Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 14:53   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: The Canaries To Australia In A Power Boat?

last time i stopped in sudan and eritrea it was impossable to buy either petrol or diesel as they had none,aden currently has a shooting war going on,and mukalla is run by al quaida!

if you can improve your range to about 2500 miles go for it,though dunno about the handeling charecteristics of those small rudders in sw monsoon conditions where it blows a constant 35 knots,with 3-4m following sea..........................
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 14:55   #17
ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStone View Post
3) You are still statistically more likely to fall off your boat and die than be attacked by pirates in any waters.
I am sorry to say, but that is simply factually incorrect. About 5% of the cruising boats that have gone that route (gulf of Aden/Arabian sea) the past two years have been attacked (shot at).

I will note that the immediate trend (past 6 months) is slightly positive (fewer successful attacks on ships) but that is probably because the ships have become much more commonly armed than they were. So that positive trend may not apply to unarmed cruising boats.

Its your decision. But you should make the decision accurately knowing the facts.

Attacks the past year:
Click image for larger version

Name:	pirate.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	38382
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 14:57   #18

Anyone remember Hans Tholstrup and his 7500km trip from Darwin to Okinawa Japan......in a 5.4m Haines Signature Cuddy Cabin, powered by a 90hp Honda outboard.......

Meticulous preperation and planning will be required......
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 15:02   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

The only power boat that I can think of that has made that sort of journey is Alan Priddy in a 33ft cabin rib and he had a terrible time. Spend a few dollars and read this, then put the Bene on a ship and send it to Oz the easy way. Probably cheaper too. My last 5.7 V8 ran 90 litres per hour at a fast cruising speed and that wasn't flat out.

16 December 2002 Read all about it!

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 15:11   #20

Boat: Gib sea 43

I'd certainly be worried about pirates, but in a boat that can do 30 knots , much less so, fuel is going to be the big issue and id certainly forget about a petrol engine. You would certainly need to extend the fuel tankage/ jerry cans, even if it is to the point where the boat cant plane till its has burnt off some of the fuel.

Going slow youd get about 5mpg on diesel, say about 5-6 knots,it would be good as well if you could trim the legs independently to reduce drag, ie run one engine at a time.

You could probably plane with about 1000kg of extras on the boat, more than that and it will struggle to get out of the hole.

The longer stretches you might well be restricted to displacement speeds to save fuel, as long as not motoring into a strong headwind or current, you will easily double (if not more) your range by going displacement mode ie under 6kn.

Say you expanded the tanks to over a 1000 l and went displacement mode for the longer legs, you could get close to 1000nm range, 2 x 200l tanks should not be too hard to fit.

(these figures are for diesels)

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 15:13   #21

pete i think your last engine needed a tune or bottom paint or less load or something 90l an hour not flat out is high for a 5.7 v8 maybe twins but not a single!

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
Old 06-03-2012, 15:32   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
pete i think your last engine needed a tune or bottom paint or less load or something 90l an hour not flat out is high for a 5.7 v8 maybe twins but not a single!
The fuel flow meter was in heart attack country when you do the maths and work out the cost, but it was accurate enough, the engine was a volvo 275hp V8 in a Sealine 240 btw.

Alans Rib was the most fuel efficient with a Yamaha 240hp at about 16-19 knots depending on the fuel load. Can't remember how much he had on board but it was a 10 meter floating fuel tank.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 15:57   #23

Pete I owned a sealine s24 for 3 years , granted with the 210hp volvo 4.3 in it and could maybe get it to drink 60l and hour flat out with lots of people on board and more like 35l an hour at 22kn. (some pics of the boat in my gallery) nb was your fuel flow meter working out the returned fuel?

My mate has a bayliner 285 with the 5.7 v8 in it and gets about 50-60l an hour on plane and about 90l hr flat out

Old 06-03-2012, 17:19   #24

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Pete I owned a sealine s24 for 3 years , granted with the 210hp volvo 4.3 in it and could maybe get it to drink 60l and hour flat out with lots of people on board and more like 35l an hour at 22kn. (some pics of the boat in my gallery) nb was your fuel flow meter working out the returned fuel?

My mate has a bayliner 285 with the 5.7 v8 in it and gets about 50-60l an hour on plane and about 90l hr flat out
Stevensuf now be genuine here. Would you even consider this ocean trip in a Bayliner..... Honestly ???
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 18:07   #25

Boat: 1965 Alberg 35 #190

Years ago( in the previous century), Jim Paddock had a Harkers Island 52' sportfishing boat with 2 Lehman 200h.p. diesels built. Stormy had 15' of beam and traveled at 10 knots, ideal for navigating. The was a full-size sectional sofa in the saloon and a full-size top loading freezer in the cockpit. Neither took up a lot of the space. He and his wife Connie would routinely go from sout Florida non-stop to Central America, fish for weeks at a time on the fuel they carried. I don't know the capacities of their tanks. Stormy was stable and comfortable in all weather. After Jim retired, he sold Stormy to a Capt. in the Keys who renamed her Blue Chip II and sucessfully chartered her . Even though she was the slowest boat in the fleet, she was always booked. People knew how comfortable she was. Seems to me , this is the type of vessel for your voyage.She was inexpensive to build, built like the proverbial outhouse, and ten kn. gets you 240 miles down the road every day in safety and comfort at the most economy I've ever seen. Just a thought that such a vessel might suit you better than a production boat that, even if it made the trip, would be thrashed to trash. Don't abandon your dream; find a boat that will do the job and go for it. Fair winds and calm seas to you. JLS
Old 06-03-2012, 18:17   #26

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

I may have missed something in someone elses post,,but have you considered towing your xtra fuel in a skiff or some such??
Also,,if your going to be spending that much money on fuel have you considered re-powering her with a couple of diesels??
It would make sense to at least consider... just sayin,,,

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 18:24   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo55 View Post
I may have missed something in someone elses post,,but have you considered towing your xtra fuel in a skiff or some such??
Also,,if your going to be spending that much money on fuel have you considered re-powering her with a couple of diesels??
It would make sense to at least consider... just sayin,,,
Diesel motors will be heavier than petrol. Biggest issue is hull design being a planing hull really not designed to operate well and efficiently at lower speeds.
Old 06-03-2012, 18:26   #28

I wouldn't go out of a bay in a bayliner!!! fine for inland waters! ok maybe not fine,but usable..

Old 06-03-2012, 18:28   #29

Quote:
I wouldn't go out of a bay in a bayliner!!! fine for inland waters! ok maybe not fine,but usable..
Thought so Me neither.
Old 06-03-2012, 18:40   #30

CJStone not trying to be negative but you have set your a real challenge and a big issue I see is choice of vessel.

Perhaps they are available in Europe now at through away price but doesn't seem to me to be the right vessel. Difficult to find a boat that size/price range that is fast and has range enough to give safety margins all way to Australia. Are some long distances without fuel between Darwin and Perth.

Have you looked at other designs?

Tags
Australia, Canaries, power boat