Horizon for bareboat charters in the BVI. Good idea to do that. Hire an instructor for the first few days to get the feel but the BVI is sailing Disneyland but great.
Good luck
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 16:32   #35

Boat: RIVAL 41 Cutter

What you Dare to Dream, Dare to Do.
YARGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 16:45   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Lightbulb Re: 95% decided - need input to get to 100%

StuM summed it up for you. A year in the Carribean should set you up quite nicely to expand a little on Stus succinct advice. Coastal cruising is more challenging in a lot of ways than ocean passages ( more things to hit) There is always things to fix on a boat so some mechanical & electrical knowledge is handy but you can get that with crew. It's a great adventure, cant recommend it enough.
good luck. Paul
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 20:47   #37

Just a small story. I had to squeeze down through the cockpit locker to get at the steering quadrant. Because of the many trips there, I had a really hurting back and shoulder because of lack of knowledge of what tool to take down, and because I am about 40 lbs overweight. I was resting in the cockpit when an acquaintance came by in his dingy and stopped and talked to me. when I told him what was wrong, he said to meet him at the beach in about ten minutes, and he might be able to help me out. I was hurting pretty bad so I excepted his kind offer. When I got to the beach, He had a fold up table all setup and he began to give me a complete adjustment. Without me knowing he was a professional Chiropractor. I was well by morning. So we can all go through life and get by, but there are a lot of cruisers out there that are ready and willing to help you out. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 00:26   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Do you mean doing something like this? It's not so easy to find someone willing to change a light bulb 72ft up a mast, like I needed to do last weekend.

Ken
No, actually, Ken, not so. The OP already wrote that although she is afraid of heights, she can do the mast climbing. And I sure don't think she has to like it. I'm okay with masts, but I surely didn't like the 84th floor of the John Hancock building, if I looked down.

Actually, iirc, she said she want's a short masted cat.

Not at all like your boat.

Ann
Old 03-07-2015, 00:31   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Rock Candy View Post
Just a small story. I had to squeeze down through the cockpit locker to get at the steering quadrant. Because of the many trips there, I had a really hurting back and shoulder because of lack of knowledge of what tool to take down, and because I am about 40 lbs overweight. I was resting in the cockpit when an acquaintance came by in his dingy and stopped and talked to me. when I told him what was wrong, he said to meet him at the beach in about ten minutes, and he might be able to help me out. I was hurting pretty bad so I excepted his kind offer. When I got to the beach, He had a fold up table all setup and he began to give me a complete adjustment. Without me knowing he was a professional Chiropractor. I was well by morning. So we can all go through life and get by, but there are a lot of cruisers out there that are ready and willing to help you out. Mac
What a great story, Mac, and I can validate it. One time when Jim was crippled with sciatica, a PHD acupuncturist came to the boat, worked his wonders, and Jim was able to walk the next day. The other guy was a cruiser like us.

Ann
Old 03-07-2015, 00:57   #40
cruiser

Anne,

I was joking, and being sarcastic.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:19   #41

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Anne,

I was joking, and being sarcastic.

Ken

I have a similar future in comedy. I did better in my day job.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:39   #42

Sorry, Ken,

Words look just like words, absent emoticons......and sometimes, they're opaque, too.

Ann
Old 03-07-2015, 04:43   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely View Post
I have a terrible fear of heights so anything up in the mast scares me.
Actually you dont. You have a fear of falling.

Make the ascent and stationary position when working up the mast as safe as you can, and have trust in it, and that fear will diminish accordingly.

Im not keen on heights, yet when I fly there is not an ounce of fear.....

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:17   #44

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
95% decided - need input to get to 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Actually you dont. You have a fear of falling.

Actually its not a fear of falling, it's the fear of the sudden stop at the end.

S/V B'Shert😗
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:28   #45

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Actually its not a fear of falling, it's the fear of the sudden stop at the end.

S/V B'Shert😗

He's got a point falling never killed anyone it's the sudden stop at the end that'll get you

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum