Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2018, 06:16   #16

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: 1958 Rhodes Bounty II TELEIA

A great looking boat, and a good tale of seamanship saving that mast.
Old 29-06-2018, 08:17   #17

Boat: Rhodes Bounty II

TELEIA sure looks good from 100' away! Ha ha ha just leave the binoculars in the drawer.

I took a look at that Rhodes Offshore 41 refit. Holy moly that's a refit. Just drooling over the tools in that shop. I really regret parting with my shop tools. I have all my portable contractor stuff. Shouldn't complain. It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools.

Somebody put a whole lotta dough into that refit, that's for sure. Out of my league. It's nice to see an example of what could be done.

It is hot, and it's time for me to work out the shade systems. I laid a traditional painted canvas deck about 3 years ago and still have some canvas left over, which is what I will use. On the list are a tiller sock, hatch covers, and an awning of some kind. I have pieces of a dodger, but the fittings have been removed and are gone. Might be time to take on that project too.

I will get up the mast to get the other spreader down tonight or tomorrow morning when it's calm and a little cooler. Being up the mast with all the power boat traffic tempts me into hating them, which isn't healthy.
JDOradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 09:16   #18

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOradio View Post

Somebody put a whole lotta dough into that refit, that's for sure. Out of my league. It's nice to see an example of what could be done.
Yeah I think folks who see that refit fall into one of two camps: "why on Earth would anyone go to all that trouble and expense for such an old boat and outdated design?" and "God, how beautiful, I wish I could do that for my boat."
And, yes, I wish I had that shop and all those tools!!!
40 years ago I had my first boat in Santa Barbara and there was a Bounty in the slip across from mine. I was there for 10 years and I never saw the boat go out, but it was always well-maintained. (The owner, I understood, in poor health but quite wealthy, never wanted to give up on the boat or the dream of getting back out on her one day.) I would often just study it and marvel at the lines, and was fascinated with the blend of the traditional and the modern (for 1958) that came together in that boat... and at the chainplates bolted to the hull the way they were... and the round cockpit and all the bronze fittings and the big bronze tiller. It had the colors popular of its day, refrigerator white and Willy's beryl green (turquoise.) It just always LOOKED like a great boat to sail, but I only admired it from the dock. Before I knew what it was, I was commenting to my buddy with his Downeaster 38 next to it (what a contrast) and he looked at me seriously, being an old salt, and said with a tone of reverence, "that's a BOUNTY." I dared not ask anymore questions for fear I would appear more foolish and uneducated than I already had.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 21:33   #19

Gold plater or not, She has stunning lines.

The two halyards halfway up the mast are possibly spinnaker pole topping lifts or maybe for a spinnaker staysail halyard.

A common reason for spreader failures is the spreader slipping down on the stay if the lashing on the end isn't very well done and the angle doesn't properly bisect the shroud angles.
Old 30-06-2018, 05:39   #20

Boat: S2 9.1

Just an interesting side note: these Bounty's originally came with a fiberglass mast and boom. They wanted to prove you could build a boat with absolutely no wood.

Guess the fiberglass mast and booms did not work out so well as I believe they were all replaced.

Nice to see her out sailing again!
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:42   #21

I'm a sailboat again. I built a whole new spreader. Rigged it up. It works.

Not without trials. I lost the bronze fitting for the outboard end of the spreader when it failed. I initially planned to get a properly sized blank of aluminum to machine using the remaining spreader as a pattern, but a careful study of the bronze hardware on an old wood boom I've been hoarding revealed a piece almost the correct shape. I was able to fashion a quite suitable fitting, and then drop it in the water by the dock. Agony! No more sacrificial bronze hardware to harvest! Hours of work down the drain.

I hadn't been swimming, and the crud on the pilings isn't particularly inviting, but I went in and got it. My previous mentality was if it gets dropped in the water it's gone forever, but instead it was only 7 feet away, albeit invisible.

About 10 years ago I found some very old quarter sawn red oak in a barn. I have been lugging it around since, and that was the only wood I had that would serve so I used it. I'm familiar with the problems using red oak in boat construction, but it's compression strength exceeds Sitka Spruce, which is the gold standard for spars. It's only slightly heavier than the other spreader which is Douglas Fir. I matched the shape and dimensions of the original spreader, but I am gun shy and second guessing everything. I am going to keep a close eye on them.

Old 13-07-2018, 02:50   #22

Looks very good, but just make sure the spreader end is properly seized onto the wire so it cannot move up or down at all, especially when you jump up and down on the spreader!
Old 27-07-2018, 07:20   #23

Boat: Hans Christian 43

Amazing work. can i ask what you used for the wood in your boom, and how you were able to turn it down.
helmanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 12:59   #24

Hi;
I did a complete refit on a Rhodes Bounty 2 in the mid 80's. She was my pride and joy and my home in the Annapolis area for 14 years.
Her name was and hopefully still is MANITOU. She is a yawl rig and I believe she was hull # 28 and had a tiller.
I too went through all of things that you are going through.
Please let me know if I can be of help.
David Murphy
David Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 21:33   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Murphy View Post
Hi;
I did a complete refit on a Rhodes Bounty 2 in the mid 80's. She was my pride and joy and my home in the Annapolis area for 14 years.
Her name was and hopefully still is MANITOU. She is a yawl rig and I believe she was hull # 28 and had a tiller.
I too went through all of things that you are going through.
Please let me know if I can be of help.
David Murphy
Welcome aboard David! Got any old photos? The Bounty and the later Rhodes 41 are a couple of my favorites. Why not check out the Plastic Classics thread and group?
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Plastic Classics

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ic-160329.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 17-09-2018, 05:20   #26

Hi David,

Great to hear from you. I appreciate your offer of help. I'm still in the thick of it. My progress is slowed by the fact that I often go sailing instead of staying at the dock to work on the boat like I should. Like today ha ha.

I'm about to tackle painting the deck. There is a lot of gel coat damage, cracking, crazing, chunks missing, etc. and that has posed questions in my mind as to how to deal with it. On one hand I could grind, fair with epoxy fairing filler, sand smooth and then paint (probably with brightside or similar one part) but without removing all the deck hardware, ports, etc, that process would be difficult. Or I could just splash something cheap everywhere and do a proper job later when i have a month indoors somewhere. I'm also inclined to remove the gray rubber caprail and install proper wood. Around the top of the cockpit coaming too. But that is a BIG job, and it's still jusy a hazy thought at this point.

I did get the fresh water systems in top shape - filters, cleaning, new lines, etc. Next weekend I have a water heater installation planned.

Here are a few pics of the head and sink, and some sailing.

Every time I sail, I love the boat even more. I'm getting the hang of inducing her to sail herself, which she does quite well here and there. Like a good dog who comes when you call.

Also I offer an invite to anyone who would like to come out sailing in Teleia.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2324.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	401.6 KB
ID:	177479   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2325.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	410.8 KB
ID:	177480  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2323.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	177481  
Old 17-09-2018, 05:33   #27

Sailing last monday. The new spreader and boom seem to be holding up well.

Old 17-09-2018, 19:17   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOradio View Post
Sailing last monday. The new spreader and boom seem to be holding up well.

WOW! Beautiful! Feels great to enjoy the fruits of your labor with a good breeze eh?
I sure know your dilemma about the deck. You should see mine, I think mine might win for ugliest... but to remove all the deck hardware and do the job right would disable the boat for months (in my case) and then I'd miss out on any chance to sail. I guess I'd say grind, fill, smooth and prime the majority of it for now and keep sailing until that day when you are ready to line up all the stuff, and paint and helpers to attack it right.
In any case she sure is beautiful from a distance!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 18-09-2018, 09:15   #29

Hello Don and JD;
Don-I will attempt to scan and post a few photo's of MANITOU in the near future. I am a computer idiot and will need my wife's help to do so. Cell phones and digital cameras had not yet been invented during the time that I owned my Bounty2. This may take a while.

Hi JD-"A thing of beauty is a joy forever". My Rhodes was a great deal of work but the satisfaction, pride and joy it brought me were well worth the sore knees and finger tips worn raw from sanding. I hope that you are enjoying the process.

I would very much like to meet you and TELEIA and see your handiwork. We may be able to sort out some of your deck hardware and running rigging. For what it is worth we can talk about the approach to painting her topsides. Or at least I can tell you what my approach was. I had the same problems as you.

I'm not sure how to protect your anonymity for sharing info such as phone numbers and locations. Perhaps we can meet somewhere near your boat and drive the rest of the way in tandem.

I have some photo's and line drawings that I will bring along. It would be nice to meet you and take a little trip down memory lane.

Hope to hear from you soon.

David
David Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 19:16   #30

You guys can always Private Message each other by going to your profile pages.

For anyone else interested in the joy of owning and restoring a true classic I see that one just popped up for sail in Maine in our own classifieds:
For Sale: Rhodes Bounty II Project - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

1957, one of the first!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37