Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2014, 08:24   #1

Seattle to Juneau, Inside Passage

I'll hopefully be leaving port orchard, wa May 12, to begin my month long cruise to Juneau. Any advice or other cruisers who want to meet up, let me know.

Sent from my HTC One using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rbaty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 09:47   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Seattle to Juneau, Inside Passage

Take plenty of fuel. Fuel sites get pretty sparse north of Vancouver Is.
Old 27-04-2014, 10:15   #3

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Good on ya! If all projects are completed as scheduled this year I will be going next summer. I am hoping to come back on the outside of Van Isle...that should give me a million places to revisit in the future .
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 13:14   #4

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaty2 View Post
I'll hopefully be leaving port orchard, wa May 12, to begin my month long cruise to Juneau. Any advice or other cruisers who want to meet up, let me know.

Will be anxious to read your accounts. We plan to reach Juneau June 21. Of course, all schedules subject to change.

Are you taking any time to explore along the way? Have any stops planned? We're planning on hitting Ketchikan, Wrangell, and Petersburg en route.

Are you going beyond Juneau after going there?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 13:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Will be anxious to read your accounts. We plan to reach Juneau June 21. Of course, all schedules subject to change.

Are you taking any time to explore along the way? Have any stops planned? We're planning on hitting Ketchikan, Wrangell, and Petersburg en route.

Are you going beyond Juneau after going there?

We'll be stopping every night. Don't really feel like running overnight, but if my crew and I feel the desire to do so, we'll set up watches and see what happens. Juneau is where I live. Bringing the boat home.
rbaty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 13:47   #6

Quote:
We'll be stopping every night. Don't really feel like running overnight, but if my crew and I feel the desire to do so, we'll set up watches and see what happens. Juneau is where I live. Bringing the boat home.
I overlooked that you lived there. We look forward to seeing Juneau as we do all of Alaska. Good luck on your sail home.
Old 27-04-2014, 23:44   #7

Boat: Nordic 44

We round tripped Bellingham to Ketchikan late last year in 10 weeks. A month for Seattle to Juneau will need more than a couple of 80 nm days which will mean some work in the dark. Agree that there are few segments I would want to tackle in the dark, with fog, fishing gear, currents and deadheads.

As for fuel, we had a 250 to 300 nm range with a 7 knot speed. The only section we screwed up was Shearwater to Prince Rupert, the dink had to push us into PR.

Saw the first cruise ship on the AIS this week. We only had to deal with them the first two weeks last year. We are gong earlier this year, but not until late June.

It was a great cruise, hope yours goes as well. PM if you have any questions.
John

Quote:

japarker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 00:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by japarker11 View Post
We round tripped Bellingham to Ketchikan late last year in 10 weeks. A month for Seattle to Juneau will need more than a couple of 80 nm days which will mean some work in the dark. Agree that there are few segments I would want to tackle in the dark, with fog, fishing gear, currents and deadheads.

As for fuel, we had a 250 to 300 nm range with a 7 knot speed. The only section we screwed up was Shearwater to Prince Rupert, the dink had to push us into PR.

Saw the first cruise ship on the AIS this week. We only had to deal with them the first two weeks last year. We are gong earlier this year, but not until late June.

It was a great cruise, hope yours goes as well. PM if you have any questions.
John
Seattle to Juneau is about 900 miles so with stops and bends and slight detours we've allowed for about 1100. In a month that's only an average of 37 nm per day. And considering the length of daylight he'll have that's not bad at all. With 14 to 15 hour days plenty of time.
Old 28-04-2014, 08:59   #9
Marine Service Provider

I am departing San Francisco today aboard a trawler, bound for Friday Harbor, Wa. We will continue on from there to Sitka, Kodiak, and then on to the Kamchatka Peninsula, in Russia. We will be posting photos, etc... on Facebook under Vostok Adventures. This will be my second trip along this route, and I am looking forward to getting back there. I hope your voyage goes well for you and look forward to your future posts about your experience ! Scott
xsboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 09:09   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboats View Post
I am departing San Francisco today aboard a trawler, bound for Friday Harbor, Wa. We will continue on from there to Sitka, Kodiak, and then on to the Kamchatka Peninsula, in Russia. We will be posting photos, etc... on Facebook under Vostok Adventures. This will be my second trip along this route, and I am looking forward to getting back there. I hope your voyage goes well for you and look forward to your future posts about your experience ! Scott
You picked a good weather window. We're suppose to have heat wave here in the Sound on Thursday.
Old 28-04-2014, 09:22   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
You picked a good weather window. We're suppose to have heat wave here in the Sound on Thursday.
I'm from Florida, so your heat wave will suit me just fine !!!
Old 28-04-2014, 09:24   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboats View Post
We'll be going as far as Kodiak and Seward but not crossing to Russia. Look forward to following your voyage.

Once you reach the Kamchatka Peninsula are you continuing on down to Japan? Then Philippines? Then Australia?
Old 28-04-2014, 09:29   #13
Marine Service Provider

Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy is our final destination. Once there , the trawler will see service with the Kronoski Preserve , a National Park.
Old 28-04-2014, 11:00   #14

Boat: Oyster 53

We spent three months aboard in Alaska last summer including a month in Kodiak. We took the "inside inside" passage up to Sitka and the "outside inside" passage back. As you will be leaving in June you will, as you know, have plenty of daylight. You will motor all day everyday as there is almost no wind and none that you can use.

Logs in the water are a big hazard in Canadian waters once you get north of Vancouver Island. This obviously has to do with Canada's logging industry. Alaska does not have the same problem. Under no circumstances would I recommend sailing at night in those waters for that reason. You could get away with it in Alaska most likely but then you are missing all the great scenery - and the scenery gets better the further north you go.

I won't say "Have a great trip," because you will. It's impossible not to up there.

Cheers.

Dhillen
Old 28-04-2014, 13:52   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillen View Post
We spent three months aboard in Alaska last summer including a month in Kodiak. We took the "inside inside" passage up to Sitka and the "outside inside" passage back. As you will be leaving in June you will, as you know, have plenty of daylight. You will motor all day everyday as there is almost no wind and none that you can use.

Logs in the water are a big hazard in Canadian waters once you get north of Vancouver Island. This obviously has to do with Canada's logging industry. Alaska does not have the same problem. Under no circumstances would I recommend sailing at night in those waters for that reason. You could get away with it in Alaska most likely but then you are missing all the great scenery - and the scenery gets better the further north you go.

I won't say "Have a great trip," because you will. It's impossible not to up there.

Cheers.

Dhillen
Our plans are Bellingham to Ketchikan, Wrangell, Petersburg, Juneau, Glacier Park, Skagway, Haines, Valdez, Seward, Kodiak, Sitka and back to Port Angeles via outside. We're power with no sail.

Tags
passage, seattle