Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2018, 05:23   #1

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32
36' Rule for Liveaboard

has anyone heard of mariners imposing a minimum of 36' for liveaboard boats? i seem to remember a couple of years ago being told this by a marina. 36' had been my minimum requirement for some time but now i find myself looking at a solid (looking) 33' sailboat. i will be spending some time in mariners over the next year or so.
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: 36' Rule for Liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven UK View Post
... a minimum of 36' for liveaboard boats? i seem to remember a couple of years ago being told this by a marina...
That would be a rule/condition (one of several) imposed upon live-aboards by a specific marina; not a general rule/regulation. These live-aboard rules are quite variable from marina to marina.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:04   #3

I've been calling around marinas in Kemah, TX and most of them have some sort of rule on the length, either 35 feet or 40 feet.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:07   #4

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Why do marinas hate live aboardss? What it matter if someone live aboard on 40 or 30 feet ?
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:23   #5

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
Why do marinas hate live aboardss? What it matter if someone live aboard on 40 or 30 feet ?

Having been in a marina that let anyone live aboard any size, I can say generally (there are exceptions) that the type of person who will live aboard a 25’ boat is not the type of tenant that a reputable business wants around. This sucks, for those of us who are not them, but a bad egg can ruin an omelet.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:24   #6
rbk

Boat: T37

I see more derelict larger boats as undesirable live aboards than small ones. Our marina imposed a smart rule last year to get rid of the few we had. Every boat must leave the harbour twice a year minimum under its own power, this helps ensure people look after them and keep them maintained. There are exceptions to this of course but we now have zero decaying liabilities in the harbor. I hope to see my anode wastage reduce this year as a result. I think a combination of rules is a good way to go not just a length. The 36’ rule keeps quite a few 28-35’ extremely capable boats out of the equation.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:38   #7

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Sailmonkey has the right answer.

Just one or two can and have ruined it for many. Imagine you buy a marina and invest in facilities like a restaurant, laundry room, showers, landscaping, etc.

You like the idea of livaboards so you allow them.

Six months later the blue tarp goes up, the deflated inflatables arrive, then the dog, then the yelling and being told you’re intolerant of a lifestyle.

Oh yea, and the slip fees stop coming in because the check didn’t show up.

Same with anchorages and why some communities want to ban the same. Hard to blame them.

I have lived onboard at marinas and anchorages (old port cove for one where Jack Nicholus (sp) was my neighbor) on as small as a J24.

Always kept my vessels tidy and ship shape. My neighbors, not so much.

So there ya go. Hope that answers your question on why some marinas do not care much for liveaboards.
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:41   #8

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Why do marinas hate live aboardss?

At best, liveaboards increase costs for the marina by making heavier use of shared services.

In many cases, liveaboards create a disproportionate share of problems for the marina management because they lack the financial resources and space to deal with the typical problems many people face.

Quote:
What it matter if someone live aboard on 40 or 30 feet ?

Because people on smaller boats are more likely to overuse shared marina resources due to a lack of sufficient space on board. Also, many people living aboard smaller vessels are in a financially precarious position.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:53   #9

I would guess they want a minimum fee for liveaboards. If you offer them the same rate as a 36 footer the objection will likely evaporate.
grahamj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:09   #10

Same reason many RV parks have rules excluding old RV's . The old RV might be in pristine condition maintained as a classic, yet we need to exclude them from raining on our parade. Show me the money.
passthetuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:15   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
At best, liveaboards increase costs for the marina by making heavier use of shared services.

In many cases, liveaboards create a disproportionate share of problems for the marina management because they lack the financial resources and space to deal with the typical problems many people face.

Because people on smaller boats are more likely to overuse shared marina resources due to a lack of sufficient space on board. Also, many people living aboard smaller vessels are in a financially precarious position.
Oh, if you use the marina facilities, which you pay for, you are a problem. What's over use the facilities?? Every marina I've been is a ghost land during the week and often the same on weekends in the off season, even in areas with mild winters. Maybe the live aboards take up two parking spaces but that's probably the case no matter the size of the boat.

Yes live aboards can be a pain for the management because they are there everyday and expect things they are paying for to be available and work. Yes there can be a problem with a trashed non seaworthy boat. That's really a failing of the management not ensuring that boats be capable of going out, even if it's just a short run around a buoy. My slip mate now is a live aboard and has been for 20 plus years. His boat is a 26' 50 year old Pearson. The boat is not pristine but is very seaworthy that he takes on regular multi day excursions and no clutter. Across the way is a non live aboard, few feet longer, few years old boat that looks like they are using it for a storage space.

Think that the length minimums are an easy way for the marina to discourage lower income live aboards. After all, can't have 'those people' mingling with the economically privileged.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:16   #12

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
It’s not about hating marinas, as stated before it’s about keeping undesirable people out who do not maintain their boats or follow basic standards. If you are a good sailing citizen, you just need to rent transient dockage and get to know the dockmaster and office staff. They may just allow you to rent on a long term basis. When you call they have no idea of the type of person you are or the condition of your boat.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:18   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Part of the problem is the government. Many areas have prohibitive rules for marinas that have liveaboards. I have a private dock, but have to carry a millon $ insurance on the dock for pollution control even though there are no fuel or oil sources in the house or on the dock. A marina nearby doesn't allow liveaboards because of the state or county (Oregon), but they have turned a blind eye to undeclared liveaboards.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:28   #14

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Agree that some liveaboards can ruin it for everyone else.

We have life aboards who know zip about boats, sailing or motor. Some of these motor vessels do not have engines, or are inoperative, so the " home in the marina ' never leaves the docks.

The owners have no ability for handling, or knowledge of boats of any kind, The pump what ever they want into the harbor waters. They join a party down yacht club, and spend plenty of time at the habor waterfront bars.

The above isd just one of many. Most are illegal, and many try to keep a low profile .

As to length, most of these are in the 30 foot range.

The size of the vessel, with good competent sailors, and who take good care of their vessel and the dock area, and are respectful, I would not have a problem with.

the others as metnioned by AK are definitely out there, and should be removed from the harbor as to having a vessel that is a liveabord.

Gotta git...
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:41   #15

Boat: J/42

Yes, I've run into the 36-foot rule before. And the old RV rule. As far as I can see, there is no defensible logical reason. It's just snobbery. Big boats can and do have bigger blue tarps, and more financially desperate owners, than small boats...

Re: Oregon. There are marinas that allow liveaboards. But not in areas controlled by the Corps of Engineers. The CoE has no rules about liveaboards, and their philosophy is that if a use is not specifically allowed, then it is forbidden. Same for private anchor buoys, but enforcement, if any, is complaint-driven.
Now, the state does forbid anchoring for more than 30 days. Then you have to move five miles. A law made up for two or three specific people who built condos on an industrial waterfront and think they own everything within their view. I think someone should organize the blue-tarp brigade and make sure that as everyone moves their boats around, there are always a few particularly ripe examples anchored in front of those condos.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, rule