Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2019, 01:01   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 MkII
When to leave San Francisco

Hello,
Are the conditions best outside of the Golden Gate Bridge on an ebb or flood? I am planning on sailing just outside of the bridge one of these upcoming weekends and have heard some horrible stories due to going out at the wrong time, creating high breaking waves.

Thank you in advance
Teebeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 03:43   #2

Re: When to leave San Francisco

If there is high wind coming in the gate and the tides leave then you will have rough seas. This is the same in the entire area but it is more severe outside / near the bridge. So try to pick a slack time.

Also be aware of the marine layer. It tends to build quickly there. This isn’t that fun considering it is also a busy shopping lane.

It’s all very close so if it gets rough then turn around.
rtoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 05:58   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42

While it has been many year since we moved from the City the geography and conditions haven't changed. The best time to leave through the Gate is in the early morning at high water slack. Not much current under the bridge and the prevailing north westerly winds will be down (usually). The best time to return is in the morning or early afternoon on a flood. In the early afternoon the westerly winds will usually be stronger but will not have reached their max--later when the interior/Valley gets hot--and will tend to knock-down the wave action with the flood tide heading in the same general direction (easterly). Stay to the side of the inbound channel but as far away from the bridge abutments as possible due to the counter currents that swirl around them on a flood (and the shoals that develop waves). We have come and gone through the Gate and, at times, it can be really "exciting" and I don't see the need of the exercise for "entertainment/recreation". Note that you might also want to contact the SF VTS on 14 to make them aware of your presence if you're not transmitting an AIS signal.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 08:13   #4

Boat: Freedom 38

Maybe one thing a lot of people forget about is how the winter rains change the expected currents. There are huge freshwater flows right now that make handling a boat a little squirrelly in the bay. So waiting until after the rainy season and maybe even after the melt will help normalize what's been said above because there might not be much slack following low tide. However, given some of the low wind days we can get during the winter, and if sea state is relatively calm offshore, an ebb current during a high freshwater flow could create a really fast ride! Or a really painful slog coming back in...

Some of those horror stories might be from those who didn't check what the sea state was going to be that day. Always check NOAA's marine forecast for near coastal wind and wave height.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 10:58   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

The San Francisco Bar
https://coastsidefishingclub.com/gre...francisco-bar/
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 11:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Maybe one thing a lot of people forget about is how the winter rains change the expected currents. There are huge freshwater flows right now that make handling a boat a little squirrelly in the bay. So waiting until after the rainy season and maybe even after the melt will help normalize what's been said above because there might not be much slack following low tide. However, given some of the low wind days we can get during the winter, and if sea state is relatively calm offshore, an ebb current during a high freshwater flow could create a really fast ride! Or a really painful slog coming back in...

Some of those horror stories might be from those who didn't check what the sea state was going to be that day. Always check NOAA's marine forecast for near coastal wind and wave height.
Gamayun is spot on, the tide and current tables are to model and not adjusted for rain/sierra snowmelt. We have had record rain and snow in February this year (great for skiing) so expect the ebbs to be stronger and the floods weaker than forecast...
comesatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 11:56   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

When to leave San Francisco?

At least 20 years ago.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 12:25   #8

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge

Watch the fishing boats to see how they are negotiating the tricky currents of SF Bay. Seriously, they know the currents well. There can be an ebb heading straight out the middle of the gate, meanwhile a flood developing right along the city front, and this doesn't show well on the tide/current tables.

Pick up one of the little tide table books, they are pretty accurate. You have to adjust for your location and as was pointed out, river flows. The ebb, out the gate, will start early and be stronger, the flood late and maybe a little weaker from fresh water.

Just outside the gate are two areas which are feared, the South Tower Monster, and the Potato Patch. Don't ever go between the Gate's south tower and Ft Point, seriously, they surf that area sometimes. Potato Patch is outside the gate on the Marin side. It can hump up like any bar during strong ebb tides and opposing winds. Talk to the fishermen before attempting that area.

