Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2014, 04:31   #1

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3
Update for " couple in 20's 2 year circumnavigation...we need advise"

Hi all,

Just wanted to give an update on here to you all that gave me some great advise on our plans for a two year trip....

Well after some time has gone by my wife and I have decided to set sail in November as planned, but instead of trying to keep a schedule and make it here and there to just sail the Caribbean for the winter to start.

If we want to move on great, if not we'll hang around.

After doing much research, we have realized that their is so so much to see in the Caribbean that we could literally spend years there and not see the same thing twice.

Also I discussed possibly selling everything and liquidating it all. On that front, we decided to hold onto our properties and keep having cash flow every month.

We were able to refi the one property I have been working on (3 apt, one commercial) and pull out 70% at 4.75 percent which will still give us a nice bank to purchase our boat while still having cash flow.

I guess this winter has been really bad up here.. (Those in the north east US will know what I'm talking about) it makes you want to fly south and forget it all. But after really thinking about it, it simply wouldn't be wise to walk away from all we've worked for.

But, we have our goals this summer!!!

My plan is to flip two houses this summer in the fishtown area of Philly to increase our bank before departure, and I am training my younger brother the ins and outs of my company so he can take it over once I leave. It would be silly to close up shop on a successful venture.

And as you all said many times.... We might get down there and cruise for a season and really miss home (doubtful) and want to return, so we're gonna be safe and have something to back to.

And as for our dog "bear" we ares still on the ropes about bringing her. We still feel when the time comes the answer will make it self apparent.

Thanks for all your advise and I will be giving updates on our boat hunt soon

PS

There is a blue 2006 beneteau 473 in Miami for sale that I'm going to fly down and see in two weeks. Any beneteau 473 owners out there wanna check in and give me some thoughts?

We keep coming back to the 473 because the layout works so well for us and our lifestyle.

As always opinions are appreciated!!!

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 05:10   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Update for " couple in 20's 2 year circumnavigation...we need advise"

ever thought of the med???? there is great boat here that did a circum nav and for sail fairly cheap and in incredible condition -- pm me on why it is for sale

see catamadam.com
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 05:33   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

473s are excellent.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 13:15   #4

Boat: Niagara 35

You guys have made a lot of really good decisions. Sounds like you're absolutely on the right track and taking things at a pace that makes a lot of sense. You'll have a great time.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 13:20   #5

Wife and I took a look at a 473 a year ago. Man we're we blown away at the quality and layout

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 13:48   #6

Boat: Catalina 310

My question is why so big?

You started off looking at the Benny 373 with a total budget of $200-250K. Has something changed?

Admittedly I am a go small kind of guy because I want to make my cruising funds last longer. All in all it sounds like you have a good plan. Between the Bahamas, Caribbean and South America there is so much to do in that area. Then you could always do the Panama and hangout in Mexico for a while.

Given you revised plan, I say take the dog. There are plenty of people doing that type of cruise with dogs. Other than Jamaica I don't know of any real problem areas. Still researching it ourselves.

Good luck and fair winds,

Jesse
Old 24-03-2014, 17:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
My question is why so big?

You started off looking at the Benny 373 with a total budget of $200-250K. Has something changed?

Admittedly I am a go small kind of guy because I want to make my cruising funds last longer. All in all it sounds like you have a good plan. Between the Bahamas, Caribbean and South America there is so much to do in that area. Then you could always do the Panama and hangout in Mexico for a while.

Given you revised plan, I say take the dog. There are plenty of people doing that type of cruise with dogs. Other than Jamaica I don't know of any real problem areas. Still researching it ourselves.

Good luck and fair winds,

Jesse

Hi jk

The 373 in the original post was actually a typo we were always looking for a 45ft + boat.

Thanks for the well wishes with the dog. I fell the same. It seems Jamaica is the only red tape burdened place.

Happy sails

-Jedi master Yoda
Old 25-03-2014, 00:26   #8

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
Hi jk

The 373 in the original post was actually a typo we were always looking for a 45ft + boat.

Thanks for the well wishes with the dog. I fell the same. It seems Jamaica is the only red tape burdened place.

Happy sails

Ahh makes a more sense now.

Have you ever owned a boat? The reason I ask is because the maintenance on a 47 foot boat will be a lot of work. Even just dropping down to a 40 foot boat would save a lot of work.

We charted a 43 foot Jenny with another couple and we all thought the boat was huge. But for all the extra length the cockpit was smaller in layout and neither head was really better than what we have on our 30 foot boats. Just seems like a lot of boat.

With your budget I would personally look for a 35-40 foot boat in a 2 cabin layout. The main sleeping cabin would have to have a queen, center line berth. Possibly a dual helm the longer the boat got. A separate shower stall would be nice. I know Benny, Jenny and Catalina all make models that would fit this and would be good enough sailboats to take you anywhere.

Just some thoughts.

Good luck,

Jesse
Old 25-03-2014, 02:41   #9

Hi,

Good to hear you listened to advice given here.

47 feet is too big for your first boat. 42 to 44 feet is what I consider to perfect size, handles well in a big blow but not so hard to raise/lower/reef sails, easier manouving in marinas, cheaper to buy and maintain.

One mistake I have seen cashed up rookies make is buying a deep keel boat thinking it will be faster/safer/stable and then finding out they don't fit in many marinas and they don't fit into some anchorages or you have to anchor far out exposed to swells/wind and facing a long wet dinghy ride into the beach. For cruising I wouldn't want to draw more than 1.8 metres especially in the Carib.

Leave the mutt with your brother.

Enjoy
giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 15:55   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant View Post
Hi,

Good to hear you listened to advice given here.

47 feet is too big for your first boat. 42 to 44 feet is what I consider to perfect size, handles well in a big blow but not so hard to raise/lower/reef sails, easier manouving in marinas, cheaper to buy and maintain.

One mistake I have seen cashed up rookies make is buying a deep keel boat thinking it will be faster/safer/stable and then finding out they don't fit in many marinas and they don't fit into some anchorages or you have to anchor far out exposed to swells/wind and facing a long wet dinghy ride into the beach. For cruising I wouldn't want to draw more than 1.8 metres especially in the Carib.

Leave the mutt with your brother.

Enjoy

Thanks giant good points

Other then the mutt thing

-Jedi master Yoda
Old 06-04-2014, 14:21   #11

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Aspen

About the dog. Sure you can take it but there will be LOTS of problems taking the dog to the Caribbean.

In Trinidad the dog is not allowed onshore, period. You can keep the dog onboard your boat but just don't let it put one foot on land. You will lose your dog.

Dominica - I would not take one ashore. You can try to bring the dog onshore in Dominica but the local dogs will probably have a feast and you would not want that.

The rules for dogs are very strict in the Caribbean, except for the French Islands. Visits to Vets, inspections, and fees are required on all the islands, except for the French Islands of course.

There are boats with dogs down here but the trouble, expense and problems for the pets are just not worth it, IMHO. The pets really suffer too. Confining them to a small space (a boat), relying on you to get them off in a dinghy for any exercise, the heat, possibility for tropical diseases, and unhealthy situations on shore are just not favorable for pets.

I would suggest you keep your dog safe by leaving it and sailing without it.
SVAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 14:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAspen View Post
About the dog. Sure you can take it but there will be LOTS of problems taking the dog to the Caribbean.

In Trinidad the dog is not allowed onshore, period. You can keep the dog onboard your boat but just don't let it put one foot on land. You will lose your dog.

Dominica - I would not take one ashore. You can try to bring the dog onshore in Dominica but the local dogs will probably have a feast and you would not want that.

The rules for dogs are very strict in the Caribbean, except for the French Islands. Visits to Vets, inspections, and fees are required on all the islands, except for the French Islands of course.

There are boats with dogs down here but the trouble, expense and problems for the pets are just not worth it, IMHO. The pets really suffer too. Confining them to a small space (a boat), relying on you to get them off in a dinghy for any exercise, the heat, possibility for tropical diseases, and unhealthy situations on shore are just not favorable for pets.

I would suggest you keep your dog safe by leaving it and sailing without it.

Thanks for your thoughts svaspen,

My wife and I are definitely in agreement with you. As we have said in previous posts, we are not 100% sure about the dog thing. We think that the closer departure date gets we will make the final decision then, I have a long list of boats that I'm going to be seeing in Miami and then after thank in the next couple months. Each one is different size and is vastly different.
We are actually considering getting a steel boat now. The benefits of the durability are very attractive to us.... So much to consider its kinda overwhelming

-Jedi master Yoda
Old 03-05-2014, 13:50   #13

Take the dog. Your caution with the dog on board will prove beneficial to yourself as well.

You're not alone. Property ownership with fees taxes fees more fees permits more fees. It's ridiculous.

Talk about a boat is a hole in the water to pour money into. House is a bank you pour money into. A community you support.

At age 70 I don't want to be in the village that raises somebody else's kid.

Join a Club with reciprocity privileges all over the world. Never B without a gin Rickey.
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1944 View Post
Take the dog. Your caution with the dog on board will prove beneficial to yourself as well.

You're not alone. Property ownership with fees taxes fees more fees permits more fees. It's ridiculous.

Talk about a boat is a hole in the water to pour money into. House is a bank you pour money into. A community you support.

At age 70 I don't want to be in the village that raises somebody else's kid.

Join a Club with reciprocity privileges all over the world. Never B without a gin Rickey.

I like your style sir.

Good advise thanks!!!

Also I think we have settled on the boat we are going to buy. We really like this grand soleil 46.3

I think we're set!

-Jedi master Yoda
Old 05-05-2014, 06:36   #15

Boat: Skookum 53'

Congratulations on your quest. As far as the dog goes, it depends on how you feel about the dog, if he/she is part of the family then the red tape is problematical and can be overcome. Smoke is part of the family (see my avatar) and he goes where I go and that is the last word for me, if he is not allowed then I don't go. Most places accept a vet's clean bill of health and current shot records. True some places are more sticky about it than others, leave the dog aboard for that.

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation