Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2011, 17:09   #16

Re: Sailing Solo Around The World

Sounds like you want a boat project. If you want to sail around the world buy a boat that is basically ready to go. Leave this year.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 17:25   #17

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

When I was 18 years old I went to Canada and had a long awaited interview with the president of the Hudson's Bay Co. I was trying to fill an advertised position at their northern most outpost... ALMOST at "The north pole"! Then I confessed that I had never endured a harsher winter than ours in SC! He just shook his head, and luckily, I didn't get the job.
I did, however, return to SC, ride my bicycle to Fl and back, followed by driving across the country and back, and THEN start building my first of 3 cruising boats!

The learning curve is steep & long. My advice is "Go slow, and take one step at a time" to figure out what adventure you want to do.

Mark
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 13:18   #18

Boat: Glander Cay 23

I'm paying for everything now, and it's kind of gratifying to be able to support my own goals. I'd like to think I'm fairly experienced for my age, but there's a lot I look forward to learning. I had considered one world record to set. So far I understand that Alessandro Di Benedetto has the Record for sailing solo-non-stop unassisted in the shortest boat (21 feet). It'd be a challenge to beat that, and might even attract some media. Who knows what the future holds. I'll start on my own cruises and then worry about records later.
SPCarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 18:20   #19

Boat: Lagoon 400 S-2 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Hi all,
Hi mate,

I am looking to sail around the world and need details an options for lots of various things, i hope you can help and also have this as a forum entry which can be used by others looking to do a similar journey.

Good on ya mate.

I am 21, living in the England, after being made redundant twice in a row ive decided to take on one of the most endearing challenges on our planet, sailing around the world solo (Oh and on a limited budget). I have lined up sponsors to provide food & nutrition already providing i can get the rest of the project off the floor.

Make sure your motivation is not purely competitive / mercantile. Make sure you simply like sailing. Otherwise why go?

BTW Sailing around the world is probably not so endearing as you put it. It is much fun and work though.

Limited budget should not be an issue. Unless you have unlimited needs.

The Boat.!
You will need one.

For the boat i am looking to use a 30 footer, i have been talking to a local boat builder about transferring the everything off of the hull and building a slimmer one turning it from a 4 bed monohull into a single bed tri. All looks good apart from the cost, as is the life of any boat owner ;p

30' will do. I do not understand the part about 'turning' her into a tri. Why not use a production mono? (See: limited budget).

The first thing i would like to know is:
What routes are available? (i have been looking at taking the tropical route).

Westwards or Eastward, in the tropics, in the Southern Ocean or around the top end. Or mixed. Tropics are good to start at.

What are the associated costs with that route? (i.e canal fee's etc).

See Panama Canal Administration website for their fees. If going via the Southern Ocean you do not need the canal.

You will need the boat and equipment and then some monthly. You can skip marinas but not the Panama fee. There will be some visas, cruising permits and other nuisance fees too but they are not very high (against the total).

Whenever you stop in a civilised place, you pay extra. Whenever you break something, you pay extra unless you can fix it or go without it.

Distance of that route?

360 times 60 = 21600 Nm, minimum, crossing all Meridians and the Equator.

For a non-purist just crossing all Meridians.

Difficulty of the route?

Easy if you have the skills. Some good luck helps too. The more skills you have the less good luck you will need.

Temperature range expected on that route?

If you start from West Indies and end up there then the only cold spot is RSA, but it is not freezing cold. Panama and a couple of other places can be hot (in excess of 35 degs centgd) and humid.

Anything you can add would be appreciated.

Go simple.

Other things that would be helpful are;
Communication equipment cost, satellite phone, internet etc.. ?

VHF nearly a must. Internet via wi-fi in harbours, take a laptop. Other items nice, but see: limited budget.

Navigation equipment cost and what the options are?

A Garmin GPS72 approx 100 Usd, sextant new approx 400 Eur. It may be difficult to spend less than 1000 EUR to outfit, but you can sell off the stuff afterwards. For solo, I would take an AIS (EUR 300) and a CARD (MerVeille) (EUR 300) too. Depth instrument, etc, but they normally come with the boat.

Autopilot cost and options?

Nice to have, but think of a Windvane first.

Survival equipment and options (i.e life rafts)?

Nice to have, once the boat is as well prepared and fit out as it takes.

Anything else you would like to add please do i would love to hear from you.

Go simple.

I am currently building the website for the journey, if you want to follow the progress get me on facebook at Around TheWorld | Facebook or watch out for the website to be uploaded to Web Directory
Please note neither of these have only just been setup so theres not much to see yet.

Set up a blog site it takes 5 minutes, then transfer the content to a web site if you need.

PS Sending you a private message too, pick it up.

Cheers,
barnie
Will firearms or a good kukri knife be adviserble to take along? For protection against pirates n wild animals
Erdnase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 18:45   #20

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
I am going to build a rocket and fly into space....anyone tell me what i need??? :-)
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 18:47   #21

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
I am going to build a rocket and fly into space....anyone tell me what i need??? :-)
Don't forget to take lots of buckets!
Old 06-10-2012, 19:08   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmastern

Don't forget to take lots of buckets!
Buckets check, walmart sells freezedried food so thats covered. I have a large parachute (sea anchor) might be ok for the capsule re entry..l :-) :-) :-)
Old 06-10-2012, 19:11   #23

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Buckets check, walmart sells freezedried food so thats covered. I have a large parachute (sea anchor) might be ok for the capsule re entry..l :-) :-) :-)
Got room for an aquarium?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oat-90565.html

Old 06-10-2012, 19:32   #24

That would be awesome fish in zero grav! Food n water all in one.
Old 21-12-2012, 23:56   #25

Boat: custom 45

Aroundtheworld as a singlehander i feel you are getting ahead of yourself, first and foremost you need to find what you are made from and what skill levels you posses, i strongly suggest for you to enter a few solo races or do a race qualifier 200 mi out and back in the worst weather after that let's talk,
kevlarmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 01:02   #26

In my opinion, the best preparation for a solo circumnavigation probably would be a circumnavigation with an experienced crew.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 01:03   #27

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
A forwarding address.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 01:54   #28

Quote:
A boat; you'll need one. I suggest turning a mono into a trimaran. Next you'll need to go to the outer space cruisers forum to ask what's the best route. I suggest straight up from where you are now in your mother's back yard. VHF yes you'll need it. WiFi at the international space station so take a laptop. GPS yes needed for the moon landing. Lot's of great anchorages in the sea of tranquility, and yes it can be done for $500 per month, but only if you anchor out and stay away from restaurants. $500 a month won't however allow for any repairs if something were to break. One blown solar sail and your budget is busted.
Nessus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 01:54   #29
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AroundTheWorld View Post
For the boat i am looking to use a 30 footer, i have been talking to a local boat builder about transferring the everything off of the hull and building a slimmer one turning it from a 4 bed monohull into a single bed tri.
Ahhh the rtw the Crowhurst way! Insanity i s infectious.
This goose wrote 9 posts in one day and disappeared. The forum has kept the thread alive for 3 years.

Go figure.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 02:00   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Perpetuating the ridiculous is sometimes just good damn fun. That is something that we all need more of.

Coops.

Tags
solo sailing, round the world