Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2011, 07:53   #121
Senior Cruiser
 
tartansail's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tiverton, RI, USA
Boat: ex-Tartan 40
Posts: 614
Images: 1
Re: The Bum(fuzzle)s Are Moving Afloat Again !

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
snipped . .
And as I said before, I don't know them personally and could be totally wrong about that, I'm just going off what they have chosen to put in print, which makes them seem very much the "ugly american" to me. . . . snipped.
Interesting take on the Ugly American. I found that the Bums engaged many of the countries they visited a lot more directly than the "real cruisers" who they met along the way. Rather than traveling in packs and immediately looking to other first world cruisers for company, they headed out on their own into places that are off the beaten track of the cruising community. In particular, their jaunts in Yemen, Eritrea and Haiti seemed to be missing from the itineraries of the WRC.

Did they look for beer and pizza? Absolutely. Along the way, did they find actual inhabitants of the towns they visited and hang out with them in stead of finding the "safe" places where the cruisers met to discuss their laundry service and weather routing? Yep. They seemed to learn a lot on the way around and are still at it. I'll buy them a round and a pizza anytime they're in the neighborhood.
__________________

__________________
- David
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline  
Old 21-12-2011, 08:16   #122
cruiser

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,132
Re: The Bum(fuzzle)s Are Moving Afloat Again !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
You bought high. The trick is to buy low and sell high. You'd be a lousy trader.

It's good that you build things.
Now that's funny.
__________________

__________________
smackdaddy is offline  
Old 21-12-2011, 08:48   #123
cruiser

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,132
Re: The Bum(fuzzle)s Are Moving Afloat Again !

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post
Interesting take on the Ugly American. I found that the Bums engaged many of the countries they visited a lot more directly than the "real cruisers" who they met along the way. Rather than traveling in packs and immediately looking to other first world cruisers for company, they headed out on their own into places that are off the beaten track of the cruising community. In particular, their jaunts in Yemen, Eritrea and Haiti seemed to be missing from the itineraries of the WRC.

Did they look for beer and pizza? Absolutely. Along the way, did they find actual inhabitants of the towns they visited and hang out with them in stead of finding the "safe" places where the cruisers met to discuss their laundry service and weather routing? Yep. They seemed to learn a lot on the way around and are still at it. I'll buy them a round and a pizza anytime they're in the neighborhood.
You nailed it tart. I was in the Peace Corps - so I had a lot of the "Ugly American" education and training. And minaret just has it wrong...for the most part.

Yes, the Fuzzles lived for familiar indulgences like Maccas, Pizza, Taco Bell, etc. (very common) - but you're absolutely right that they immersed themselves in the culture much more deeply and much longer than typical tourists ever would. Look at the local bars and restaurants they typically sought out, the places they visited - places where the locals were. And look how long they typically stayed in these places. They like "real people" and worked very hard to avoid the actual Ugly American (or whatever country) cruiser pack who stayed glued to their raft-ups, yacht clubs, high-end hotels/restaurants, etc. and moved on very quickly.

No, the Fuzzles were not "in-deep" like Peace Corps volunteers are, but for crying-out-loud, they were freaking sailing around the world to see all kinds of cultures - not to just sink into one for several years!

In my view, they did it perfectly.

The only time I ever saw any real attitude that could be remotely construed as "Ugly American" was when they were in places like Europe where things were very expensive, familiar, and, therefore, "bland". And that's perfectly understandable in light of what they were looking for above. But then, that's not really "Ugly Americanism" is it?

What's funny about the definition Minaret posted is that I've seen a hell of a lot of "Ugly Americanism" while I was in the Peace Corps. But it wasn't just Americans. It was virtually every country that was involved in "Third World Development" - the sum of which is best stated in this paragraph:

Quote:
The majority of the (development organizations) exhibit a range of blundering, corrupt, and incompetent behaviors, often concentrating on impractical projects that will serve more to benefit (their host country interests) than the local population.
So Min, sure the Fuzzles were young, inexperienced, and somewhat self-indulgent when they did all that. But from the same words you read, I certainly don't see that they were at all "Ugly". I just see them as good-hearted "Hypsies" who are living a great life.
__________________
smackdaddy is offline  
Old 21-12-2011, 08:57   #124
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,310
Images: 75
Re: The Bum(fuzzle)s Are Moving Afloat Again !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
atoll - obviously you've never read their blog or any of the information posted on here previously. Their finances have been clearly communicated on many occasions to date. Disappointing from a fellow "cruiser."
actually i have read a lot ot their blogs,,anal comes to mind.

what bites my arse is the hedonism,lack of empathy for the locals and the promotion of the idea that any body with a bit of cash can get out there and doit, and they do we generally call them check book travelers,ruining every where in there wakes.

the idea of turning the whole world into a subdiduary of mcdonalds or,wallmart to suit the independent travelers needs i find distasteful.

having lived and visited many 3rd world countries, and seen the effect of tourism ,and thats all they are tourists.

i respect them for what they have done and bear no ill will to them personally.

i rather see them as part of a global trend amongst the "me" generation,who want to change the world but don't actually do any thing other than what benifits themselves........
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline  
Old 21-12-2011, 09:07   #125
cruiser

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,132
Re: The Bum(fuzzle)s Are Moving Afloat Again !

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
having lived and visited many 3rd world countries, and seen the effect of tourism ,and thats all they are tourists.

i rather see them as part of a global trend amongst the "me" generation,who want to change the world but don't actually do any thing other than what benifits themselves........
So, as for your last "anti me-generation" paragraph...I served my time as I laid out above. As for your first, what are you exactly in relation to these countries and people - even if you do help build a seawall here and there?
__________________
smackdaddy is offline  
Old 21-12-2011, 09:18   #126
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,310
Images: 75
Re: The Bum(fuzzle)s Are Moving Afloat Again !

disgruntled world traveler,observing wannabee's spread global materialism..........
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline  
Old 21-12-2011, 09:26   #127
cruiser

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,132
Re: The Bum(fuzzle)s Are Moving Afloat Again !

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
disgruntled world traveler,observing wannabee's spread global materialism..........
Heh-heh. Okay atoll.
__________________
smackdaddy is offline  
Old 21-12-2011, 09:46   #128
Registered User
 
svBeBe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: from Houston, TX; currently berthed in Barcelona, headed west
Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Posts: 946
Re: The Bum(fuzzle)s Are Moving Afloat Again !

Criticizing someone who makes money from stock trading (or commodities trading) makes no sense, IMHO. What possible difference does it make how Pat earns his money? The money he earns is spent buying the normal things of life and paying for repairs and boat related items. He is supporting airlines, car rental companies, restaurants and street food vendors, clothing manufacturers, grocery stores, toy manufacturers, ad infinitum. He might not be actually producing anything, but he is certainly actively involved in keeping manufacturers and producers in business. The economy of the world does not suffer because of stock or commodity traders; it benefits.

Judy
__________________
svBeBe is offline  
Old 21-12-2011, 09:52   #129
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,310
Images: 75
Re: The Bum(fuzzle)s Are Moving Afloat Again !

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Criticizing someone who makes money from stock trading (or commodities trading) makes no sense, IMHO. What possible difference does it make how Pat earns his money? The money he earns is spent buying the normal things of life and paying for repairs and boat related items. He is supporting airlines, car rental companies, restaurants and street food vendors, clothing manufacturers, grocery stores, toy manufacturers, ad infinitum. He might not be actually producing anything, but he is certainly actively involved in keeping manufacturers and producers in business. The economy of the world does not suffer because of stock or commodity traders; it benefits.

Judy
i rest my case......global materialism......aka....GREED!
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline  
Old 21-12-2011, 09:56   #130
Registered User
 
sww914's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Punta De Mita
Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Posts: 1,842
Re: The Bum(fuzzle)s Are Moving Afloat Again !

Atoll, do you dislike anybody with more money than you?
You seem rather bitter about this subject. If somebody has enough money to circumnavigate and goes to the same places as you but they spend more money there, is that bad?
__________________
Steve
http://www.landfallvoyages.com
sww914 is offline  
Old 21-12-2011, 10:05   #131
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,310
Images: 75
Re: The Bum(fuzzle)s Are Moving Afloat Again !

sorry cross posted but this puts it in a nut shell..........hate paying over the odds and those that perpetuate the problem.

Re: Taking a sailboat into Panama

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr
we are in panama and checked into bocas -- it was incredibly expensive - just because it is bocas - portobelo is cheaper and easier - the port capt with 3 other people showed up at our boat before we had the anchor down and charged us $100 us on the spot as they came aboard for an inspection - then i think 160 for a cruising permit, then immigration got us for more and made us take a 1 year maritime visa - total cost by the time they were done with us was about $500 - if possible go to portobelo -

just my thoughts
chuck

a sign of the times,they got somthing you want,and you got the money to pay for it,......untill people start protesting and sailing away prices/extortion will only increase in the yachting world .......
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline  
Old 21-12-2011, 10:07   #132
Registered User
 
svBeBe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: from Houston, TX; currently berthed in Barcelona, headed west
Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Posts: 946
Re: The Bum(fuzzle)s Are Moving Afloat Again !

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i rest my case......global materialism......aka....GREED!
So you don't want to keep those shoe factory workers employed?

Or the t-shirt factory workers, etc.?

If they don't have jobs then governments must provide basic needs at taxpayer expense. Which are you advocating? Welfare or employment?
__________________
svBeBe is offline  
Old 21-12-2011, 10:12   #133
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,310
Images: 75
Re: The Bum(fuzzle)s Are Moving Afloat Again !

who needs shoes? we managed a few billion years with out them........................
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline  
Old 21-12-2011, 10:19   #134
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: The Bum(fuzzle)s Are Moving Afloat Again !

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

what bites my arse is the hedonism,lack of empathy for the locals and the promotion of the idea that any body with a bit of cash can get out there and doit, and they do we generally call them check book travelers,ruining every where in there wakes.

the idea of turning the whole world into a subdiduary of mcdonalds or,wallmart to suit the independent travelers needs i find distasteful.

having lived and visited many 3rd world countries, and seen the effect of tourism ,and thats all they are tourists.

i respect them for what they have done and bear no ill will to them personally.

i rather see them as part of a global trend amongst the "me" generation,who want to change the world but don't actually do any thing other than what benifits themselves........
Can't say I disagree with a lot of what you say here. It is difficult though for either you or I to make a call on what the BF's are about. I admire their sticking to their dreams. I've seen your profile and see you are helping out where you go too. The old saying of leaving a clean wake is applied.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline  
Old 21-12-2011, 10:26   #135
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,762
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: The Bum(fuzzle)s Are Moving Afloat Again !

i need one pair of shoes--mine have deteriorated so much i can no longer walk to pizza places seeking hamburgers and root beer. anyone know a good birkenstock store in mexico?????

LOL


bumfuzzles have a good solid sailing cruiser for raising their youngsters in--- is a good boat. has a lovely interior and is roomy and heavy. they ae doing fine. they are out sailing and raising a family. how they made their money is not an issue. they are OUT HERE SAILING.
__________________

zeehag is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Standard Horizon Bum Out unbusted67 Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations 11 25-06-2010 15:44
Boat Bum Panhandlers sailorboy1 Boat Ownership & Making a Living 48 11-04-2010 08:56
The Littlest Bum Is Here! TaoJones Off Topic Forum 15 18-12-2009 15:04
A Little Bum on the Way! TaoJones Off Topic Forum 2 12-07-2009 23:45
Almost officially a bum. AdamY General Sailing Forum 6 05-08-2006 14:02



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:22.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.