Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2007, 07:07   #1

Boat: Ericson 36C, Cutter, Kasidah
Suggestion for going from CT. thru N.Y. & up the Hudson

We are looking at bringing our Sailboat from Westport, CT. up to Ontario. We need to do this as soon as the weather gets a little warmer and of course need to wait for the canal to open which won’t be a problem because once we get it up to around Troy we can leave it and wait if we need to. We would like some opinions for anyone out there that has done this and wouldn’t mind taking a minute or two and see if they come up with any better timing for us and of course need alternatives to our time incase weather does not agree with our thoughts. This is what we are thinking: We need to leave Westport at high tide because the boat is in a small bay that you can only get out at high tide, so our first thought is to leave on Monday April 23rd (high tide 4:36Am) staying over at or near City Island. Then tackling The Battery and Hells gate the next day with current to our favor using times of tides and current from the Eldridge book. We are a little concerned about the next morning going up the Hudson and how currents will affect us. Our sailboat will do about 5 knots nicely. Any other suggestions would be looked at and helpful if you have done the trip. All this will be based around the weather so of course need alternatives between April 21st and May 1st or so. Thanks
Old 16-05-2008, 20:10   #2

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Arline,

I don't think the Hudson currents will cause you too many problems..
I might get over to the Jersey side

I'd check ahead, at City island if you need to re-fuel before the east river transit.
I don't think they have diesel fuel accessible. I refueled in manhasset bay at the Capri ? Marina...
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hudson