Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2017, 17:33   #1

Boat: Nordic 44
Where to anchor or moor near Mystic Seaport Museum

I want to visit the museum by boat, a 6' draft 44' sloop. I have looked at Active Captain, the Waterway Guide and the charts. The water is pretty thin and there are no moorings nearby so anchoring is the last option. With my draft those are very limited. Or, is there a place somewhere in the vicinity that would allow an uber ride to the museum after anchoring and taking the dinghy ashore. I hate to dock at the rates I see. I may have overlooked a solution and your suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 18:45   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Where to anchor or moor near Mystic Seaport Museum

We anchored in Stonington and shared a cab over to Mystic.
Old 18-07-2017, 19:11   #3

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38
Where to anchor or moor near Mystic Seaport Museum

We may have stayed at brewer yacht yard, just before the bridge. Then it was close enough to town and a 30 min walk to mystic seaport. It was a while ago, I don't remember all the details. Yes, we docked and paid the high fees - figured it was one of those nights. The approach channel was about 2.5 NM, long and narrow and winding (navionics on iPhone is useful to plan and measure this kind of stuff), but deep enough at 6' draft.
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 20:06   #4

You can go to the museum docks and your slip fee covers the museum admission. Plus you have access to the museum grounds after closing hours. It's a fun experience and we've done it a couple times with our kids but it was a few years ago. I recall that reservations are required so call in advance. And pay attention to the bridge opening schedules. Noank must have moorings and there might be taxi options. Best lobster rolls at Abbots there. Good luck.
Bermuda Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 05:58   #5

Boat: Bristol 29.9

How about anchoring or getting a mooring in Noank? You could take your dinghy up the river to the public dinghy dock and walk to the museum from there. We picked up a transient mooring at Noank Village Boatyard a few weeks ago, and it was about a 15 minute dinghy ride to the dinghy dock in Mystic with a 2.3 hp outboard.
Old 19-07-2017, 08:38   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Voyagemaker

Look into becoming a member of the Seaport. It may have changed since I was a member years ago but as a member you could tie up at their dock (fee) explore the Seaport after it closed and in addition be invited to their members' day barbecue. Great fun and wonderful experience especially if you sail from a reasonable distance away.
sailalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 09:11   #7

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailalong View Post
Look into becoming a member of the Seaport. It may have changed since I was a member years ago but as a member you could tie up at their dock (fee) explore the Seaport after it closed and in addition be invited to their members' day barbecue. Great fun and wonderful experience especially if you sail from a reasonable distance away.
+1
We did this three or four years ago and even got a private tour of the Charles W Morgan when they were restoring her.

Good restaurants with in walking distance.
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 07:56   #8

Boat: Meridian 40' Sedan

Last summer we stayed on their wall but had to move as other reservation were due in. I went up the river to the last bouy and just before the cemetery and over to the right. Have fun.
lsearite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 02:58   #9

Boat: Nordic 44

Thanks all. I took the Stonington advice. It worked fine. They have a designated anchor area about 200 yards past the second seawall. Straight across the harbor towards the restaurant and on its east side is a dinghy dock. Uber met us at Cannon Square a short walk from there. $12 ride. Also if your looking for grocery Try McQuades (sp?) which is a mile from the museum. Also a good cafeteria inside. Altogether very easy.
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor