Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 18-12-2011, 22:19   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: The Bum(fuzzle)s Are Moving Afloat Again !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Not sure that statement is correct unless your definition of privileged is going to school, learning to buy and sale in the Ag commodities and do good at it.
correct and now trying to be nobodys..ie bored with people coming up to their boat and commenting on every aspect of their lives,that is now public property............wannabe....to hasbeen....

Old 18-12-2011, 22:22   #62
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

As someone who earned his fortune in the trades building tangible things, namely boats, I just can't respect anyone who made it wheeling and dealing stocks. People like that are the reason the economy is broken, making money shuffling numbers. Aside from that, they are classic ugly americans, at least that's what I got out of the book and blog. The obsession with fast food, the lack of any interest in local culture, the embracing of ignorance,etc. Not my kind of people...
And after I paid full price for the book on kindle when it first came out and then realized it was just the blog tweaked a little I felt swindled. The guy couldn't even bother to actually write new content, just cashing in, again. I've since read several kindle books that were the same, a nauseating trend...

Old 18-12-2011, 22:30   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
As someone who earned his fortune in the trades building tangible things, namely boats, I just can't respect anyone who made it wheeling and dealing stocks. People like that are the reason the economy is broken, making money shuffling numbers. Aside from that, they are classic ugly americans, at least that's what I got out of the book and blog. The obsession with fast food, the lack of any interest in local culture, the embracing of ignorance,etc. Not my kind of people...
And after I paid full price for the book on kindle when it first came out and then realized it was just the blog tweaked a little I felt swindled. The guy couldn't even bother to actually write new content, just cashing in, again. I've since read several kindle books that were the same, a nauseating trend...
ditto
Old 18-12-2011, 23:13   #64

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
As someone who earned his fortune in the trades building tangible things, namely boats, I just can't respect anyone who made it wheeling and dealing stocks.
Commodities, not stocks. Huge difference. But you knew that right? And you also know that the last commodity scandal happened back in the 80's when the Hunt brothers tried to corner the silver market.
Old 18-12-2011, 23:32   #65
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Stocks, bonds, commodities, whatever. If you just trade this for that all day to make a profit without ever building anything, youre part of the problem, not the solution IMHO. I know that includes much of the world, but therein lies the problem. I'm not even trying to say there is no place for that at all or that its totally unnecessary, just that I can't respect it personally. Just my opinion...
Old 18-12-2011, 23:49   #66
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil

Quote:
Stocks, bonds, commodities, whatever. If you just trade this for that all day to make a profit without ever building anything, youre part of the problem, not the solution IMHO. I know that includes much of the world, but therein lies the problem. I'm not even trying to say there is no place for that at all or that its totally unnecessary, just that I can't respect it personally. Just my opinion...
Unfortunately you described anyone who's ever sold anything that he didn't build himself, including those that might have sold your boats...the ones I'm assuming you made your living on...

Unless of course you sold them all yourself.
Old 18-12-2011, 23:54   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Guess then municipalities would have no place to try and sell their bonds to fund infrastructure. Nor would corporations be able to raise debt capital to fund plant expansions which employ people.

Farmers would have to take a chance at what their crops will get 6 months after expensive input costs, rather then hedging a guaranteed amount.

If I was a farmer, I would like to know I have the insurance policy of having a guaranteed price for my product, as opposed to having to gamble. Leave the gambling to the traders of the world.

And no commodity trade mechanism would bring down the economy like the fake securitization of mortgages that the Lehmans of the world did.

You may not understand those intricacies, but they are realities. And some traders or former traders understand the risks that over a period of time they have more wins then losses. Pat is one of those. Give him a break.
Old 18-12-2011, 23:58   #68
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil

There are a lot of angry people in the world. I'm on to bigger and happier thoughts. Night guys!
Old 19-12-2011, 00:06   #69
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Little-Devil View Post
Unfortunately you described anyone who's ever sold anything that he didn't build himself, including those that might have sold your boats...the ones I'm assuming you made your living on...

