Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2014, 11:42   #16

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Sailing Puget Sound anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Susan View Post
Cwyckham, just looked at photos of Prince Louisa, amazing ! Stunning! Would love to see your shots. The waterfall looks so special. Is the water ok to swim so far up? Lucky you.

S/V Shamwari
We didn't swim. We probably should have. We were pretty sweaty after the awesome 4 hour hike to the trapper's cabin

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 24-09-2014, 12:23   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Susan View Post
Newt, The Broughtons look like a serious journey, and beautiful. Did you travel north from Campbell River area?

S/V Shamwari
Shooting Seymour was fun, make sure you do it around slack with the current on your side. Take a look at my blog to get the skinny. It really was fun. I will be adding to the blog with pics and video in the next couple of days.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 12:25   #18

We had a great summer trip that included San Juans, Gulf Islands, Desolation Sound. A couple of tips: (1)Bring adaptors for 30A to 15A and maybe even a 30A to 50A as some marinas are not straight 30A, (2)Find a long roll (a couple of hundred feet at least)of storable nylon line for tying to shore when on anchor in the cool tight anchorages in Desolation Sound, (3) Avoid the torpedo testing area north of Nanaimo for real.
We did as much hiking as possible and enjoyed Salt Springs high spots and cool hippie farmer's market! We also enjoyed the Newcastle Island near Nanaimo (BritishColumbia.com – Newcastle Island Marine Provincial Park) and a killer loop around Heart Lake in Ladysmith.
Favorite spot in Desolation was Prideaux but we had a great time hiking in Squirrell Cove, and a welcome fresh water swim in Teakearne Arm. Found some great beer in Squirell Cove store. Refuge Cove was also a welcome stop and the best sweet roll on the trip. Our only whale sightings were humpbacks lingering around Zendine Pt. for most of the week.
We were unfortunate enough to have sucked a sardine into our raw water intake coming out of Powell River that cost us a day of chasing down the problem. It was even more unfortunate for the unlucky sardine.
A very inaccurate fuel gauge caused us to run out of fuel near Sucia. A first for me and pretty darn embarrassing. I was under the impression that the engine was a perpetual motion device. I was grateful for the experience with bleeding the fuel system that I needed.
Next year, further north and maybe around the outside of Vancouver Island....
rickrohwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 12:35   #19

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrohwer View Post
...A very inaccurate fuel gauge caused us to run out of fuel near Sucia. A first for me and pretty darn embarrassing. I was under the impression that the engine was a perpetual motion device. I was grateful for the experience with bleeding the fuel system that I needed.
LOL. We ran out of gas on our way back from Desolation a couple years ago, too! In our case we have no working gauge, so I do the math. I'd figured out we had about 40 hours of fuel earlier in the week. Sounded like lots, so I didn't think about it again.

Then just off Sechelt the engine died. I did the math and figured out we'd run the engine for... 40 hours! My math was good, I'd just forgotten to check up on how much we were motoring up there!

We drifted down to Howe Sound in very light following winds and gassed up in Gibsons. The engine actually started for long enough to get us to the fuel dock, which was nice.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 09:13   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

You guys arn't the ones I always see motoring are ya? Cause there's good wind out there in Georgia Strait
Let's plan a trip up the west coast of Vancouver next August. I'm game.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 09:26   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
You guys arn't the ones I always see motoring are ya? Cause there's good wind out there in Georgia Strait
Let's plan a trip up the west coast of Vancouver next August. I'm game.
yeah, barkeley and nootka sounds are not to be missed!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 18:29   #22

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

Let's plan a trip up the west coast of Vancouver next August. I'm game.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like fun to me. Maybe leave late July?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
puget sound, sail, sailing