Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2008, 14:43   #1

Boat: 37' Palmer Johnson
Tombigbee - Mobile Rivers Bridge Clearance

Preparing to move a sailboat form Northeast US by truck to Demopolis, AL to step mast and launch. Required bridge clearance is 54'. I have found conflicting information about the various bridge clearances between Demopolis and Mobile, AL. Some data I found for vertical lift RR bridges only gives clearance in the down position....not much help. Does any have first hand knowledge of actual bridge clarances?

Thanks for any informaiton.
Jerry Grass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 18:36   #2

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
Jerry,

Our boat, Mobetah, is at Demopolis Yacht Basin now. You will have NO PROBLEM with bridge clearances down to Mobile. The clearances given on the Corps Of Engineers charts are from high water (which is about 25ft or more above normal river level). By the way, Fred and the guys will take good care of you!

Do you plan to spend any time in Demopolis before you head south? One other thing, what type of boat do you have and what is the draft?

good luck and have fun, Bill A. S/V Mobetah
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 18:51   #3

I'm in the process of buying an all aluminum 37' One Design (built by Palmer Johnson). Draft is 6'10". Plan is to transport by truck near the end of September or early October. Plan is to keep it thier until I perform any necessary work before launching. Once launched may keep it there for a while or move to Mobile area for a while but eventually plan to sail to Texas Gulf Coast until I retire in 2 or 3 years. After that plan to move to the Mobile area and relocate boat there.

Perhaps I'll see you in Demopolis, will try to look you up when I get there.

Thanks for the info on the bridge clearance.

Jerry
Old 31-08-2008, 19:47   #4

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
Jerry,

You will not have any problem with the bridge clearances but you might have a problem having your boat launched. The travel lift is located in an area of pretty shallow water. Mobetah draws 5ft-0in (more like 5ft-4in when loaded down) and we had to wait two or three months last winter before the water level came up enough to launch her. I've been told by the marina that the river level had to be 74.8ft before thay could haul or launch Mobetah. If you draw 6'10in then you will need the river level to be around 76.2ft before DYB could launch your boat. Not trying to burst your bubble or cause Fred to lose any business just a word or warning. River level today was 74.17ft. You can check the river level at Black Warrior-Tombigbee River Basin You can also check the history of rivel levels at Black Warrior-Tombigbee River Basin . The history might give you some idea when and how often the river level tends to comes up.

Again, Good Luck Bill A S/V Mobetah
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 20:38   #5

Very good point....I had advised DYB of the draft but perhaps they missed that detail.....looking at the historical water levels and assuming DYB has not improved or dredged, looks like there "should be" opportunities to launch from October through January but would have to act when river level is up. I will address with DYB on this issue along with their ability to accomidate once launched until I want to depart.

One other avantage to DYB is reduced risk having boat on the hard during last part of hurricane season as compared to gulf coast.

Thanks again for all the information!

Jerry