Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 13:08   #31

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: 1st timer - reluctant 1st mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunchaser View Post
Seasickness - Most people try to treat seasickness and hour before they leave the docks. The best thing is to do a loading dose of Meclazine (the cheapest form to purchase) Ask the pharmacist they usually keep it behind the register. Dosing: 4-5 days before you are going out take 25mg three times a day daily. Yes, it's not the usual dosing, but it is a very safe drug. Continue to do this for at least 1-2 days after you are aboard the boat. At that point your inner ear has acclimated to the movement. This will work for car sickness etc. it is safe enough for animals to take. We would give our cat 12.5 mg.
Possessions - You soon learn that possessions own you, you don't own them. You have to dust them, admire them, put them in safe places. I'm every bit as happy with fewer possessions and more free time not spent dusting and admiring them.
Good Luck...there really are a lot of women out there living aboard who love it, and I'm one of them!
Thank you ... nice to hear you are enjoying it. I am certain my Admiral will too. I know I will. I have never been seasick but I know there is always a first time even for hardened seamen. My Admiral is the unknown factor so perhaps heeding your advice is prudent.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 14:32   #32

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

As with almost any medication, Meclazine, while I do believe it to be fairly safe, it is not without side effects. I took it years ago when I did not know if I would get sea sick or not. For me, it changed the way some food tasted, and generally made me tired. I couldn't wait to get off of it, but if you are prone to sea sickness the side effects would be worth it.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 23:27   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
As with almost any medication, Meclazine, while I do believe it to be fairly safe, it is not without side effects. I took it years ago when I did not know if I would get sea sick or not. For me, it changed the way some food tasted, and generally made me tired. I couldn't wait to get off of it, but if you are prone to sea sickness the side effects would be worth it.
Ok, thanks, we will take precautions and look into the various meds available for seasickness and maybe take along more than just one brand. Like I said, for me I have never needed anything and perhaps it might just be a question of witing to see if the Admiral gets seasick or not before we just take medication for something that won't present itself.
Old 02-10-2012, 23:53   #34

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Try a crewed catamaran charter in the BVI's.

And then perhaps a cople of boat shows where she can try out a few vessels.

That could get expensive though.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 00:33   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Try a crewed catamaran charter in the BVI's.

And then perhaps a cople of boat shows where she can try out a few vessels.

That could get expensive though.
We have been around Antigua on a large chartered catamaran but didn't get to take the helm. Our funds have to be saved so chartering is out of the question for us. Rather put that money to good use on safety equipment and ensuring that rigging is good etc.
Old 03-10-2012, 00:47   #36

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

For a "nester", the mere notion of moving to a life aboard may be threatening and upsetting. You may have to take smaller steps and find ways to give her some control of the process.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:25   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
For a "nester", the mere notion of moving to a life aboard may be threatening and upsetting. You may have to take smaller steps and find ways to give her some control of the process.
I agree but she is not a "nester". She is as happy as me to get rid of the "clutter" in our lives and seek adventure. We are both adventurous people and have hated this lifestyle for a long time now (years)!
Old 03-10-2012, 03:16   #38
Armchair Bucketeer

Apparently being cold, wet and occassionally scared is not for everyone .

If I had any doubts about a Missus being able to cope with that end of boat and couldn't start her off with the sunkissed anchorages (and fun!) end of things I would seriously consider flying her out to the first (warm) destination and make the first few months without any serious passages whilst you train her up - both as crew and as a captain (the latter will make both your lives easier - and should give her confidence in both the boat and you by making her trust based on her own knowledge.......useful for when things become less than ideal.......my suspicion is that at least some of the reason for wives not wanting to continue is a lack of confidence in the Skipper, whether consciously or not. After all, crew is putting lives in the hands of a Skipper).

Everything has a cost of course - but jumbojet ticket and maybe some delivery crew cheaper than selling the boat .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:27   #39

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

+1

Absolutely right DOJ. Both wife and husband should be able to handle the boat with ease. If for no other reason - then safety. If the husband falls and breaks a leg or whatever, its damn good if the wife can sail the boat in.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:48   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Apparently being cold, wet and occassionally scared is not for everyone .

If I had any doubts about a Missus being able to cope with that end of boat and couldn't start her off with the sunkissed anchorages (and fun!) end of things I would seriously consider flying her out to the first (warm) destination and make the first few months without any serious passages whilst you train her up - both as crew and as a captain (the latter will make both your lives easier - and should give her confidence in both the boat and you by making her trust based on her own knowledge.......useful for when things become less than ideal.......my suspicion is that at least some of the reason for wives not wanting to continue is a lack of confidence in the Skipper, whether consciously or not. After all, crew is putting lives in the hands of a Skipper).