Finally, wintertime is a lovely time to sail the bay, but it is unpredictable. I came in after a sweet sail on the bay and talked to a visiting skipper. He said they surfed in on 20' waves coming in, I thought he was pulling my leg.

There is a legend of the "standing" waves off Alcatraz Island. I never believed in them, sailed there hundreds of times. Until, I was sailing with a buddy in an epic ebb tide and rode through them - sideways -, not dangerous but really interesting, like a river's rapids. Again, talk to the professional fishermen, if they still exist in SF because they have seen it all, it is a world class place to sail.
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 09:10   #9

Boat: Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post

At least 20 years ago.

Amen Brother or Sister! The city is a above ground sewer at the moment.
rmesfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 10:03   #10

Boat: Alerion Express 28

High breaking waves are due to a westerly blowing against an ebb and in the winter the ebbs tend to be stronger than forecast because of the run off. I would delay your adventure until the Spring (just around the corner) and trying going out at slack.

However, be aware that there is always some current somewhere around the Gate. If you look at a tidebook (they give them away at harbor offices) the back pages diagram the currents by the hour. You will see the arrows going in different directions, e.g., the flood starting near the shore while there is a late ebb in the middle. The other cautions already mentioned: Potato patch (aka 4 fathom shoal) and the South Tower. PFD and harness advisable.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 10:53   #11

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post

At least 20 years ago.
Good one senormechanico! And spot on!

As a 6th generation San Franciscan whose family came to SF during the 49'er gold rush era, man has that place changed. Heck, it's nickname was The Barbary Coast and it was a rough and tumble place. Now... it's the Cupcake Coast. I like to tell people that I am "from" SF, as in "I ain't a goin back". Makes my heart sad to see what has happened and is happening there in my old home town.

And svHyLyte and Gamayun gave you spot on correct info. If you can sail The Bay on "oh crap" days, you can sail anywhere.

And belated congrats Gamayun on your solo sail to Hawaii last year! Well done!!!
Old 28-02-2019, 11:29   #12

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

After the big one all this will change.
Old 28-02-2019, 11:31   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The area to the south of the Gate is the area for concern. The shallows extend well out to sea and if there is even a moderate swell running you can experience breaking waves well offshore. I've sailed through that area 4 times without incidence but nearly got rolled by a succession of breaking waves the last time heading south in what I thought was well offshore. Stay in or close to the ship channel and you should be safe though maybe not comfortable.

The City ain't what it used to be but then it hasn't been what it used to be for nearly a half century. Swore off the city several decades ago after getting our car broken into every time we went there. Now it just stinks. The rest of the Bay Area still has something to offer and the Bay is the best sailing on the West Coast.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 12:44   #14

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Sailfish View Post
Good one senormechanico! And spot on!

As a 6th generation San Franciscan whose family came to SF during the 49'er gold rush era, man has that place changed. Heck, it's nickname was The Barbary Coast and it was a rough and tumble place. Now... it's the Cupcake Coast. I like to tell people that I am "from" SF, as in "I ain't a goin back". Makes my heart sad to see what has happened and is happening there in my old home town.

San Francisco is my home town as well.
My parents moved to Washington State when I was two years old.
I've said basically the same thing as you whenever my birthplace is mentioned !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 13:05   #15

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge

SF Bay is world class sailing, and they have even cleaned up the water. Now the city itself is another matter, but that has been discussed elsewhere.

It is like SF is turning it's back on its rich nautical heritage. Back in the 30's SF owned the marine trades. The steamship lines based in SF ruled the seas. The plus side is you have the bay to sail for yourself. Last time I sailed the bay, it was a perfect day and we had the bay to ourselves. Do an aerial on google maps aver the SF Marina and note how many slips are empty. Years ago there was a 10 year wait for a 25 foot berth, now there are only four 25 foot berths in the Marina's west harbor.
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san francisco