Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2009, 11:49   #1

Tips for a Late Fall NYC to Boston Sail?

Hi everyone. New to the forum but I already have a handful of questions. I'm moving and must sail my boat (Fuji 35 ketch) from Manhattan to Boston in October with additional crew of three.

I'm heading down the Hudson river into NY harbor then out into the Atlantic on the south side of Long Island (rather than sailing Long Island Sound which I presume will have less wind?). After that, it will be on past Block Island into Buzzards Bay through the Cape Cod Canal and up to Boston. Has anyone made this run before? Are there any changes you would make or recommendations in terms of safe anchorages? Most importantly, I am wondering what the reasonable time alloted for this trip would be (no night sailing). I estimate 4-6 days?? Thanks in advance for all you help. -Joe
sailor10029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 12:36   #2

If you are not sailing at night, I'd reconsider LIS. In the fall, there's pretty good wind and you have plenty of overnight stops in CT and RI. South Shore of Long Island can be a tough place for overnight stops. If you time it right, you can ride the flood tide up the East River, go throught Hell's gate at high tide and ride the ebb out into Western LIS.... very fast.

From NYC to Boston 4 - 6 days is a good estimate, I think.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 14:35   #3

It may be easier to go through the Narrows and along the south shore but it's a dumb move. You have a 100 mile long lee shore.

Much better to do the Sound where you can pull in many places and not have to deal with the ocean waves though the Sound can be very rough too. But you can sail on the lee of the land for more relaxed seas.

If you have a SW the sail down the sound is easy. Same with a SE and a NW. It's the Nor easters which come through in the fall which can be rough going.

My advice is do Hell's gate and take the Sound.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 14:43   #4

I would also go up Long Island sound. You could have great weather in October but it could just as easily be cold and rough. Big difference between early and late October!

As mentioned, tidal current is important in these waters. get a copy of Eldridge and build a plan around the tide.

Days will be getting short and it may be surprising cold. Be sure your crew packs warm gloves, socks and hats. You could lose some days to bad weather so you may want to bend your "night sailing" rule. Some predawn departures on good weather/tide days could make a big difference. It's also very easy to transit the Cape Cod in the dark. If you have a chartplotter, one good plan would be to overnight through the canal. Dawn will come well before you get close to the hazards of Boston. Of course, be sure everyone wears a harness on deck after dark.

Many, many safe anchorages and the crowds will be gone. Montauk, Newport, Block Island, and Cuttyhunk are all special and easy to enter.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 17:06   #5

Boat: Bristol 30
Wind is not a problem in the Sound during September and October. Do not sail the south shore of Long Island!!!!

The other thing to keep in mind is that there are some areas as you work your way east that really start closing down by October. They aren't neccesarily closed, but they will have limited staff and hours, no weekday launch service etc. Plan accordingly.
Also, always have several ports as backup destinations in case the weather turns.

With shorter days and only sailing during daylight, I would say 4 days to get from Throgs Neck through the Cape Cod Canal. (2 days to Fishers Island Sound, another day to lower Buzzards Bay).
Soundbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 15:25   #6

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll take the LI sound and alert the crew they need to take some more time off work. Cheers!
sailor10029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 16:04   #7

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor10029 View Post
Thanks for the help everyone. I'll take the LI sound and alert the crew they need to take some more time off work. Cheers!
Sounds lovely, I wish I was going. I love sailing in New England in the off season.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 21:49   #8

Boat: 42' Westsail, 32' Bayfield, 36' Pearson
Send a message via Skype™ to artisthos
Re: Tips for a Late Fall NYC to Boston Sail?

I want to sail from the Hudson River to Boston going around the outside at the best time. We'll be proving the 32' Bayfield for her crossing to Russia the next year and might as well get in as much offshore sailing as possible. We'll also be sailing to Russia at the best time following John Quincy Adams trip as the first Ambassador to Russia. Leaving Boston and making land in the Orkney Islands. Though Adams landed in Christland, Norway, we will be fuging it to get some scotch.
artisthos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nyc