Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 21-12-2011, 14:05   #181
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: The Bum(fuzzle)s Are Moving Afloat Again !

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Oh, I see...my bad...then $3/day and 6 tins. I'd say that's a fair rate for a delivery skipper and nautical engineer in your position.
mis- understood
, sorry thougt your boat was on the rocks,
but $3/day and 6 tins and an american visa still sounds okay for my "mumka"

will have to speak to his wife as he has 11 kids to feed,belive they have hot dog's in america,very similar to hungarian food..............

Old 21-12-2011, 14:08   #182

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Interesting post in the Wall Street Journal for those of you who ruminant about the "1%" that has dominated some popular media and mindsets.

Especially telling is the fact that the top 1% has lost 30% of their income from 2007, whereas the bottom 90% fell only 3%.

Those big bad capitalists, right.

Full disclosure: I am not even close to the 1%; whether I even hit the middle of the 90% pack is questionable.

Old 21-12-2011, 14:29   #183
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Interesting post in the Wall Street Journal for those of you who ruminant about the "1%" that has dominated some popular media and mindsets.

Especially telling is the fact that the top 1% has lost 30% of their income from 2007, whereas the bottom 90% fell only 3%.

Those big bad capitalists, right.

Full disclosure: I am not even close to the 1%; whether I even hit the middle of the 90% pack is questionable.

Dispersion-or aspersions? cast aspersions on - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Cause the former would be funny.

Ruminant-or ruminate?
ruminant - definition of ruminant by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Cause once again the former would be funny. Are these freudian slips or just a poor education? I'm guessing the latter since you wear your affiliations on your sleeve with your God signature, which I believe is technically against forum rules. I won't get into the politics as that is also against the rules, but you must have got those numbers from Rush...
Old 21-12-2011, 14:30   #184

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Top 1% pay almost 1/2 in taxes they did I 1990. Sorry...find another shoulder to cry on.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Old 21-12-2011, 16:07   #185

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Dispersion-or aspersions? cast aspersions on - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Ruminant-or ruminate?
ruminant - definition of ruminant by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Cause once again the former would be funny. Are these freudian slips or just a poor education?
Fat fingers, but I won't take your comment on poor edumacation as any sort of insult; heck, professionals have done significantly better at that then you. Besides, in a battle of wits, I hate competing with an unarmed man

Quote:
I'm guessing the latter since you wear your affiliations on your sleeve with your God signature, which I believe is technically against forum rules. I won't get into the politics as that is also against the rules, but you must have got those numbers from Rush...
Now you have commented on my written errors; perhaps you would be so kind and notice that I not only quoted the Wall Street Journal, I provided a link to the article. I thought it would save those who were to lazy to look it up some trouble; apparently I was mistaken.
Old 21-12-2011, 16:17   #186
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Fat fingers, but I won't take your comment on poor edumacation as any sort of insult; heck, professionals have done significantly better at that then you. Besides, in a battle of wits, I hate competing with an unarmed man

Now you have commented on my written errors; perhaps you would be so kind and notice that I not only quoted the Wall Street Journal, I provided a link to the article. I thought it would save those who were to lazy to look it up some trouble; apparently I was mistaken.
play nicely gentlemen,character assaination is a trend i've noticed
and subjective,idealogical differences however allways make great topics for debate............
Old 21-12-2011, 16:22   #187
cruiser

Quote:

Ruminant-or ruminate?

Cause once again the former would be funny. Are these freudian slips or just a poor education? I'm guessing the latter since you wear your affiliations on your sleeve with your God signature, which I believe is technically against forum rules. I won't get into the politics as that is also against the rules, but you must have got those numbers from Rush...
Dude, I'm starting to think you're not real cool.
Old 21-12-2011, 16:30   #188

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
play nicely gentlemen,character assaination is a trend i've noticed
and subjective,idealogical differences however allways make great topics for debate............
I'm with you on this one Atoll

We can disagree on other stuff... and fight fairly, right?

So Minaret, let's disagree without the shots, OK? Sailing Anarchy is a better venue for that.
Old 21-12-2011, 16:37   #189
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Dude, I'm starting to think you're not real cool.

Oh no!! What would it take for you to think I'm cool, believing all that Rupert Murdock drivel, or thinking people who are out to take others money from them are great? Because I really want you to think I'm cool, I don't know what I'd do without your approval...

Sheesh, all I did was wonder why you guys have so much respect for people who seem to me to be not very respectable. Didn't realize I was stepping all over your little cult of personality. Believe what you want, I never challenged that, just stated my own opinion. The least you could do if you want to jump all over that opinion is have an argument that makes sense.
Old 21-12-2011, 16:39   #190
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'm with you on this one Atoll

We can disagree on other stuff... and fight fairly, right?

So Minaret, let's disagree without the shots, OK? Sailing Anarchy is a better venue for that.
both you and minaret put great imput into the forum keep up the good stuff'just dont bite when it gets alittle personal,
Old 21-12-2011, 16:47   #191
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I profess that I have never quite understood the "hero" status of the Bumfuzzles among some here. What ground have they trod that others haven't a thousand times before? So, they wrote a blog -- so does practically everyone else --- and several of those I have read are actually well written. Same goes for the book.

'Dem Bums are wonderful self promoters, though. I will definitely give them that much!

Come to think of it, maybe that's the difference.

Pretty much all I was trying to say from the start. I don't get the "hero" status either. Plenty of people on this forum have way more miles and a great deal more learning related to boats than these people, but due to their self aggrandizment they are somehow viewed as "heroes". Just tried to point out some reasons I disagree with that assesment. You guys could have disagreed a little less aggressively, but I see that's not your style...
Old 21-12-2011, 16:48   #192
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
both you and minaret put great imput into the forum keep up the good stuff'just dont bite when it gets alittle personal,

TY for the good advice Atoll.
Old 21-12-2011, 17:03   #193
cruiser

Quote:
Pretty much all I was trying to say from the start. I don't get the "hero" status either. Plenty of people on this forum have way more miles and a great deal more learning related to boats than these people, but due to their self aggrandizment they are somehow viewed as "heroes". Just tried to point out some reasons I disagree with that assesment. You guys could have disagreed a little less aggressively, but I see that's not your style...
But this is precisely where you're wrong. I don't look at them as "heroes" at all. I just have respect for their accomplishments and attitude. They've circumnavigated on a multi, raced a Porsche across the US, taken a VW bus all over the the world, and now they're living on and sailing a mono to where-ever they want to go while raising some really cute kids.

I definitely think that's all pretty damn respectable...not heroic...just respectable, and fun.

The issue is you don't want people to respect them - for a multitude of your own reasons. You don't think they're "deserving". And I just don't buy your premise.
Old 21-12-2011, 17:16   #194
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
But this is precisely where you're wrong. I don't look at them as "heroes" at all. I just have respect for their accomplishments and attitude. They've circumnavigated on a multi, raced a Porsche across the US, taken a VW bus all over the the world, and now they're living on and sailing a mono to where-ever they want to go while raising some really cute kids.

I definitely think that's all pretty damn respectable...not heroic...just respectable, and fun.

The issue is you don't want people to respect them - for a multitude of your own reasons. You don't think they're "deserving". And I just don't buy your premise.

Never said you shouldn't respect them, I just said I didn't respect them and stated why. We might have totally different value systems (and probably do), so the thing that I disrespect could easily be the thing you respect. I'm fully aware of that and never stated otherwise.
Old 21-12-2011, 17:21   #195

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Never said you shouldn't respect them, I just said I didn't respect them and stated why. We might have totally different value systems (and probably do), so the thing that I disrespect could easily be the thing you respect. I'm fully aware of that and never stated otherwise.
Stick to the principles minaret. Being in the minority does not make you wrong.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: