Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 00:45   #1

25' Tomahawk - Shower

Hi. We're going through the phase of starting living aboard
We bought (with my husband) 25ft Marcon Tomahawk, which seems to be very spacious for the length. Generally feels reasonably comfortable for two, but there are few tune-ups we need to sort out. Main problem seems to be a shower. As a emergency shower we use garden pressure sprayer which we can use in the self draining cockpit with tent. It's good as an emergency, but we need to sort out something permanent, inside the cabin to be able to use it for example - during the winter (UK). Have you come across any reasonable solutions for small boats?
I think fitting proper shower in the heads area may not be doable - it would block the entrance to the fore-cabin.
Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:16   #2

Boat: Endeavour 37
A friend of mine is living aboard a Catalina 27 and he is currently using the cockpit/garden hose shower set up you mentioned. He knows once winter arrives that won't be an option. A permantent shower stall is not an option as it will also block the v-berth. It seems that he is going to resolve the problem by first installing an in-line 12v water heater that heats water as it passes through a relatively small heating apparatus. Of course, that leaves him without hot water when he is not at a marina with running water, but that is a sacrafice he is willing to make. Next he is going to run a shower curtin around the outside of the head area since the head itself is too small for him to shower. The shower curtin will be easily assemled and disassembled, at least in theory. He will then be able to sit on the toilet with a flexible tubed shower head and clean up. I'll let you know in about four months whether his theory is also practical. I'm sure he would appreciate any other resolutions to this problem.
pjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:52   #3

You just gave me an idea of expanding the heads just for shower. Custom made tray to stand on with water drainage, would be a way to go. Curtains though are the problem. I've designed internal shower cabin for LandRover Defender - and drying out the courtains/extracting moisture was a main concern. So it would have to be some sort of at least temporary stationary shower cabin, that can stay in place for few hours to dry out, without affecting living space (at least not too seriously). Then it may be dissembled, or moved somehow.
25footer is a real challenge for a designer, to fit everything that's needed and still be able to live there with a reasonable sense of comfort
Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower