Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-12-2015, 16:35   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5
30-Day Bahamas Limit?

I've received what I believe to be a great quote for insurance on our cruising boat that we finally have purchased (thank you, thank you) from Foremost. Many good things about the policy, but one oddity that I don't understand. There is a 30-day cruising limit for Bahamian waters. Why would this be? The broker that will be selling me the policy couldn't really tell me. He said he thought that it was some sort of regulation that Americans cruising in the Bahamas only had 30 days to be there legally, so the insurance company, in turn, would only insure you for that amount of time. Anybody have any insight?

awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 17:07   #2

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah
Re: 30-Day Bahamas Limit??

I suspect that is the limit under the quoted policy, and if you want to stay longer you need to add that coverage. Of course the broker should have known this.
The standard stay in the Bahamas for a US citizen is 90 days, but you can often get a longer stay or get an extension.
A cruising permit to temporarily import you boat into the Bahamas is good for 1 year. I'd get more info on this policy and the company, especially since the broker doesn't appear to know JS.

jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 17:13   #3

Boat: 38' French Cat
Re: 30-Day Bahamas Limit??

Doesn't sound so great for a cruising boat. My 2c find an insurance co that insures cruisers. The co providing your quote doesnt seem to know much. We like Novamar in Sarasota and they underwrite for several companies. The only places were not not covered is Columbia, cuba, and belize.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 20:47   #4

Boat: 2002 Seawind 1000 (33 ft) Cat
Re: 30-Day Bahamas Limit?

Yep, I have Foremost as well, and am heading to Bahamas next year for probably 60-75 days. There is no rider available from them for a longer stay. My Farmers agent contacted them - they are owned by Farmers - and their advice was to leave Bahamas and come back, and that would reset the clock to allow another 30 days. That is so stupid. Plus if you are in Exumas, it is a pretty decent haul to get into international waters, to reset the clock. And I fully suspect that if you have an accident 30 days after your checkin, you better be able to show a GPS track leaving Bahama waters.

I am going to switch to another company for the trip, and then back to Foremost when I get back. Their rate is very good, and I have their Premiere coverage which is very comprehensive. As my other insurance is also with Farmers, I get multi policy discounts. As a result, all other insurance quotes have come in at least $500 more than Foremost, and BoatUS was double what I am paying for Foremost.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote

Bahamas, bahamas

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: