Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2011, 13:05   #1

Boat: 2007 Hunter 49
We Have Returned to Patagonia

After a relaxing four-month break back in Vancouver while winter happened in southern Chile, we have returned to Sequitur in Puerto Montt. We are now preparing her for a two or three months meander down through the Patagonian channels to Tierra del Fuego, where we intend turning left and heading toward Cape Town. Sources of supplies are extremely sparse from here southward, so we're stocking-up here for four months.

Our latest blog post is more related to things back home and to family, than it is with boating; however, our regular boating posts will resume very shortly as we get fully into cruising again.
sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 13:24   #2

Re: We Have Returned to Patagonia

You're still going to maintain your SailBlogs site? Have been following your travels for a couple of years now, interesting reading. Cruising with a food/wine slant, can't beat that!
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 13:48   #3

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Welcome to the Forum Sequitur.
Sounds like a really interesting voyage. I'll be taking a look at your blog and following your progress.
As it happens, I went to a boarding school at the base of the Hottentots Holland mountain range, about 30 miles east of Cape Town.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 15:43   #4
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

wow nice journey!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 15:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe71 View Post
You're still going to maintain your SailBlogs site? Have been following your travels for a couple of years now, interesting reading. Cruising with a food/wine slant, can't beat that!
Yes, certainly the blog continues... there is a link to the latest blog post in my original post above, or here: Blog Link
Old 31-10-2011, 16:12   #6

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

I have followed your blog for a while and only last weekend noticed you were back on board.

Enjoy your food and wine feasts.

I hope Awoplast have sorted your electrical/engineering installations for the long term. Some time back the Fisher Panda gen set interested me with their specs but researching blogs on the net there aren't too many happy with their durability and your experience even though part of the ploblem was installation has pushed me in another direction for genset.

Have a great and safe cruise in Patagonia.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 19:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
I hope Awoplast have sorted your electrical/engineering installations for the long term. Some time back the Fisher Panda gen set interested me with their specs but researching blogs on the net there aren't too many happy with their durability and your experience even though part of the ploblem was installation has pushed me in another direction for genset.
We certainly hope the problems arising from our fit-out in Vancouver are now behind us. I had meetings with the owner of the fit-out yard last month, and he tried repeatedly, but unsuccessfully to pass me off to his sub-contractors. Although I left the final meeting thinking that some resolution might yet come for the heavy wear-and-tear on my wallet, it is difficult to rekindle our trust in anything that they touched on Sequitur, and it is impossible to replace the many lost months waiting for repairs to their installations.
Old 31-10-2011, 19:33   #8

Wow, Congratulations on making this happen and I am jealous. I would love to see the fjords from a sailboat.
Several years ago I boarded a delivery vessel as a passenger and made the same trip, from Puerto Monte south, hiked in Torres del Paine, stopped at little outposts along the way to drop off goods, and ended up in Punta Arenes. Windy, rugged and beautiful.
Here's what I remember: In the park they have danger signs posted around the camp ground.....they post the wind speeds. You can get blow off of a cliff it's so windy down there, and one sign posted 50mph!! Little people beware.
So sailing should be a breeze. Damn, it's windy down there and should be an adventure of a lifetime.
YADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 20:25   #9

Boat: Oyster 53

Michael,
I enjoyed your website and your blog. You gave some very thoughtful reasons for your choice of boat which, I'll admit, caused a raised eyebrow when I saw your cruising grounds! I have subscribed to your updates and will follow your adventures.
One question from an uneducated (but enthusiastic) wine fan - have you found any Chilean wines worth drinking? I keep searching, and it is a happy search, but I haven't found much worth a second bottle.
Cheers.
Dhillen
Old 31-10-2011, 21:27   #10

You go back and earthquake happen what are you doing LOL

Keep sailing we need something to keep busy during winter.
SvLetitgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by YADO View Post
..they post the wind speeds. You can get blow off of a cliff it's so windy down there, and one sign posted 50mph!! Little people beware.
We're heavy enough to stay grounded. As for the boat, we have three 80-metre stern ties and two 100-metre bow ties to help keep us in place in the windy anchorages. Also, we'll try to remember to anchor only where there are leaves on the trees.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillen View Post
Michael,
One question from an uneducated (but enthusiastic) wine fan - have you found any Chilean wines worth drinking? I keep searching, and it is a happy search, but I haven't found much worth a second bottle.
Cheers.
Dhillen
We have found many very drinkable Chilean wines in the $3.50 to $4.00 range. Our cheap boat red is a Carmen Classic Merlot at $3.65. Our cheap white is 2010 Santa Rita 120 at $3.75. Our mid-scale boat red is 2010 Aurocano Humo Blanco Lolol Pinot Noir, which drinks like a Premier Cru Burgogne for about $15. Our mid-scale white is the 2010 Montes Leyda Sauvignon Blanc, a wonderfully crisp Sancerre-style at around $14. From this price point upwards, there are so many superb world-class wines that Sequitur's cellars are bulging.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:03   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvLetitgo View Post
You go back and earthquake happen what are you doing LOL

Keep sailing we need something to keep busy during winter.
L&V... Hope all is well with you, and with the children. It was nice spending a bit of time with you when we were in Vancouver.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:08   #14

Boat: Beneteau 393

We are jealous! I would love to cruise this amazing area. We loved our time in Patagonia. Heck, we even named our boat after it! :P
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 22:00   #15

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Good on you, Sequitur! You are in an excellent area of the world in terms of natural beauty and friendly locals. The wine and pisco -WOW!!

I was born in Oz but have spent about 15 of the last 20 years in Chile, many of them south of Coyhaique. Love the place! My sweet other half is from La Serena, but disagrees with my desire to sail to Punta Arenas due to the temp of the Humboldt and the lack of tropical islands (!!!). It seems that Rapa Nui will be a suitable compromise for 2013.

Buena suerte!!

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote