Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 10:30   #1

Boat: Mauritius 43 Sloop
San Diego to Long Island: Advice?

Hey all

Me and my better half are planning to leave San Diego around the 1st of November (maybe with the Ha-Ha). Our plan is to head down to Panama, into the Caribbean and make it to the Long Island area before June/July. I have some family in the area and we're planning to live on the east coast for a year before jumping the Atlantic to Europe and living/working there for a awhile.

Most of the threads I've found covering this trip are east to west and I understand that west to east is more difficult. We have about 9 months to prepare and I'm trying to suss out the route planning (so at least there's a schedule to break). I'd love to have the opinions of some serious cruisers as regards to challenges, timing and places to visit.

Our rough plan shapes up like this:

1. San Diego to Panama City (November 1 to March 1)
  2. Bum around and get through canal
  3. Colon to Jamaica/Cayman to Turks & Caicos (Mid March to May 1)
  4. From there escape north before it's too late (I welcome advice on exactly when 'too late' is)

We're currently looking at the major dangers/obstacles being:

• Gulf of Tehuantepec (Either 1 foot on beach or waaaay offshore)
  • Guatemala and El Salvador being somewhat sketchy places for cruisers (please correct me; I'd love to be wrong about that)
  • Hassles/dinero getting through the Ditch
  • Close reaching 600 NM to Cayman or Jamaica through pretty open water
  • Windward Passage to Turks & Caicos (If we can hit a good window, motor?)
  • HURRICANES!
You must understand, as West coasters, born and bred, the concept of hurricanes/tropical storms is terrifying the way some folks seem to feel about earthquakes

Because I know it's hard to give advice without knowing the crew/boat. We're in our late 20's and have a fair amount of coastal cruising experience (Cabo and back in 5 weeks, several trips to Channel Islands/Catalina). The boat is in good shape for an old Mariner 31. I re-powered with a new Beta 25 last year which got us through the baja bash. The only major upgrade for this year is windvane (anyone got a new-ish Monitor they want to sell?), the rest is your usual painting/rigging/maintenance.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. A couple of our cruising neighbors left last year, so I haven't had the usual experienced sailor's advice-dump.
atmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:36   #2

Re: San Diego to Long Island: Advice?

Not that it matter but...long island new york? long island Bahamas? or..?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:55   #3

Boat: ODay 322

Crossing the Gulf of Mexico can be exhilarating as there is a very deep trench running north south. Going to Columbia, Trinidad, Grenada might be a better route. To go north from T&C is offshore at least until North South Carolina. You will have to cross the Gulf Stream to T&C and then back to mainland US. If you come thru the Keys, you can sail offshore to Moorhead City area or if good weather to Norfolk VA. non stop. Exploring the Chesapeake area is a nice option if you have the time. Norfolk to NY city area is two days. Be careful entering NY harbour at night as there is much commercial traffic. You make great boat speeds in the Gulf Stream heading north from the Keys. Officially Hurricane season starts June 1st but many northern passages are made after that.
I have friends who did that trip to Grenada from Vancouver Canada in a 34 footer and enjoyed their trip.
naitaka322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:01   #4

Boat: Mauritius 43 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Not that it matter but...long island new york? long island Bahamas? or..?
Long Island, New York
atmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 11:51   #5

Boat: Acapulco Cutter 40' - Tension Reliever

We sailed from San Diego to Myrtle Beach and would be glad to answer your questions and offer suggestions. You can check out our website at www.sailingtensionreliever.wordpress.com. Please email us if you are interested in contacting us. Reitniear@gmail.com

Rick and Rosanna
Tension Reliever
Sailor Rick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Carribean, cruising, hurricane, Long Island, monitor, Panama Canal, san diego, windvane