Unless of course you sold them all yourself.

Interesting you should describe it that way. Those of us who actually work in the yard with our hands have always held disdain for those who do not, including upper management who actually earned their place. The brokers however have always been viewed as the lowest of the low by those of us who build. They are middlemen who get paid to tell lies and screw people over, I know because of a long career working around and with them. No better than car salesmen.
The boats I'm most proud of building were custom built for a single customer with no brokerage involved, but I must agree that many things I've built had to be sold by someone. That doesn't mean I have to respect that person, just cause I need them to get by. There are a lot of necessary evils in the modern world, as I said in my previous post.
Old 19-12-2011, 00:13   #70
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Guess then municipalities would have no place to try and sell their bonds to fund infrastructure. Nor would corporations be able to raise debt capital to fund plant expansions which employ people.

Farmers would have to take a chance at what their crops will get 6 months after expensive input costs, rather then hedging a guaranteed amount.

If I was a farmer, I would like to know I have the insurance policy of having a guaranteed price for my product, as opposed to having to gamble. Leave the gambling to the traders of the world.

And no commodity trade mechanism would bring down the economy like the fake securitization of mortgages that the Lehmans of the world did.

You may not understand those intricacies, but they are realities. And some traders or former traders understand the risks that over a period of time they have more wins then losses. Pat is one of those. Give him a break.

I never said the world as we know it would function without these sorts of people, just that I don't respect them for it and I'm not impressed by it. And in my experience people who make a living producing nothing are not people I enjoy. They seem like perfect examples of that sort, going just by the "book" and blog.
Old 19-12-2011, 00:17   #71
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Little-Devil View Post
There are a lot of angry people in the world. I'm on to bigger and happier thoughts. Night guys!
No anger here whatsoever, just surprise at the respect. But its your respect, send it where you want it, were all entitled to an opinion.
Old 19-12-2011, 00:17   #72
********* Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wow, this is a depressing thread. I love the Bumfuzzle blog, I love their sense of humour, and I love that they're doing what He and I are still dreaming about. Now that I'm so depressed, I think I'll pop over and read the Bumfuzzle blog to cheer myself up a bit.

Old 19-12-2011, 02:48   #73

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Commodities, not stocks. Huge difference. But you knew that right? And you also know that the last commodity scandal happened back in the 80's when the Hunt brothers tried to corner the silver market.
Commodities trading is no more and no less than a form of futures trading and hence a form of legalized gambling. Mr Bum does not and never did produce a single one of those beans, corn cobs or pork bellies that he trades. He didn't package, transport or store them either.

Very soon a scandal will be exposed on massive shorts on gold trading so assurances of commodities market purity might soon prove ill founded.

Minaret makes a perfectly valid point.
Old 19-12-2011, 08:02   #74

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

When you say you do not have any respect for this person or that institution, I think it is really resentment which is fear based. We are all equal no matter what we do to turn a buck. Money is just a vehicle to attainment of what we enjoy. I am proud that I work with my hands most of the time. I am also proud that I flipped houses while I was doing it to become mortgage free, enabling me to cast off anytime I want. It doesn't take much of a man to rise above anger and fear...it just take all of him.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Old 19-12-2011, 08:13   #75
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Commodities trading is no more and no less than a form of futures trading and hence a form of legalized gambling. Mr Bum does not and never did produce a single one of those beans, corn cobs or pork bellies that he trades. He didn't package, transport or store them either.

Very soon a scandal will be exposed on massive shorts on gold trading so assurances of commodities market purity might soon prove ill founded.

Minaret makes a perfectly valid point.
Pat provided liquidity to the american farmer. And he provided farmers with the ability to protect themselves against future price fluctuations not unlike the way that nearly every Natural gas producer uses hedges. And, he did this at great risk to himself.

Good for him. Quit being a jealous hater.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: