Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-08-2013, 14:10   #1

3 Staterooms Under 45'

Hello all,

My husband and I are looking to purchase a boat to live on. We are fairly new to this, but have thought about it forever. We had a small owens cabin cruiser in the past for occasional use. What we are looking for is a boat under 45' that has 3 staterooms/cabins. I love the older monk and chris crafts, but am not opposed to looking at other boats. Our budget is 30,000 or less, so we realize we will have to get something older that may need some work.

Old 16-08-2013, 14:33   #2

Boat: 42' Sportfish
Re: 3 staterooms under 45'

Do you intend to use it as a boat, as well? (Sorry if that sounds funny, but some don't actually care as much about the performance aspect.) If so, what kind of boating do you hope to do?

-Chris

Old 16-08-2013, 14:54   #3

we will take it out sometimes, we will have it moored at a marina for the most part. If it proves to difficult to take out on the water, we will get a smaller boat for toodling around.
Old 16-08-2013, 15:40   #4

I wasn't thinking so much about difficulty of taking it out; more about do you want to go fast, slow, on in between; short or long trips; coastal, ocean, or riverine navigation; and so forth. Although it is the case that if you live aboard, you may have to take care to bolt down your household stuff when you leave the slip

Since you said Owens, Monk, and Chris Craft, I assume you're looking for power boats?

If you've not looked on yachtworld.com, that's a decent place to start. Their search engine isn't great for using the number of staterooms as a primary search criteria... but if you start looking closer at boats that appeal to you, the listing will (usually) define how many staterooms that boat has. Set a top $$ limit of $100K to start; that'll return some boats out of your range, but might also nominate some models where older version of the same boat could work.

If you find some likely candidates there, that can provide example for additional discussion... Sorta like the first dart; once we know where that lands, it gets easier to see what's around it

-Chris
Old 16-08-2013, 16:35   #5

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Ranger42c has some good suggetions. If I could add to that, I would say to give a couple of reputable brokers in the Seattle area a call. There are many wooden boats in need of love up there. There is also a very large dry marine storage business just north of Everett on Union Slough that you might check out. It is right beside I-5. The name escapes me at the moment (age is eating away at my memory) but some one on CF I'm sure knows the name. Great spot to just wander around with many 'for sale' signs. good luck in your search... Phil
Old 18-08-2013, 09:22   #6

thanks guys, we are also not opposed to sailboats. Is a huge space sacrfice when you go with a sailboat vs a power boat? Ranger 42c, we are not super concerned about speed as we would only take the boat out occasionally. Our big concern is enough space for our family, and staying under our budget. it looks like chris crafts have a few with 3 staterooms, I have looked at sailbioats, and notice quite a few have 3 as well, but we are concerned that they are quite a bit smaller inside?
Old 18-08-2013, 10:19   #7

Usually a monohull sailboat will have similar but not exactly equal space when compared to an "express-" style powerboat. Saloon, galley, and staterooms below deck on both, plus cockpit -- but usually also with a "bridge deck" for additional space on the powerboat.

Powerboats also tend to be "fatter" than monohull sailboats for the same length, and the amount of that beam carried over the length can add quite a bit of volume. Then too, powerboats with raised saloons, and of course flying bridges, expand on that space quite bit.

Exceptions to all that, of course.

Then there are catamarans, either power or sail. Both can add volume, some able to compete with monohull powerboats of longer length.

I'm not very familiar with sail brands/models... but if the old Chris Crafts powerboats float your boat, you could look at similar from Hatteras, Carver, boats with the word "tri-cabin" in their name (might be a Viking like that), maybe some old Marine Trader "trawlers (or Grand Banks, at the higher end), etc.

Another search key might be to looks at "aft-cabin" -- or "trunk cabin" in trawler-style boats -- or "motor yacht," which some makers use to imply an aft cabin (contrast with sportfish and "convertible" boats, which don't usually have three cabins until you get into the 45' range). An older aft cabin motor yacht would usually have the owner's stateroom at the stern (abaft the engines) and one. two, or more cabins forward.

-Chris
Old 18-08-2013, 11:51   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by priestoso View Post
.......................... Our big concern is enough space for our family .............................
I don't know the dynamics of your family, but I'll share our decision that we made to accomodate our daughter and son when they were 9 and 7 years old until they moved off as adults. We had been living aboard for years before they were born and from infants, they just kept growing! We bought a 41' boat with a huge aft cabin. My wife and I were very comfortable in the foward cabin and we split the aft cabin for our children. We were able to do this without a major structural refit. We placed two computer hutches back to back supporting a dividing wall between them and fitted this to the base of the existing centerline. This left each of our children with a full berth and small standing area with shelving and accomodating personal space.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: