Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2017, 07:03   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
1 Year Cruising Anniversary

Tomorrow is my 1 year anniversary of full time cruising and living on the boat. When I first joined CF I had never even sailed before, so I feel I'm a wannabee success! While it hasn't exactly been what I dreamed, it has been pretty much what I expected. The real measurement of whether we like it or not is that we are making plans for where we are going and what we are going to do during year 2, so we must like it enough to continue.

I considered making a list of what I expected, to what cruising really has been like, but decided to leave it open for other cruisers to post. But I will share one since it is a topic I spent a lot of time on prior to starting and continue to post about, and 1 other:

Costs are more than expected! I read it over and over, but didn't fully accept it, the boat sucks more out of your pocket than you expect and they are mostly lots of little things that add up. The other part of my higher than hoped for expenses I feel really relate more to the transition from full time working with good income to being an unemployed boat bum. It takes time to adjust to not having the income in your spending habits. My recommendation from this for all wannabees is whatever your yearly budget is, add at least 50% for year 1 as there is a learning curve for both the boat costs and living costs

My other word of advise is; if you have been sailing your boat a while and have been doing say a week long cruise here and there, don't get all caught up on getting boat "stuff". The forums are full of "stuff" that you "must" have. Not only do you probably not need them, if you don't have them you probably wouldn't really even miss them. On the other hand if you spend the money on the "stuff" you will most likely insist they are "needed". Instead of getting all caught up buying and installing "stuff" go cruising for a year or so and then you will know which "stuff" is worth spending the money on to you. I guarantee that for the most part "stuff" is available most places (yes I know that doesn't apply maybe to "bum fuc egypt" so save all the buts), and you can get it once you really decide it is worth spending the money.
Old 15-09-2017, 07:37   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: 1 Year Cruising Anniversary

Congratulations! And thanks so much for sharing what we all intuitively know about stuff, but still at times fall prey to.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 07:53   #3

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Congratulations on your anniversary, SB! The lessons you have learned and so generously passed along are becoming a guideline for many of us that are a year or three behind you. We're looking forward to following you as you sail into Year Two.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 08:06   #4

Nice post Sailorboy. And congrats. We are still in the "weeklong cruise here and there category"... although ours are generally 9-10 days long.

When we go full-time, I know the hardest thing for me will be weaning myself off eating out. Right now the first thing I want to do when we drop the hook in a new spot is head to shore for local food and beer... "I just sailed for 20 hours straight, I earned this good meal out!"
Old 15-09-2017, 08:16   #5

Boat: Currently in between

Congrats SB! Question, now that year 1 is out of the way are you going to continue posting expenses or do you have your answers?
Old 15-09-2017, 08:26   #6
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Congrats SB! Question, now that year 1 is out of the way are you going to continue posting expenses or do you have your answers?
I'll do month 12 next week. But then I'll think about it as it seems interest has shrunk (except for my stalker). It doesn't really take much time and gives something to do so if I can decide to weather storm I might as it helps my own planning some.
Old 15-09-2017, 08:30   #7
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
when we drop the hook in a new spot is head to shore for local food and beer... "I just sailed for 20 hours straight, I earned this good meal out!"
We have been the same, which is why even though I've got like $750 this month in marina costs we have spent less as we haven't been going out to eat as much. Continued lessons learned as to costs and behavior.
Old 15-09-2017, 08:45   #8

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Tomorrow is my 1 year anniversary of full time cruising and living on the boat...
Congrats!
Old 15-09-2017, 08:47   #9

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Congratulations. You have made the transition from dream to reality with many people here rooting for you. Personally, I enjoy your fact based posts since they are the true mile posts we can all measure against. Your sense of humor has rarely failed in the face of some (IMO) rude judgements of your choices.

You just sat there reporting the facts.

Wishing you all good things in year 2!
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 09:06   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Grats on the anniversary.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 09:27   #11

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Congratulations - and thanks for the timely reminder re: "stuff". With 11 months and 15 days to go, we are repeatedly asking ourselves whether a desired item is "stuff" or something we truly need.

Where do you think you might go for year two?
Old 15-09-2017, 10:06   #12

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

SB, attaboy. You know, many of us here who owe a debt to you for your learning curve. It has helped me balance my expectations. I am rebuilding a Sharpie so already deeply immersed in the cost. Here is what you have helped me with personally...

1. I vacationed at a resort in the Bahamas. It was fabulous. You remarked how you were always trying to find a place to hide from the wind...uncomfortable anchorages. I always think soft sand, cool breeze in the evening, and gorgeous waterscapes, magical sunsets.

2. How to use the boat dollar. Don't buy so many systems that aren't necessary really. I believe you have it right when you say cruise for an extended amount of time before you buy.

3. Going from a saver to a spender in with income restrictions. It is serious thing.

Best of luck to you and keep posting up. A stalker ...means they are so jealous of your success....ha ha
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 10:06   #13

Boat: Rafiki 37

Congrats Don. I guess this makes you a “real” cruiser now .

Will be interesting to follow your journey next season. Maybe you’ll come north to Newfoundland where the water is clear, the people are friendly, the anchorages are mostly empty, and the living is pretty cheap (except for booze).
Old 15-09-2017, 10:41   #14
CLOD

[QUOTE=Cthoops

Where do you think you might go for year two?[/QUOTE]

Planning west coast Florida and the gulf as I want as I want to go to Mardi Gras
Old 15-09-2017, 11:48   #15

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Please keep the posts coming. Its refreshing to get "Facts Only" here.
Also educational and at times Enlightening.

Looking forward to year two lessons learned.

Congrats on year one.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising