Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2011, 14:53   #16

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Want to go around the world? Watch this:

We are skedded to cast off when our son is 11. His first boat ride was at five days of age:

Life was easy then, because newborns can be confined with a blanket and a couple of lashings. We didn't have a suitable cruising boat, nor did we have a plan to cruise. Nonetheless, our son got plenty of practice climbing the companionway steps and walking on the high side. To this day, he must wear a PFD on deck. No exceptions.

The worst part didn't last long. It was between about 18 months and 2 1/2 years, when he wanted to move around and didn't really listen to orders. A lanyard and a shackle took care of that. He could move only so far on deck. On warm days, I would take him in PFD off the side of the boat. Eventually, he understood that falling off underway is different from falling off at dock or anchor.

Lots of people take kids. From my view, money, time and family commitments have moved our departure a couple of times, but in a way, I can see that waiting until he's 11 will be better in an absolute sense because he'll a) remember more, b) know more c) take the occasional half-watch and d) he's past all the basics in school in math, reading, and so on. School aboard will be less of a challenge to his teachers...us...if he is already used to a measure of self-study.

We also thought that not being in a North American classroom from ages 11 to 16 or 17 was a blessing, not a curse. If he's going to be a mopey teen, let it be in a tropical lagoon. Besides, perhaps his life will be interesting enough to dodge mopey and go straight to man.

Under fives are tricky aboard, sure, but I think the time I would want them ashore is from five to ten, where a lot of the basic socialization happens. Then I like ten to 15 for cruising. After 15, they are well into their own lives and might not appreciate leaving their friends, no matter what the adventure.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 15:58   #17

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Looks like a better education that sitting in a room memorizing from books for 7 hours a day and then sitting in a house memorizing commercial slogans and video games for the next 7.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 18:09   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

That's what I call a messy video without a storyline.

I am sure the adventure was great though! And the kids look happy. Thumbs up!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 00:11   #19

Seeing the reactions here, is education so bad in the USA now? If how see how well my kids and how they are developing, (ie.speaking 5 languages) I am so glad I gave them this head start. As I said, it is our (the parents) dream to cruise.
But, again, everybody should do what they feel best.
rocma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 03:30   #20

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

It looks like those kids are just reaching school age at the end of the trip. So if they missed school, it wasn't much. Now I just wonder how they'll adjust to life on land after spending their entire lives afloat.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 06:58   #21

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcruiser View Post
Seeing the reactions here, is education so bad in the USA now? If how see how well my kids and how they are developing, (ie.speaking 5 languages) I am so glad I gave them this head start. As I said, it is our (the parents) dream to cruise.
But, again, everybody should do what they feel best.
Having 5 tools is a good start but what I think counts even more is the happy and adventurous childhood that may give them a basis towards enjoying the world no matter what life throws at them.

I had a happy childhood that I would not swap for any sort of education. I do not speak French (yet) sure, but I say hey so what, while my well educated friends over-worry everything and get depressed.

I say give your kids love and happy childhood and the rest will (mostly) take care of itself.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 07:31   #22

Boat: Tartan 30 & Columbia 26

Quote:
... is education so bad in the USA now?
Ummm ... yes.

The USA is a land of political correctness. "No child left behind" is the mantra of our education system. Can't hurt little Buford's feelings by holding him back, so we dumb down the whole class to his level.

... but I digress. Those adorable girls in the video will undoubtedly grow up to be well adjusted, happy, intellegent, confident adults. I can't imagine a better experience for those formulative years when their brains are little sponges soaking up everything around them. Bravo to those parents!
wristwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 11:48   #23

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Yes, they no longer teach our children to think. They teach to the next test. Sit in line, memorize, and pass the next test. Don't ask any difficult questions, just be quiet and pass the test.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 12:57   #24

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Why Spiritbear? THat is nonsense.
We nearly left with our kids when they were 7 and 8, but decided not to as we felt it was asocial to our kids, to live OUR dream and keep them away from a proper schooling, stable environment and friends. But, it is a choice every parent has to make for themselves. I am not judging anyone who does, it is merely my personal view and opinion.

So, now they´re 17 and 18 and they know we cast of when they are 20 and 21. Plan is made, everybody is cool with it.

What´s your point?
Lately it seems kids in America are growing up with the worst social skills I have ever seen . Thanks to Twitter, Facebook, Texting, and Hanna Montanna
Awesome Video, wish it was longer
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 16:03   #25

Boat: In Between Boats
Awesome video!
Hearts Content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 21:57   #26

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Re: Want to Go Around the World ? Watch this . . .

Our two girls were 1 and 6 when we left for 10 years, best thing we ever did for them. Little to zero formal schooling and they were both ahead of their peer group on return (and waaaay ahead in so many other ways).

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:42   #27

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
Our two girls were 1 and 6 when we left for 10 years, best thing we ever did for them. Little to zero formal schooling and they were both ahead of their peer group on return (and waaaay ahead in so many other ways).

That's gotta be about the most fulfilling thing in the whole world.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:11   #28

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
That's what I call a messy video without a storyline.

I am sure the adventure was great though! And the kids look happy. Thumbs up!

b.
I dissagree, I thought is was great. They showed exactly what their trip was in 60 seconds. Thankfully only 2 seconds of dolphin footage. ( I am sick of looking sailing vids with nothing but dolphins lol)

Its obviously a montage of a longer vid. Which hopefully they will post.

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:17   #29

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

Great video. Wish it was about an hour longer though.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:54   #30
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom

Great video!
I'm a cruising kid myself, I spent most of my childhood on board my parents cat, now I take my own kids out cruising, there might be less kids doing it now than when I was a kid, but I find they are far better adjusted kids, the understand there is more to life than games, fashion and popularity.

Most cruising kids also get a far better education than one from a mainstream school, by actually getting out there to see the world rather than just read about it in a book.
My parents educated me, I went to university, did very well at it, now I am educating my kids, when their time comes to leave me I have no doubt they will do great in the world. If my daughter was stuck in a mainstream school all the time I am sure she would be struggling, but she isn't as I can spend all the time she needs helping her.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote