Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2014, 20:28   #1

pirate Sailing around the world

We got the bug. Any advice would be appreciated. I am living the dream of sailing around the world. I am a few years out but this is what I have so far.

1. I am an experienced boater but not with sail.
2. The wife and I are starting our sailing lesson in April 2014.
3. I have a guaranteed income of (US) $33,000 a year for life (long story).
4. We have $110,000 for boat and Safety Net.
5. Their will be four of us going.
6. I am thinking of a 30 to 38 foot used catamaran. (wife does not like the roll or yaw of a monohull sail)

We have accomplished a lot to get to this point and want to take the plunge after a few more years of saving and sailing. What else should we be doing to get ready?
Cazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 20:49   #2

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Re: Sailing around the world

Welcome to Cruisers Forum. You'll get a ton of advice here, not all of it credible, but there is a heap of knowledge here if you sift through it.

Are the other 2 people kids or another couple?
For 4 people $33,000 is probably doable but you will have to really count your pennies, avoid marinas, and do most maintenance and repairs yourself. You may struggle to come up with the funds to get through the Panama Canal.
Of more concern is finding a cat for $110,000 that is cruise ready. You may steal a bargain somewhere but it's likely to need work and money before it can do ocean passages.
Maybe a well made Wharram...
If you haven't already discovered it, spend sometime on www.yachtworld.com and see what you can find.

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 20:51   #3
cruiser

Welcome aboard.

My advice, don't be in a hurry, take it slow. See and enjoy as many places and people as you can, but don't be in a hurry. Do your homework, there's lots of great advice already here on the forum, start searching.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 04:26   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

make sure you have a good engine and plenty of fuel tankage,as the majority of cruisers like yourselves these days don't like wind and waves,and tend to, with the aid of grib files wait for calms and motor everywhere,unless downwind................
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 04:45   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

about once a month someone posts a very similar question -- start a search through this forum and you wil find a lot of your questions answered plus a lot you have not thought of yet
good luck in your search
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 05:06   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Cazam.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 05:48   #7

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazam View Post
We got the bug. Any advice would be appreciated. I am living the dream of sailing around the world. I am a few years out but this is what I have so far.

6. I am thinking of a 30 to 38 foot used catamaran. (wife does not like the roll or yaw of a monohull sail)

We have accomplished a lot to get to this point and want to take the plunge after a few more years of saving and sailing. What else should we be doing to get ready?
Welcome along,

1 Good start
2 Good to hear. So many people dont want lessons. Its life threatening.
3 Lucky you
4 Spend up to 80k on the boat and keep the other 30 for upgrades
5 you will need space then
6 3O ft is way too small for four people. 35ft and upwards will be more comfortable.

To answer your last question. Buy a small boat in the mean time and practice everything you are taught in your lessons. Crew on other people boats when possible. Try to get on some race boats- you will hone your skills much faster than on booze cruises.

in the top right of this window there is a search button. There are so many threads from people wanting to do the same as you and many questions you will have will be answered there already.

Enjoy the journey getting to the journey :-D
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 05:51   #8

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Cazam,

Here is Seven years of a circumnavigation with two people on a 53 ketch: S/V BeBe: Costs

Bill

BeBe
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 06:19   #9

Boat: hunter 376

Monohulls typically neither roll nor yaw. They heel, which seems to be a favorite sticking point with ladies in particular. You may find a monohull for less money, and also find more and cheaper slips for it. Not knocking catamarans, just considering the options of cruising on a limited budget.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 07:21   #10

Thank you all for replying do soon. Yes, we will have our two teenagers with us. I will certainly do a search on this same topic and get what information I can.

After our sailing lessons I was going to buy a cheep monohull sail boat to get as much sail experience as needed. However, I was told that while the basics are the same a cat handles quite differently.

Also, because I don’t have 20 years to become a “master sailor” I think a large fuel hold and twin motors would be a good idea.

I see a lot of posts about sailing around the world. I wonder how many actually live the dream. I don’t know, but will tell you this… I will see you one day on the open seas.
Cazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 07:37   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

to be honest we did not need 20 years -- in dec 2000 we took our first sailing lesson - took more in apr 2001 - chartered a couple of times and bought our 1st and only boat - a jeanneau ds40 new in 2003 -- we spent a few years while working to get her ready - left over 2008 and ran up and down the ec of usa then did the bahamas 2 times and then a lot more upgrades and then to mexico down to colombia across to jamaica and down to trinidad then back to antigua and then across the atlantic and now in the med
there are 2 of us and we log our costs -- there are on this forum at
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ta-118781.html

i use to live in idaho -- and great part of the country
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 07:57   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing around the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazam View Post

Learn how to sail...
Good man.. smarter than many 1st timers...
Yabba Dabba Dooooooo.....
Restricted to Catalac's, Prouts, Iroquois and Gemini's...
Cancel the Iroquois...
See above...

Some crewing on others boats.. visiting joining a few Forums like
PROUT OWNERS ASSOCIATION to gain more info from folk actually living/cruising on these boats..
Have fun.. its what its all about..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 08:25   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Cazam and welcome.

I think all the replies so for have offered good and accurate advise but I'll toss in my two cents worth.

1. Boat size. I once met two couples cruising on a 27' monohull who had been on the boat for six months, sailing from Germany to the Caribbean. I have also met a single couple that felt cramped on a large 41' monohull. So the minimum size needed depends to a large degree on the individual. HOWEVER, you said two teenagers which totally changes the equation. I would think it necessary for each to have their own cabin and space to maintain domestic tranquility. The only exception being identical twins, maybe.

2. It will be difficult, not impossible, but difficult and could take a lot of work or a lot of luck to find a seaworthy cat in the size you need and within your budget. An extremely important factor in finding a cheaper boat AND living on your yearly budget is your DIY skills. How good are you at plumbing, wiring, engine maintenance, carpentry, fiberglass repair or just general figuring out how anything works.

3. Sailing skills. It ain't rocket science. Unless you are incredibly slow you can learn well enough how to sail safely and more or less efficiently in a couple of weeks. No you won't be winning any races but you can easily get from here to there. What is more complex and more difficult to learn and even to define is seamanship. This will apply on any boat, power, sail, mono, cat or tri. Seamanship is all the other stuff you need to safely navigate, plan passages, determine the little things that could have big consequences and keep your boat afloat, and more. This is something we all spend a lifetime learning and never stop.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 08:35   #14

Boat: Morgan 383

skipmac's comments are exactly right IMO. I urge you to understand and follow that advice. The seamanship part is the tough one. Try to meet/hang out with/sail with folks who have done it.
Once you get a boat, USE IT. Go out on windy days, anchor out, go someplace. You quickly find out where you need to improve your systems.
I'm a list guy and suggest that you make lists of the systems, work needed (prioritized), spares, etc.
When we bought and outfitted our boat 12 years ago we had these priorities:
-Safety
-Reliability
-Comfort
-Performance
There are many overlaps, but you have to get there safely & reliably, and not be (too) uncomfortable along the way. The performance issue will be obvious (later.)
Good luck.
Dale Hedtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 08:58   #15

Cazam, you mentioned wanting two engines and a large fuel supply. Multi hulls are more sensitive to overloading than monohulls, so if you go oversize on engines and tankage, you will severely hurt the performance of a multi. I am not recommending 2 outboards and a couple of 6 gallon tanks, but keep weight in mind when looking at boats. Folding or feathering props are a plus, and just enough HP to get the most out of the boat, but not so much that it makes an overweight dog. Lots of good advice on this thread. Best of Luck. _______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
round the world, sail, sailing