Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-10-2014, 14:22   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Under a Year Until We Go Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. Great to hear from others in the final push to get ready to go. Even better to hear from those who have gone.
We're in a funny place I suppose. We're going ... in stages. True to my signature, we never do anything fast. So it is with our "leaving." We officially began our move to full-time cruising this past summer when we sailed the boat from the western shores of Lake Superior to the eastern end of Lake Ontario. After approx. 1500 nm of meandering travel, over 80 days on the boat, and three engine break-downs, we are now back on land for at least one more Canadian winter.

We will move back on the boat in April or May, and carry on down the St. Lawrence. If I can get my spouse to become gainfully unemployed, we will likely not return Thunder Bay, although we may chose to winter in Mexico on the motorcycles ... or some such craziness.

So I feel we are somewhere in limbo, going slow -- but in a good way.

Old 21-10-2014, 14:51   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm jealous! Have fun.
PS: Don't confuse refitting the boat or working on the boat with "Being ready". You need to sail, anchor and live on your boat a lot before you are "ready". You probably know this already....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 15:36   #18

Boat: Leopard 40

Good on ya.
I was supposed to leave September 28, 2014
Maybe I'll get out there in a year.
Old 21-10-2014, 16:54   #19

Boat: Caliber 40

We've been thru the process of moving out of a house/apartment and going cruising 2.5 times. I also have several friends who have also done it several times.

A couple observations:

- the boat is never "ready" but you still have to go!
Your list of things to do looks pretty much like my two year maintenance list while cruising. If the boat is safe, comfortable, and you can navigate OK then it is ready to go.

- when you leave your home dock the cruise, and the boat work, is just beginning.
As long as you remember it is a journey and the journey is the thing then you'll be happy.

- Closing up the shoreside life and moving out of the house will be WAY more difficult and stressful than you can ever imagine
Nothing will go right in those last three or so weeks and you will seriously doubt that you made the right decision to go. Be mentally prepared for things to go poorly, slowly, and cost a lot of money in those last stages of shore side life. Things that we experienced:
the house sale fell apart two weeks before we were to leave
the house sale came back together a week before we were to leave
the sheriff appeared to evict us the day before we were to leave
the guy that was going to buy the car never showed up
the charity (three !) who were going to take the furniture never showed up
the newspaper put our yard sale in the paper the week BEFORE we wanted
the marina we were headed too (1200 miles South) called to cancel our slip
the truck rental firm who guaranteed a truck on a given day to move our stuff to storage did not have the truck

- As soon as you are out of the house and committed to the cruise - stuff will start breaking and mis-behaving on the boat
The hot water heater on the boat blew up the night before we were to leave. We then found 20 pounds of rice, 10 of flour, lots of clothes that were ruined.
Another time we closed up the house - the ever faithful autopilot quit working 200 yards from the dock as we headed south from Tacoma for San Diego (1250 miles away)

But - it will ALL BE WORTH IT and two months after leaving home you will have forgotten all those problems
Old 21-10-2014, 18:10   #20
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

I'm currently planning to "go" next year, and I'm currently not planning to do anything more to the boat prior to leaving.
Old 21-10-2014, 18:25   #21

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

We are at just over 5400 days until we can go cruising full time

Fortunately, though, we're out there 12-16 weeks a year plus some weekends.
Old 21-10-2014, 18:30   #22

Boat: Norseman 447

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpddj View Post
Good on ya.
I was supposed to leave September 28, 2014
Maybe I'll get out there in a year.

You need to set a date and go on that date! Take whatever isn't done and go! I've seen people spend up to 9 yrs getting ready and the boat breaks down soon after leaving because everything has been sitting. Just go!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-10-2014, 21:17   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I'm jealous! Have fun.
PS: Don't confuse refitting the boat or working on the boat with "Being ready". You need to sail, anchor and live on your boat a lot before you are "ready". You probably know this already....
Yup ... I don't know what "ready" means. I can tell you we've been cruising seasonally for nearly a decade (~6 week trips per year + lots of smaller journeys). In our cruising grounds, being out there means anchoring all the time, and being away from virtually all land-based supports. We have always felt like we could easily carry on at the end of each summer.

This year was the beginning of the start of full-timing. We were on the boat for nearly 3 months (80+ days). We cruised our way through four of the five Great Lakes. It's funny, b/c I don't really know what to say about it, except that it was fine ... it was life. Sure, we had our issues to deal with. Storms were scary, forecasts were usually wrong (there's got to be a special place in hell saved for marine forecasters ). Life was mostly great.

At the end of it we both wanted to carry on; and we will, next season. We came back only because one of us is still gainfully employed. Hopefully we can correct this situation next year .
Old 22-10-2014, 02:28   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yup ... I don't know what "ready" means. I can tell you we've been cruising seasonally for nearly a decade (~6 week trips per year + lots of smaller journeys). In our cruising grounds, being out there means anchoring all the time, and being away from virtually all land-based supports. We have always felt like we could easily carry on at the end of each summer.

This year was the beginning of the start of full-timing. We were on the boat for nearly 3 months (80+ days). We cruised our way through four of the five Great Lakes. It's funny, b/c I don't really know what to say about it, except that it was fine ... it was life. Sure, we had our issues to deal with. Storms were scary, forecasts were usually wrong (there's got to be a special place in hell saved for marine forecasters ). Life was mostly great.

At the end of it we both wanted to carry on; and we will, next season. We came back only because one of us is still gainfully employed. Hopefully we can correct this situation next year .
Mike,

We depend so much on the weather forecasting, but it's often wrong, because there are too many variables for the models. It is HARD to predict accurately. And synoptic flow is just a part of the picture, but it's all most of our marine MSLs show, that and troughs and fronts.

As you gain experience, you will start to get suspicious of forecasts for the types of patterns you've seen that can get nasty fast. It will all work out.
The reason forecasts are out so much is that weather is extremely unstable, frequently, and for no good reason I can see.

Look for books with titles like "Weather for East Coast Fishermen" from Nova Scotia or Maine. They may be helpful. We once bought a "Wx for New Zealand Fishermen" book that was quite helpful.

Cheers,

Ann
Old 22-10-2014, 06:40   #25
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Congratulations for those who are in their final year before cruising! Yes its a busy year, and psychologicaly weird too. Will all yur friends rally round and spur you along? NO! No they will not help you except help you see the error of your ways and try to get you to give up your cruising life. Your family will be as negative. The will try every MEAN and nasty trick in the book to get you to stay at home.

Family don't want you to be away from them, and friends just can't understand the attraction and don't want you to be "better" than them by retiring early etc because it removes their justification of working so hard and being scared about life without "work".

We didn't tell out friends or family until 2 weeks before we left and did so by a couple of big dinner parties so everyone would get told at the same time and by the time their euphoria had dissipated to horror we would be gone... But we still copped it, and every year of cruising untill maybe the last year... But even cruisers try it on: "So you would be saling home is year?" Why the f'ing hell dont they say "where to this year?"

Guard against negativity!

Have a great year!

BTW to the longer term people see if better gosl setting can draw your multiple years closer... That 5,400 days is bull! Thats 15 years! Thats not a goal its some ethereal dream...

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 07:46   #26

It's funny, but we haven't had this kind of negativity from friends and family. Almost everyone we know well has been supportive and encouraging. What we do get are quizzical questions, mostly from more casual acquaintances, about how we can afford to do this. My spouse and I are clearly not of retirement age, so after chatting for a while you can see the wheels start to turn:

It usually starts with questions like:
  • "Soooo, are you retired?"
  • "How can you afford to do this?"
  • "How do you pay for ...?"
  • "What about retirement?"
  • etc...
I used to try and explain our ideas, but now I've settled into one quick answer: "We're not retired. We've just decided to be poor." Of course, what I don't bother to say is that we are richer than most ... rich in experience, rich in opportunity, rich in openness. The only thing we're lacking is financial wealth.

BTW, thanks Ann. Of course, I was being somewhat cheeky with my comments about forecasters. It is very hard, especially here on the Great Lakes. Still, there were many times this season where we left on on a forecast of 10 knots and nothing seas, only to encounter 30 knots and 3+ meter seas. Ah well...
Old 22-10-2014, 09:39   #27

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
- Closing up the shoreside life and moving out of the house will be WAY more difficult and stressful than you can ever imagine
Nothing will go right in those last three or so weeks and you will seriously doubt that you made the right decision to go. Be mentally prepared for things to go poorly, slowly, and cost a lot of money in those last stages of shore side life. Things that we experienced:
the house sale fell apart two weeks before we were to leave
the house sale came back together a week before we were to leave
the sheriff appeared to evict us the day before we were to leave
the guy that was going to buy the car never showed up
the charity (three !) who were going to take the furniture never showed up
the newspaper put our yard sale in the paper the week BEFORE we wanted
the marina we were headed too (1200 miles South) called to cancel our slip
the truck rental firm who guaranteed a truck on a given day to move our stuff to storage did not have the truck
This is so true. Getting rid of our stuff and selling the house was very stressful. The deal almost fell through 3 times and we went into the last weekend we owned the house not knowing if we were going to close on Thursday as had been scheduled. In the end, it closed. We made no money after owning the house for over ten years (thanks realestate bubble) but in the end the house felt like such an anchor holding us to the traditional suburban life we want to escape so badly.

You get very attached to the idea of what you have but in the end most of it is just meaningless junk and trinkets. Those expensive wine glass may have cost $25+ a piece and made you feel important to have them sitting on a shelf but in the end they were just glasses that were only worth $5 a piece. The same can be said for so many other things. In the end, we were sooooooo happy to have it all gone that we would have taken a few pennies for some of that stuff.

Thanks,

Jesse
Old 22-10-2014, 09:45   #28

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Congratulations for those who are in their final year before cruising! Yes its a busy year, and psychologicaly weird too. Will all yur friends rally round and spur you along? NO! No they will not help you except help you see the error of your ways and try to get you to give up your cruising life. Your family will be as negative. The will try every MEAN and nasty trick in the book to get you to stay at home.

Family don't want you to be away from them, and friends just can't understand the attraction and don't want you to be "better" than them by retiring early etc because it removes their justification of working so hard and being scared about life without "work".

We didn't tell out friends or family until 2 weeks before we left and did so by a couple of big dinner parties so everyone would get told at the same time and by the time their euphoria had dissipated to horror we would be gone... But we still copped it, and every year of cruising untill maybe the last year... But even cruisers try it on: "So you would be saling home is year?" Why the f'ing hell dont they say "where to this year?"

Guard against negativity!

Have a great year!

BTW to the longer term people see if better gosl setting can draw your multiple years closer... That 5,400 days is bull! Thats 15 years! Thats not a goal its some ethereal dream...

Mark
Again, so very true. Most of our family doesn't know the exact plans. Just that we plan to go cruising someday. We will tell them as we get closer.

But my Dad, Grandfather and some other members have been very supportive. They help to keep the motivation going.

As far as friends, when we started talking about this plan we had a lot of friends that got negative on our plans. We don't hangout with most of them anymore. Not that I had a large group of friends anyways. I have a couple of really good friends. One just keeps talking about all the places he plans to fly down to and meet us when we are cruising. Another one of my good friends constantly gives me all of those negative things, but he does it on purpose as a joke and to help me keep the resolve. It works and I am grateful he does it.

Thanks,

Jesse
Old 22-10-2014, 14:52   #29
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post

As far as friends, when we started talking about this plan we had a lot of friends that got negative on our plans. We don't hangout with most of them anymore.

Jesse
Thats just a travesty on their part isn't it?
You will be fine and make more life long friends cruising from all over the world. All of a sudden the suburb I lived in looks small compared to the world I cruise in

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 15:41   #30

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380

Good luck Jesse, hope to see you out there. We are about a year out ourselves. We now have the boat and moving it to our marina in San Diego this weekend. The house is in escrow and hopefully closing next month. Lots going on right now and pretty stressful, but very exciting too!

Tags
cruising

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: