Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-03-2016, 20:44   #16

Re: SAN Diego to Santa Barbara

It is a long up hill sail. But there are some nice stopping points. . Newport Beach King harbor, channel islands harbor all make for a nice leasurely trip. Or you can go Catalina, SB much more sea time but a little more direct. Just pick your weather wondfo fill up and go. Mostly it is a motor boat ride, but I have done some nice weather sailing too

Old 17-03-2016, 12:08   #17

Boat: Catalina 30

I was thinking about this a bit more on my commute home last night. A couple of other options:

The fastest: Straight through (~160 nautical miles once you get out of SD bay) ~32+ hours on my boat depending on wind and current. I would need 20+ gal additional fuel in jerrycans to be able to plan on motoring most of the way. (Which I wouldn't do, I'd stop in Catalina)

The short-day: Stop in Oceanside the first day (~33 nautical miles - 7+ hours) Then go over to Catalina (46nm to Avalon - 9+ hours)

Straight from outside SD bay to Avalon is something like 14+ hours. All of that in addition to how long it takes you to get out of the bay.

I really like having an AIS receiver. I don't like getting anywhere near big ships...

Typically, I try to get a bit off of the rhumb line between Dana and Catalina when I'm going over. Too many fast boats get out of the marina, pop in the waypoint and turn on their autopilot.

As duefocena pointed out, Dana Point usually has good temporary berths. There's two small anchorages and transient slips.

Oceanside has a 24 guest slips - easy to get in and out too unless there's a strong south swell that makes the harbor mouth dangerous.

Newport amazingly (to me) has limited public guest dockage. 5 mooring balls and a handful of guest slips by the police dock. A very small anchorage within the harbor. I dunno about clubs as I am not a member of any.

Old 17-03-2016, 13:49   #18

Boat: Seawind 1160 38' # 60

First off you have to get around the kelp out of San Diego , so going to mariners cove in mission bay is a great first leg . Second leg, motor straight at Catalina when the wind comes up and you can make Dana point tack over and have a great afternoon sail , spend the night at anchor , move onto Long Beach for the third leg ,anchor off White Island our Cabrillo beach , fourth leg , head out of Angle Light , straight to Santa Barbra Island , 25 plus miles, tack over when you can make Oxnard harbor ,no anchoring , get a slip , spend the day at the # one dive bar in California -- " The Rudder Room " . last leg , day sail up to Santa Barbra , get a end tie , stay for a couple of days , enjoy the Nautical Museum and the rest of the town . After doing this trip a few times this seems to be the easiest way with out beating your self up . lots of legs is the biggest draw back , which makes for a great 2 week trip , using the second week to see the Chanel Islands and Catalina on your return legs . Good Luck this is a great way to challenge your sailing and anchoring skills .
Old 17-03-2016, 14:24   #19

Boat: Cascade 36

I did this run last September. Me and another left the Zuniga Jetty motor sailing with the main up at around 1900 on a Friday. The original plan was to head straight to Two Harbors but Saturday morning I decided I wanted to see the backside of Catalina and head out towards Santa Barbara Island as well. While about 5 miles south of Catalina I had also caught I nice little Yellow Fin Tuna on the troll and I felt that was a good sign (for some reason) to do the backside plan. So we toured the backside and headed straight out to SBI got to about 4 or 5 miles from SBI and then turned straight North and managed to get about 5 hours of real deal sailing. A night the motor was back on and we kept on heading north. We passed to the East of Anacapa and then headed more or less straight to Santa Barbra dodging the oil platforms as needed. We arrived at around 0700 Sunday morning.

So it was 36 hours total time. 32ish on the motor and 4 on the sails. Definitely a bit of a long trip double handed but totally doable. I really liked seeing the backside of Catalina and getting good views of SBI as well.
Old 17-03-2016, 14:24   #20

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Maybe it's just me but the stretch from Point Dume to Channel Islands along the coast always is the worst part... I guess due to currents there. The OP has probably already done the trip but I'll throw in another itinerary. It is kind of a long slog, especially if you want to sail most of the way. I prefer to anchor if possible so from Avalon I'd do an early morning motor up Catalina till the wind picks up then if the wind is good I'd tack up to Point Dume, Paradise Cove and anchor. It's a long day but doable. From there in the morning I'd head out to Anacapa motoring and tack up to Scorpion or Prisoner's is even better on Santa Cruz if the wind is good in the afternoon. From there it is a pretty easy close reach across to Santa Barbara the last day and you'll get a bit of a lift as you approach the coast.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 15:25   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mark View Post
Oxnard harbor ,no anchoring , get a slip , spend the day at the # one dive bar in California -- " The Rudder Room " . .
What? Dive bar? That is an institution of unimpeachable and impeccable reputation, sir!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 17-03-2016, 15:52   #22

We rank our bars from the bottom up , so being "The Rudder Room " ranks first in place to go ,along with the "the Marlin Room " " The Lobster trap " " Baghdad Cafe" so when in Oxnard don't miss a afternoon to remember !!!
Old 17-03-2016, 15:57   #23

I almost forgot " The San Pedro Yacht Club " in Wilmington shores needs to be added to the list
Old 17-03-2016, 16:14   #24

Boat: Newport30 MKIII

Recently made the trip from SD to MDR in 2 days with a stop in DP. Here are my notes.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2040271

I think, SD->(DP/Avalon), (DP/Avalon)->Two Harbors, Two Harbors->Smuggler's (Santa Cruz Is, Anchorage), Smuggler's ->SB would be a cool 4-day trip. I probably wouldn't want to leave Two Harbors though.
Old 17-03-2016, 16:23   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mark View Post
I almost forgot " The San Pedro Yacht Club " in Wilmington shores needs to be added to the list
I think there is a new thread in there somewhere...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 17-03-2016, 16:29   #26

Smuggler's is a well-known stop, but for me, the extra 20 minutes or so to tack or motor up to Little Scorpion is worth it; less exposed to swell from west or south. For the day though Smuggler's is great and the beach there, even though it is kind of rocky, is really beautiful.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 17-03-2016, 18:20   #27

Boat: Catalina 30

Gosh, if we're talking bars, I need to throw in Turk's in Dana Point. Known for the strength of the drinks. Order a G&T and you get a glass of gin with a splash of tonic.
Old 17-03-2016, 18:32   #28

Boat: 2009 Leopard 37 Powercat
SAN Diego to Santa Barbara

Ok! I am one more voice about Turks in Dana Point Harbor. I remember one day my buddy and I had just returned from a speed run from Catalina and we stopped into Turks. We both ordered a Knob Creek on ice and the bartender looked back at the 1/3 bottle of Knob Creek (8 ounces remaining) and said, "I might have enough for 2 drinks". And that was a true statement. Triples are the norm in that fine establishment.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-03-2016, 18:58   #29

Boat: Celestial 48

I would recommend the islands route: SD to Dana point, Dana point to Two Harbors (Catalina Is.), Two Harbors to Smugglers (Santa Cruz Is.), and then Smugglers to Santa Barbara. Make sure you have a good radar reflector (an AIS would be great) as you are crossing shipping routes.
Old 17-03-2016, 20:02   #30

Just yesterday in Turk's I actually heard some lubber ask for more soda in his drink and I had to explain to the bartender that "He wants it weaker ". No question, Turk's is the #1 sailor's dive bar in California.

Tags
san diego

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: