Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 06:27   #1

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"
Western Florida Anchorages

I am looking for Anchorages on the Gulf Coast. Any information would be appreciated. I did find this web site but not sure how up to date it is.
Florida Sea Grant - Boating & Waterways - Anchorage Inventory
Thanks,
Janice
s/v Sailacious a Tayana 37 with a 5'8" draft.
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:50   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Janice, Those anchorages are still pretty good. Also have a look at our website and you will find info on our trip from Florida to Houston, start at "Welcome Home", covers that area and our recent return trip from Houston to Florida. You may also want to get Claiborne Young's guide for that area.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:04   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Janice--

There are too many anchorages on Florida's west coast from St. Pete to the Keys to list. It would be better to indicate where you are interested in going so that people could refer to locations along the way that might be useful to you.

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:25   #4

I should have narrowed it down. I am looking for an overnight anchorage forweekend trips, so anything a good days sail from St Petersburg in either direction. Tarpon Springs to Venice would be a good start.
Janice
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:06   #5

Boat: Alura 30
From the gulf,you come in Longboat pass south of Anna Maria Island.you go around Jew fish key,and go anchor in front of the Mar vista restaurant.very nice anchorage,can get real busy in the winter time. Egmont key at the mouth of Tampa bay is also nice althought the birds will keep you awake all night. Venice Inlet also has some good anchorage. Have fun.
JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:21   #6

Boat: R&C, Leopard Catermaran, 47', Rapture
Chuck,

I was on your website looking at Florida and noticed you stay in the ICW. I do not have this option since my mast is 73' but why don't you follow the shoreline in the Gulf instead? You sail longer and further than I so I am curious.
shawnbush12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 13:29   #7

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
We like cruising the ICW and visiting interesting places. In addition the weather has been really lousy this trip so anchoring at the end of the day beats motoring outside in thunderstorms day after day. Following the shoreline along the Gulf means at time miles offshore to avoid shallow water with no available inlets for long distances. If we could sail that would be different but the wind has just NOT been there.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 14:03   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 42
An enjoyable trip would be south under the Skyway Bridge and then into the Manatee River. There are several good anchorages near the mouth of the River, at Desoto Point on the south side and across, along the north side of the River (which we prefer). One can also sail up-river to the Green Street Bridge area where there is a nice anchorage across from the Twin Dolphins marina. There is a very nice restaurant at Twin Dolphins and a a great cafe--The Riverside Cafe--on the north side of the River at the Regatta Point marina. If you want to "Rough It", there's several good anchorages in Terra Cia Bay, which is just north of the entrance to the Manatee River (head east from Marker # 70 to Marker TC and then follow the markers religiously from there out as it does get shallow real quick outside of the channel.

You can also head north from St. Pete to the old Sea Plane basin on the south side of David Island or head somewhat further up the west channel there to a public marina on the east side of Davis Island about mid-way up; or, all the way up to the basin near the convention center.

In the lower Bay, one can anchor on the east side of Egmont--depending upon the weather and we have also anchored on the east side of Anna Maria Island, just south of the fishing pier although the tidale currents run strongly through there so you need to ensure you've got your anchor well set.

The previously mentioned anchorage between Jewfish Key and Longboat Key is pretty good but the approach can be tough as the shoal on the south side of Jewfish has really built up. Also, if I were going there I would not go out the southwest channel only to have to come back through the Longboat Key Channel and the bridge. That approach is narrow and frequently loaded with power boaters that have little knowledge of, or care for, rules of the road. Moreover, the current through that cut can be quite strong unless one hits it at or near slack water. I'd suggest the ICW from the lower bay. The water's not bad and the two bridges--at Anna Maria and Cortez--open every 30 minutes on the hour.

If you have not done so, I suggest you consider joining one of the local yacht clubs which will allow you to visit many areas very inexpensively as one's first night at reciprocating clubs is free--except for power--and most have good facilities. Normally food and drink are less costly at YC's as well.

Good Luck!

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 13:26   #9

Thanks

Thank you for all your input!

Tags
anchor, anchorages, florida