Everything has a cost of course - but jumbojet ticket and maybe some delivery crew cheaper than selling the boat .
Yeah, there is no doubt that we will do the cruising around the Caribbean before we even consider any Ocean passage. We are both adventurous and whilst we are not scared in the true sense of the word, my Admiral is entering into unchartered territory but is up for a challenge and adventure.

We are not one's to sit around in our comfort zone, so to speak. Having said that there is no way we will take any chances and set out knowingly into stormy weather. I have experienced 3 storms in the Indian Ocean along the South African coast and had to haul in a storm jib after the rope snapped on the 80 footer I was crewing on. I found it to be fun ... but then again I was a lot younger and quite a bit more "bullet-proof" (most would say stupid lol).

Probably the only thing that scared me a bit was the fact that there were submerged rocks showing themselves maybe 100ft from our course and as the breaking waves washed over them and we were being blown closer and closer to a very rugged coastline.

We had a Brazilian skipper and it was clear that he was not a happy chappy in those conditions but we made it and that's what counts!
Old 03-10-2012, 05:54   #41

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Its a really tough thing to find the right boat. Sea motion is everything and lots of boats handle it differently. My admiral and I endured a few days offshore in some rough and nasty in a 31 but very heavy mono and the seamotion never bothered her a bit. We bought a cat and in less rough stuff she would get sea sick from the quick choppy motion. We bought a slightly bigger and better designed cat that has a much better motion and so far no sickness. Every boat is different and a compromise. It will take a lot of patience and time to find what she might be ok with. Many people bought a boat to live their dream only to sell it after a bad trip.
This is a great post. Matching the boat to the person is very important. One thing I would add is that is that a good helmsman can change the motion of a boat. One of my favorite comments came from my old windsurfer training partner Roserita who would shake her finger at me and say "Thomas, you must learn to play with the waves". I would rather have a good helmsman in a bad boat than a bad helmsman in a good boat.

There are some tricks that can help with seasickness. I just returned from a dive trip in Mexico off a 38ft sports fisherman with a stinky diesel engine that did not help with the seasickness. There were four guys from Finland who flew in from Europe and went diving the next day. They all suffered from seasickness, but by the second all but one have recovered and by the third day seasickness was no problem. Conventional advice is to look at a distant horizon will help end or prevent seasickness.

That being said my sister-in-law gets seasick when her kids have no issue and she mostly stays on shore when my brother goes out.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:11   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
This is a great post. Matching the boat to the person is very important. One thing I would add is that is that a good helmsman can change the motion of a boat. One of my favorite comments came from my old windsurfer training partner Roserita who would shake her finger at me and say "Thomas, you must learn to play with the waves". I would rather have a good helmsman in a bad boat than a bad helmsman in a good boat.

There are some tricks that can help with seasickness. I just returned from a dive trip in Mexico off a 38ft sports fisherman with a stinky diesel engine that did not help with the seasickness. There were four guys from Finland who flew in from Europe and went diving the next day. They all suffered from seasickness, but by the second all but one have recovered and by the third day seasickness was no problem. Conventional advice is to look at a distant horizon will help end or prevent seasickness.

That being said my sister-in-law gets seasick when her kids have no issue and she mostly stays on shore when my brother goes out.
Yeah, I agree with that ... as an ex windsurfer myself I know how important it was to learn to use the waves/swell. I have also found that anyone experiencing seasickness, has generally had it disappear after the end of the 2nd day. Of course diesel fumes and a hangover are deadly for bringing on seasickness. Let's hope none of the three are ever a problem (well, maybe the 2nd one might be from time to time when, not if, we meet up with friendly, like-minded people).
Old 04-10-2012, 14:57   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27

I get my Missus on the tiller often when we are picking up a buoy or when there is anchor work I can handle the heavy stuff and she is happy to steer. Also when we are on a passage and hand steering she sails a far straighter course than me, she anticipates the waves and has a much better attention span, I quite easily get distracted but she can do two things at once.
Old 04-10-2012, 15:08   #44

May I suggest a sea trail? Not of the boat but of The Admiral? Give it a shot, see how she feels and come back if necessary, tray again with various notions - bands, drugs, ginger, hypnosis...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 18:47   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
May I suggest a sea trail? Not of the boat but of The Admiral? Give it a shot, see how she feels and come back if necessary, tray again with various notions - bands, drugs, ginger, hypnosis...
A good suggestion. Unfortunately until we finish selling up our world not too much chance of that, as we live inland and are not near the coast. We also don't know anyone with a yacht here in the UK.

Whatever the case, we are not going to let the thought that seasickness might be a problem, put us off anyway. Like all of the little things sent to "test" us, it will be combated if it rears it's ugly head lol.