Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2016, 14:02   #1

40-50ft Monohull?

Hi all, I'm looking for advice on a great liveaboard monohull in the 40-50ft range. It'll be me, my girlfriend, and my cat. For now it'll be used for living and small trips on the west coast near San Francisco. Eventually I may use it for ocean crossings, but I may not. I'll list a few priorities with all of that in mind:

1) Price. Under 150k is best, and in the 50-80k range would be ideal. I can afford the purchase and any maintenance, but I don't want to overspend on a depreciating asset (or liability, as it may be).

2) Liveability for two. I'm looking for the fewest cabins possible (2 or 3 depending on model). Sensible storage, layout, nice cabin for the two of us, ideally comfortable seating in two separate rooms so we can find our alone time. Good inner lighting. A cockpit which can be enclosed would be a bonus as I'm in San Francisco, and the weather is often chilly but not freezing.

3) Not too old, not too new. Trying to strike a balance between cost of purchase, cost of maintenance, and losses due to depreciation. I'm guessing a production boat between 1995 and 2005 would fit the bill. I would really appreciate advice regarding finding this sweet spot.

4) Seaworthy. Kind of goes without saying, but San Francisco is on the ocean and I want a reasonably safe and well sailing vessel.

5) Reliable. I'd rather have a Toyota than a Ford if that gives you any insight. Generally I'm looking for less wood (fewer moisture related problems) and well engineered mechanicals.

Other things lower on the list are extra space for all the extras I might ever want such as more watermaker, generator, batteries, solar, more fuel/water capacity, dive compressor, etc.

Any advice regarding makes and models as well as general advice would be greatly appreciated.

So far models I've looked at include the Beneteau 400, 411, 461, 50; Hanse 400, 411, 461; Hunter Passage 42, Bavaria 40, 44, 49, 50; Looked at Jeanneau a little.
pontoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 15:30   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: 40-50ft Monohull?

Pontoon, You seem to have a well thought plan. I'm sure that you've noticed during your reviews of boats, that there's a huge difference in the volume of a 40' and 50' vessel. Most couples with a cat are going to be able to have ample space and money saved with something closer to the 40' side.

I understand your insight to recognize the importance of individual separate space. We've lived aboard as a couple and during times with children and always made sure that everyone had an opportunity for private space.

I know your request includes thoughts about specific boat manufacturers; however, when you're looking at boats that are ten to twenty years old, the manner in which they've been cared for begin having an increased importance.

I'm not discounting the importance of good strong construction, but other factors come into play. With today's weather forecasting, it's possible to rely on a very predictable safe forecast for at least three days. Of course, the US West Coast does not have as many and closely spaced good inlets compared to the US East Coast. Planning the timing of your passages by season and short term forecasts broadens the range of suitable vessels. If you will be planning passages that set you beyond the confirmed forecasts, you'll need to be more concerned with strong and heavy construction.

Welcome to the community. Keep us informed of your search and your adventures.
Old 10-07-2016, 18:58   #3

I found a Sabre 402 project boat near me 1999 Sabre 402 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

It has experienced some hatch leakage and needs some woodwork (probably new floor)/refinishing of sun faded cherry, needs new top coat on the deck and maybe hull, possibly/probably new rod rigging, water pumps not working, plus other misc things like bulbs out and needs new running rigging. Engine has 3500 hours. If I were to offer low and get it, would you take it, or pass due to all the deferred maintenance? I'm handy (done a fair amount of home remodeling) but inexperienced with working on a sailboat.
pontoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 00:07   #4

Jeanneau SunOdyssey 43 or 43 DS. both have convertible cabins. aft cabins can be made into owner's stateroom.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:32   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

My choice would be the Sabre over those boats listed in your first post. This is a very well made boat and, by my thoughts, in better condition than a "project boat".

You might not think it true by looking at my own boat, but I succumb to pretty!

Tags
hull, monohull