Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 07:14   #1

Sailing Solo Around The World

Hi all,

I am looking to sail around the world and need details an options for lots of various things, i hope you can help and also have this as a forum entry which can be used by others looking to do a similar journey.

I am 21, living in the England, after being made redundant twice in a row ive decided to take on one of the most endearing challenges on our planet, sailing around the world solo (Oh and on a limited budget). I have lined up sponsors to provide food & nutrition already providing i can get the rest of the project off the floor.

The Boat.!
For the boat i am looking to use a 30 footer, i have been talking to a local boat builder about transferring the everything off of the hull and building a slimmer one turning it from a 4 bed monohull into a single bed tri. All looks good apart from the cost, as is the life of any boat owner ;p

The first thing i would like to know is:
What routes are available? (i have been looking at taking the tropical route).
What are the associated costs with that route? (i.e canal fee's etc).
Distance of that route?
Difficulty of the route?
Temperature range expected on that route?

Anything you can add would be appreciated.

Other things that would be helpful are;
Communication equipment cost, satellite phone, internet etc.. ?
Navigation equipment cost and what the options are?
Autopilot cost and options?
Survival equipment and options (i.e life rafts)?

Anything else you would like to add please do i would love to hear from you.

I am currently building the website for the journey, if you want to follow the progress get me on facebook at Around TheWorld | Facebook or watch out for the website to be uploaded to Web Directory
Please note neither of these have only just been setup so theres not much to see yet.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.
AroundTheWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:24   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Am I reading it right that you want to convert a monohull into a trimaran? It would be better to find an appropriate trimaran. Otherwise you are going to be doing a lot of structural engineering on a hull that is not the right shape in the first place, in addition to removing a lead keel.

There are lots and lots of books on people who have sailed around the world.

Start slow by spending at least a year with your boat doing shorter cruises before you take off around the world. You will be much better prepared.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:33   #3

Hi David M,

Thanks for your reply, yes you are right it was something i was discussing with him but it appears to be a false economy.

I was looking at as an option due to costs, though i know recognize that cutting corners is not an option.

I have ordered a few books yet i would like to get a wide range of opinion.

I was intending to be off in 6 months, i think you are right though, i will need to spend 12 months with my boat of shorter trips first.

Cheers
Old 11-01-2010, 09:06   #4

Since you have sponsors, I take it that this is not a leisurely multi stop circumnavigation. If you are planning a solo, nonstop, unassisted circumnavigation and you want your name in the record books on the same page as Robin Knox Johnson and others, then you have to do it the way they did. Basically, the rules are:

1. Depart and return to the same port.

2. Cross the equator and all lines of longitude.

3. Round Cape Horn, Cape of Good Hope (Agulhas), Cape Leeuwin. There are rules for rounding Cape Horn - something like crossing a latitude 5 degrees north of it in both the Pacific and the Atlantic. Not sure about "rounding" the other Capes. I don’t think there are any rules about antipodes.

4. Anchoring is allowed, but you may not go ashore. No one else is allowed on the boat, and you may not take on any supplies, provisions, equipment, etc. after departure.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:34   #5

Boat: Westsail 32
Read joshua Slocum's classic "Sailing Around The World"
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 14:49   #6

cheers, will check that one out.
Old 12-01-2010, 15:17   #7

Read the books by more recent circumnavigators too (Satphone costs were not a big issue for Joshua Slocum! Sailing Alone around the World is a brilliant read though.)

Robin Lee Graham - Dove
Jesse Martin - Lionheart
Kay Cottee - First Lady
Robin Knox-Johnston - A World of my Own (and numerous other books, and a great website)

Current and recent circumnavigators have websites with a lot of information and contact details - just do a search for:

Zac Sunderland
Mike Perham
Dilip Donde
Jessica Watson
Abby Sunderland

There are lots more. The website of the Joshua Slocum Society has a comprehensive list.

If you are serious about your ideas then you'll find that others who have done it before or who are doing or planning it will usually be very open and helpful if you get in touch with them directly.

All the best.
paradix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 16:24   #8

Boat: a sailing boat
Hi all,
Hi mate,

I am looking to sail around the world and need details an options for lots of various things, i hope you can help and also have this as a forum entry which can be used by others looking to do a similar journey.

Good on ya mate.

I am 21, living in the England, after being made redundant twice in a row ive decided to take on one of the most endearing challenges on our planet, sailing around the world solo (Oh and on a limited budget). I have lined up sponsors to provide food & nutrition already providing i can get the rest of the project off the floor.

Make sure your motivation is not purely competitive / mercantile. Make sure you simply like sailing. Otherwise why go?

BTW Sailing around the world is probably not so endearing as you put it. It is much fun and work though.

Limited budget should not be an issue. Unless you have unlimited needs.

The Boat.!
You will need one.

For the boat i am looking to use a 30 footer, i have been talking to a local boat builder about transferring the everything off of the hull and building a slimmer one turning it from a 4 bed monohull into a single bed tri. All looks good apart from the cost, as is the life of any boat owner ;p

30' will do. I do not understand the part about 'turning' her into a tri. Why not use a production mono? (See: limited budget).

The first thing i would like to know is:
What routes are available? (i have been looking at taking the tropical route).

Westwards or Eastward, in the tropics, in the Southern Ocean or around the top end. Or mixed. Tropics are good to start at.

What are the associated costs with that route? (i.e canal fee's etc).

See Panama Canal Administration website for their fees. If going via the Southern Ocean you do not need the canal.

You will need the boat and equipment and then some monthly. You can skip marinas but not the Panama fee. There will be some visas, cruising permits and other nuisance fees too but they are not very high (against the total).

Whenever you stop in a civilised place, you pay extra. Whenever you break something, you pay extra unless you can fix it or go without it.

Distance of that route?

360 times 60 = 21600 Nm, minimum, crossing all Meridians and the Equator.

For a non-purist just crossing all Meridians.

Difficulty of the route?

Easy if you have the skills. Some good luck helps too. The more skills you have the less good luck you will need.

Temperature range expected on that route?

If you start from West Indies and end up there then the only cold spot is RSA, but it is not freezing cold. Panama and a couple of other places can be hot (in excess of 35 degs centgd) and humid.

Anything you can add would be appreciated.

Go simple.

Other things that would be helpful are;
Communication equipment cost, satellite phone, internet etc.. ?

VHF nearly a must. Internet via wi-fi in harbours, take a laptop. Other items nice, but see: limited budget.

Navigation equipment cost and what the options are?

A Garmin GPS72 approx 100 Usd, sextant new approx 400 Eur. It may be difficult to spend less than 1000 EUR to outfit, but you can sell off the stuff afterwards. For solo, I would take an AIS (EUR 300) and a CARD (MerVeille) (EUR 300) too. Depth instrument, etc, but they normally come with the boat.

Autopilot cost and options?

Nice to have, but think of a Windvane first.

Survival equipment and options (i.e life rafts)?

Nice to have, once the boat is as well prepared and fit out as it takes.

Anything else you would like to add please do i would love to hear from you.

Go simple.

I am currently building the website for the journey, if you want to follow the progress get me on facebook at Around TheWorld | Facebook or watch out for the website to be uploaded to Web Directory
Please note neither of these have only just been setup so theres not much to see yet.

Set up a blog site it takes 5 minutes, then transfer the content to a web site if you need.

PS Sending you a private message too, pick it up.

Cheers,
barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 16:32   #9

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradix View Post

Current and recent circumnavigators have websites with a lot of information and contact details - just do a search for:

Zac Sunderland
Mike Perham
Dilip Donde
Jessica Watson
Abby Sunderland
"Recent and would be ..." ?

Cheers,
barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 17:11   #10

Actually I said "current and recent"..

I'm not sure of the technical correctness, but I would describe someone who is in the process of sailing around the world as a current circumnavigator... Although if they then don't make it all the way, I guess they are not one after all! And Abby Sunderland of course does not leave until Saturday (or whenever)... so yes, "wannabe" circumnavigators if you like.
paradix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 17:20   #11
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Check out this site of someone who has done similar
Bigoceans | Tiny Boat
Not easy but jumping into the unknown is a rare thing for modern (western) man to do.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 23:36   #12

Re: Sailing Solo Around The World

Firstly mate I hope and pray you get to follow your dream. It sure is a mighty quest, more people have been in space I belive that have sailled around the world solo. I am also planing a solo round the world. 1st I must say to me it is verry inportant to do many trips in your boat before the big one, you must be in tune with your self and your boat.

I am doing it a bit different as I am a 67year old disabled sailor, at the moment I am Sailing with Sailability ( A sailing club for people with disabilities) in sonar class boats we race every week in Sydney Harbour.Also I am lucky enough to get to sail outside in oppen ocean in 50 footers with sailorswithdisabilities working out of the CYC in Sydney. I am more that happy to chat with you and exchange views, my boat will be steel 30 to 40ft long cutter gaff rigged with self tacking sails. Also I am taking sailing lessons and puting in a lot of reading to make sure I get things right. I belive that you like me want to get into the record books, mate this is not easy and involve a lot of hard work.

My advice is plan your course, avoid paying for transit through paid waterways, it's your ocean take the long way. Best advice plan, sail, make sure you cover all your bases, as no one wants to have to be rescued, simply plan plan and plan. Also spend many months in fair weather and foul untill you and your boat as a perfect team.

I wish you good luck, good sailing and God bless you in your quest.
Wazza
solo sailor112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 14:46   #13

Boat: Glander Cay 23

It's been my goal for a long time to sail around the world. I'm planning on a loop around the atlantic summer 2012. I was just wondering how you got sponsors lined up because there are some other sailign ventures I'd like to undergo, I just have limited funds.
SPCarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 14:51   #14

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

I have been trying to get my wife to sponsor me. I told her she can have piece and quiet all the time, all she has to do is send me 500 a month. Good deal yes???
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 16:35   #15

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCarroll View Post
It's been my goal for a long time to sail around the world. I'm planning on a loop around the atlantic summer 2012. I was just wondering how you got sponsors lined up because there are some other sailign ventures I'd like to undergo, I just have limited funds.
My employer is my sponser, he pays me a set amount for every hour I work and I can use it on any venture I want: gas, food, daycare, housing, sailing, visiting family, etc.

Unless you are a sailing rock star, in a major race, or doing something unique enough to garner media attention nobody's going to give you money to go sailing.

How limited are your funds and how much sailing experience to you have?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solo sailing, round the world