Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-04-2016, 10:47   #46

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: SAN Diego to Santa Barbara

I think that is what Schooner and I are trying to ferret out: who has tried what when SAILING north! I know I've been stalled in spots too and have pondered the "I wonder what would have happened if I had gone..." It is a matter of winds and currents, and nowadays there is a bunch of current data. My guess is that it's best to tack out about 10 miles or more to minimize currents and maximize winds. BUT I could swear I have seen coastal currents dragging kelp and buoys NORTH at times, as in eddies I gather, close to the shore.

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 13:58   #47

Hi everyone. And I am sorry for not responding sooner. I am currently in Oahu getting ready to sail my new boat home to San Diego. In October I bought a Pearson 530. She is a beautiful boat. I do still have my 41 Freeport Islander in San Diego. So in regards to sailing from San Diego to Santa Barbara. I almost always sail towards Catalina. Sometime around the back side. And then it's a pretty good run to Santa Barbara. I Never stay along the coast. It's just silly. Lots of traffic lots of ground swell.

Old 01-05-2016, 21:15   #48

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutcoinc53 View Post
Hi everyone. And I am sorry for not responding sooner. I am currently in Oahu getting ready to sail my new boat home to San Diego. In October I bought a Pearson 530. She is a beautiful boat. I do still have my 41 Freeport Islander in San Diego. So in regards to sailing from San Diego to Santa Barbara. I almost always sail towards Catalina. Sometime around the back side. And then it's a pretty good run to Santa Barbara. I Never stay along the coast. It's just silly. Lots of traffic lots of ground swell.
Jeez! How high can your boat point! I'll have to see a typical course on a map to visualize that.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:08   #49
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
SAN Diego to Santa Barbara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Jeez! How high can your boat point! I'll have to see a typical course on a map to visualize that.

From SD to Catalina has the wind on the nose. In my experience you must head for San Clemente then tack up towards the north. 10 mi is nowhere near far enough out to catch winds. Try 30 or more IMO. Always will end up west of Catalina so Cat Harbor may be a reasonable spot to visit along the way yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: