Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 12:41   #1

Sailing BVIs

Hello, We are renting a sailboat out of Red Hook and am interested in the best route to take to ensure we can watch the Super Bowl. We are leaving Red Hook sat am and am not sure where the first day's destination should be and where to be the second day(Sunday) to view the game. Thanks for any help. Bill
billbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:05   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
LOL. You sound like us on a Belize trip a few years ago, where we had to watch the first game of the NBA Finals. Ended up in BFE on South Water Cay, watching with the university kids (they never got to watch TV - we were well loved) on a 12v TV.

That being said, I would ask the charter company for recommendations - and plan to get to your destination early, for a good spot to view from. If you want to be absolutely sure, go to Norman Island your first night, and then over to Road Harbour for your Super Bowl night - there will be lots of viewing places in Roadtown. Again, get there early.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:23   #3

In the VI

Your going to take a sailing trip to the VI, and your worried about being able to watch the Super Bowl on TV. There just seems to me to be something wrong with that scenario. I did about 3500 sea miles this summer, knocking around Fl., and the Tortugas from New Orleans. No TV on board, and really enjoyed not having it. If I was headed to the Virgins, and will hopefully be headed that way soon, will not even want to see a TV.
Nice N Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:27   #4

Boat: Island Packet 380
Great destination to watch the game would be at the jumbies bar in Leverick Bay in North Sound, VG. Might be a haul to get there, but if you plan your first night destination around Norman, you could make it up there the second day. Nick, the manager at Leverick says he will have the game on.
sweetsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:57   #5

Boat: it doesn't have a sail so it doesn't count!
pirate

I'd head over to Coral Bay (East end of St. John). Lots of places there and you won't have to worry about clearing customs your first day if you're going to the BVIs.

craig
"The ocean has always been a salve to my soul... Later down the road of life, I made the discovery that salt water was also good for the mental abrasions one inevitably acquires on land." -- Jimmy Buffett
NW Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:57   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 50 DS
Head over to Foxy's on Jost van Dyke. He has a TV in the bar where I watched a game. However, when sailing, dvr it and enjoy the waters
DeWittcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 16:09   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Another thought: If you have a laptop and wifi, you can get it from my Slingbox - just PM me. We'll DVR it, but will be watching from a friend's house, so no one will be using our Slingbox. All it takes is wifi and a small application on your desktop. You can also hook your computer up to a TV if your boat has one. It's HD, by the way, but down there it will probably be less than that...
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 17:45   #8
td1

We watched the super bowl at the Pussers in Soper's Hole last year- it was pretty awesome to be sitting outside in shorts and a t-shirt watching a football game in mid-winter. Regardless of where you are, I'd go early to stake out a good table as most places will probably just jury rig a couple tv's for the game.
td1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 09:46   #9

Thanks for the response. Can't wait to go. Feb 5th.
Old 18-01-2010, 10:10   #10

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Try the PUB, next to Conch Charters in Road Harbor. Geat dinghy dock but don't anchor to close. They put in extra TV's for the game.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 10:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice N Easy View Post
Your going to take a sailing trip to the VI, and your worried about being able to watch the Super Bowl on TV. There just seems to me to be something wrong with that scenario. I did about 3500 sea miles this summer, knocking around Fl., and the Tortugas from New Orleans. No TV on board, and really enjoyed not having it. If I was headed to the Virgins, and will hopefully be headed that way soon, will not even want to see a TV.
Once in a lifetime sailing the Virgin Islands and also when was the last time the Jets could be this close to be in the Super Bowl. Both unbelievable!! Thanks.
Old 18-01-2010, 11:31   #12
td1

Dammit- I unwittingly helped a Jets fan (although I was happy to see the Chargers fizzle again).
td1 is offline   Reply With Quote